New HD650 Owner.. Portable Amp?
Nov 29, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #31 of 41
Well it certainly won't have less battery life than a Hornet, since that one also has a AD8397 inside, plus what should be a LMH6642 for virtual ground driver in place of the more power saving TLE2426 of the Headphonia; & even with a more rudimental charger than the trickle charger built in the Headphonia.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it certainly won't have less battery life than a Hornet, since that one also has a AD8397 inside...

Doesn't Ray keep his opamps in use as a secret?

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't Ray keep his opamps in use as a secret?

Courtesy of K. G.

If you don't understand use PM
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Courtesy of K. G.

Sorry, don't understand that one
blink.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn that meier thing looks like overkill..yet completely necessary and nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cap heaven indeed... how many caps can fit on a pinhead?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a Bithead.. Will have it on Friday.. Hopefully it will be a big improvement! I figured I would give it a shot and see how I liked it (Plus I have 30 days to try it out)..

Thanks for all the help with everything everyone! I am really interested in how it all works though.. Is there a good website that sort of explains in laymans terms all the different types of features/technologies that I am going to be exposed to with this new hobby (like the ones I ran into with just this.. crossfeed, gain, etc)?

Good choice. HeadRoom is a respectable company and has been around longer than pretty much everybody (who make head amps)... I myself find the HeadRoom website a good source for an introduction to DACs and such, although if that's the only thing you read you'll come away thinking that the Max Balanced and the Max DAC are the last words in headamps and DACs, which is probably not entirely true, although of course they are very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I must admit, HeadRoom's website is what got me interested in headphones in the first place, so I'm biased in that way.
600smile.gif

Don't forget to post impressions over the weekend!

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cap heaven indeed... how many caps can fit on a pinhead?
rolleyes.gif

Talking about cap heaven:
DSC_0014.jpg

More than double than the Cordas 6.000uF. Not that it woud really matter, but it's nice to see how long it takes for the power LED to fade, after you switch of the Hornet
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #37 of 41
If you want the portability of a combo DAC/headphone amp, look into the HPDAC. MisterX can probably build you one at a more than fair price.

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Talking about cap heaven:
DSC_0014.jpg

More than double than the Cordas 6.000uF. Not that it woud really matter, but it's nice to see how long it takes for the power LED to fade, after you switch of the Hornet
cool.gif

I agree. I rember looking at the hornet when I was specing port. amps way back. I was caught off guard b/c I was like where are the components?

But it's so well integerated that it all sits tight (the logic). Does he use a micro-small opamp? Can't seem to find it on the PCB.

Plus the hornet is 3x2x1, volume of 6 inches cubed.

Bithead @ 3x4.5x0.75, volume 10.125 inches cubed.

Enjoy your 40%.

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he use a micro-small opamp? Can't seem to find it on the PCB.

The opamps are the red chips. Ray paints them red, to try to keep them a secret....

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

The opamps are the red chips. Ray paints them red, to try to keep them a secret....

Couldn't you just use nail polish remover to get the paint off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back