New HD650 Owner.. Portable Amp?
Nov 29, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #17 of 41
Crossfeed trys to mimic the natural directional hearing. Normally a sound is always heard by both ears, and through the time difference the brain is able to "calculate" where that sound came from. But when you wear headphones you don't have this effect, because the left ear hears only the sound from the left earpiece, and vice versa. Crossfeed takes the audio signal from both sides and puts it on the other side as well, but of course more quiet. It's a pretty nice feature for older recordings, like The Beatles, which featured heavy channel seperation.

The gain switch is there to choose the gain factor of the amp. With other words, how much power the amp pumps out. When you use an amp with a variety of different headphones, which have different sensitivity, you can use the gain switch to choose the apropriate gain factor. So for more demanding headphones you choose a higher gain, and for sensitive IEM you choose a lower gain setting.

The impedance simply switch changes the resistance of the headphone out.

Nov 29, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossfeed trys to mimic the natural directional hearing. Normally a sound is always heard by both ears, and through the time difference the brain is able to "calculate" where that sound came from. But when you wear headphones you don't have this effect, because the left ear hears only the sound from the left earpiece, and vice versa. Crossfeed takes the audio signal from both sides and puts it on the other side as well, but of course more quiet. It's a pretty nice feature for older recordings, like The Beatles, which featured heavy channel seperation.

The gain switch is there to choose the gain factor of the amp. With other words, how much power the amp pumps out. When you use an amp with a variety of different headphones, which have different sensitivity, you can use the gain switch to choose the apropriate gain factor. So for more demanding headphones you choose a higher gain, and for sensitive IEM you choose a lower gain setting.

The impedance simply switch changes the resistance of the headphone out.

Wow thanks so much! This has been a lot of information in one night! I think i will probably go with the HeadRoom one unless there is a better quality (and not really more expensive) beginning amp/dac to start with..

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 41
Those Meier-Audio and Headphonia units look interesting. Didn't know they did USB/DAC/AMP combos. Anyone have exp. with the Heaphonia units? How do they compare to the Meier jobs?

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Meier-Audio and Headphonia units look interesting. Didn't know they did USB/DAC/AMP combos. Anyone have exp. with the Heaphonia units? How do they compare to the Meier jobs?

None had the chance to listen to a Headphonia yet, they are brand new. But the last amp from the same creator was pretty nice for the money as well (penguin amp). A member got/will get a review sample, so perhaps there will be some impressions soon.

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #21 of 41
hmm so if the headphonia is brand new and has DAC, and is the same price as the HeadRoom with DAC, which one would you guys lean towards getting (based on what you know about the headroom and expect the headphonia would sound like)? is audio equipment like cars where you shouldnt get the first model year..

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #22 of 41
My personal opinion would be not to go for the Bithead. Not because of its sound, or features, but simply the form factor. I never figured out, why the connectors are at an angel at the corners.
But my opinion is just based on the fact, that i would use such an amp for portable use only (alreday have a decent home amp). So if this is not a problem for you the Bithead seems like a nice offer.
Another thing which might be interesting for you, is that the Bithead uses 4 AAA batteries, whereas the other amps run on a single 9V batterie.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never figured out, why the connectors are at an angel at the corners.

Word.

Plus the guts of the Meier scream capacitor heaven.

|

porta3pcbtop480le4.jpg

|

Nov 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 41
I always liked the Porta Corda mkIII innards. If only there was an AD8397 in it.
frown.gif

If the Airhead/Bithead actually have the AD8397/45048, I'd surely go with one of those.

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 41
the form factor is a good point, i saw that they were on the sides and thought that was kind of strange

what is a AD8397/45048? Is better technology that is in the headphonia compared to the airhead/bithead? sorry, since I am so new to this I am not so sure I understand all the details..

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the form factor is a good point, i saw that they were on the sides and thought that was kind of strange

what is a AD8397/45048? Is better technology that is in the headphonia compared to the airhead/bithead? sorry, since I am so new to this I am not so sure I understand all the details..

It's an amplifier chip (google for opamp).

With that kind of question you got Andrea started, i fear^^

No, for real, there are different opamps used in headphone amps, but i really wouldn't worry about them too much, because there is a WIDE variety of opinions about every opamp used. Just choose the amp you like best for it's features, and you're good to go
icon10.gif

And if you like the sound then, you know you also like the opamp of that amp.
That's the general problem about headfi.org: You read a lot of different opinions, but in the end it just matters what you think of it
cool.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No the AD8397 or AD45048 is the chip that is supposed to be at the heart of the Airhead & Bithead version 2006. The Porta Corda and the Headphonia come with LM6171 chips.

However... Robert (the maker of the Headphonia amp) told me that for desktop use it is possible to solder the AD8397 in the (Headphonia) amp, "which gives a slightly better sound" in his own words.

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No the AD8397 or AD45048 is the chip that is supposed to be at the heart of the Airhead & Bithead version 2006. The Porta Corda and the Headphonia come with LM6171 chips.

However... Robert (the maker of the Headphonia amp) told me that for desktop use it is possible to solder the AD8397 in the (Headphonia) amp, "which gives a slightly better sound" in his own words.

But how would it affect battery life for portable use?

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #30 of 41
I just ordered a Bithead.. Will have it on Friday.. Hopefully it will be a big improvement! I figured I would give it a shot and see how I liked it (Plus I have 30 days to try it out)..

Thanks for all the help with everything everyone! I am really interested in how it all works though.. Is there a good website that sort of explains in laymans terms all the different types of features/technologies that I am going to be exposed to with this new hobby (like the ones I ran into with just this.. crossfeed, gain, etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back