New HD 820 video: Six "Sound" Reasons
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #61 of 71
Disingenuous? Posted under the Sennheiser member name as a sponsor on this site… Who would have thought a company would market their product? Equally important, how many “independent” reviews are truly that, what with all the perks YouTubers seems to get. Most reviews are good for entertainment value only. Time to break out my HD820 for a morning session - setting my Stellia aside. They fit fine, can be worn for hours with comfort, sound fantastic, and are always a treat when they come up as I rotate through the collection.
I've got no problem with the headphones. Can't comment them on them actually, since I've never heard them. My problem is with the video. It looks like an independent reviewer, but is not. Eric was involved with the launch of the HD800 ten years ago at CES. He is a Sennheiser product expert, not an independent reviewer. That's all I'm saying.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #63 of 71
Sennheiser says: "When our friend and sound designer @ericpalonen asked us to "pretty please?" spend some extended time with the HD 820, his reasoning was pretty straightforward: "I think it is one of the best-kept wide-open secrets. Oh, and no pun intended."
What they don't tell you is that their "friend" has been a long-time paid Senior Product Expert for Sennheiser.
They make it sound like someone reached out to them and asked for a sample for the purpose of review. That is not the case.
Anyway... Many of you seem to have no problem with it. It rubs me the wrong way. That's the last I'm going to say about it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #64 of 71
I get it. I don't speak English so I couldn't watch the video; however - I repeat - the fact that it was published by the Sennheiser channel should make it clear that perhaps it was not an absolutely impartial review.
At this point I would also be curious to know these 6 points.
I can think of 3 or 4 at most, but it remains a headset from which I would never part.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #67 of 71
I Think the real question that should be asked is; how can the HD820 be considered a true closed back headphone, like the Beyerdynamic T5P and Fostex TH900? I mean is the little window that covers the back of the drivers soundproof? since it's glass I reckon there must surely be some sound leakage?!
My wife is married to owner of both HD820 and TH900. And she says that Fostex leaks far more than 820 even with stock pads and incomplete seal. TH900 is really a semi closed despite closed looks.

edit
about HD820, there's no competition in terms of soundstage for closed backs and for that part they are unique. Rest can be EQd. And I EQ all of them, because I have never tried headphone that I'd prefer raw for all genres I listen.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #68 of 71
My wife is married to owner of both HD820 and TH900. And she says that Fostex leaks far more than 820 even with stock pads and incomplete seal. TH900 is really a semi closed despite closed
Well that’s certainly surprising. I owned the fostex th-x00 PurpleHeart for a short while and before that the Denon AH-D5000 and AH-D2000, I remember that the gap between the earcups and the frame that holds them in place , is very VERY slim - less than 1 millimetre. I still consider them closed backs.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #69 of 71
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #70 of 71
Well that’s certainly surprising. I owned the fostex th-x00 PurpleHeart for a short while and before that the Denon AH-D5000 and AH-D2000, I remember that the gap between the earcups and the frame that holds them in place , is very VERY slim - less than 1 millimetre. I still consider them closed backs.
And that's the reason, HD820 has no gaps except incomplete seal, but that depends on a head shape. Mine is not exactly rectangular so some leakage is there, I'm waiting for Dekoni sheeps to see if that will seal better, not that I need better seal, mostly for scientific purposes. TH900 doesnt seal at all, they do not feel closed on a head like Elegias or Flow Closed, for example.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #71 of 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back