New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #271 of 425
It's interesting that some headphones have nearly perfect frequency plot, some others exhibit a peak even on the factory graph, and people still report that subjectively they sound more or less the same. I heard the treble peak on most, except one or two pieces. I wonder whether that correlates well with the plots, i.e. how accurate these plots are.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #274 of 425
I have 20XXX S/N and it does have the 6KHz peak. 

This is the graph:

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #275 of 425
I've been away from head-fi for a while, so this may have been addressed before, but I'm wondering, is it possible for Sennheiser to tweak older HD800s to flatten out any treble peaks?  In other words, is it simply a matter of tuning them, or is it something much more difficult to fix?

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #276 of 425
  I've been away from head-fi for a while, so this may have been addressed before, but I'm wondering, is it possible for Sennheiser to tweak older HD800s to flatten out any treble peaks?  In other words, is it simply a matter of tuning them, or is it something much more difficult to fix?

not that i've seen.  seems like its just the newer models, but not even necessarily clear what's changed.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #277 of 425
Hmmm.  I wonder whether it's worth asking Sennheiser directly....  But then again, sometimes the cure is worse than the (perceived) disease.... Or, if it ain't really broke, why fix it?  Tough call ...

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #278 of 425
  Hmmm.  I wonder whether it's worth asking Sennheiser directly....  But then again, sometimes the cure is worse than the (perceived) disease.... Or, if it ain't really broke, why fix it?  Tough call ...

To clarify again...there are no differences. I've heard HD800s from 6 000 - 10 000 - 20 000 S/Ns and they all sound like HD800s. The only differences would be product to product variability...which is really very low with these headphones.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #279 of 425
Good to know - mine is a much lower numbered one, but it's probably the same as other later HD800s.  I was frankly surprised to read some of the posts saying that the latter versions were a bit different.  But this still begs the question:  is it possible to tame the high peak (if there is in fact such a peak, which I'm not sure is audible, but I'll accept, for now, that it is) simply by tuning the cans,rather than completely replacing the drivers, and if so, would Sennheiser offer this service?

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #281 of 425
How many hd800 have they made?
Maybe they hired new engineers to make new cans
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #283 of 425
I've just received my new HD 800's ser.no. 28xxxx.  Yes, they are are "bright" compared to Senn 650's or Audeze (owned LCD2/3 and sold them for the terrific LCD-X which is a keeper). however this can easily be rectified with a little judicious EQ in JRiver 19.  The holographic nature of the sound is an easy trade off for their bright tendency.  Mine seem to have a good native bass response enhanced by a EQ rise of +3 at 60Hz, +2.3 at 170Hz, +1.5 at 310Hz and flat thereafter.  Amp is Woo WA22 (assorted tubes) with Benchmark DAC2 HGC.  So, yes I've spent a "bit" (that is why I've worked hard my entire life) but to my ears worth even penny in enjoyment.  BTW, how do you get that freq. response graph?  No check box on the on-line registration form as Senn customer service indicated.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #284 of 425
And BTW, the Senn freq. response graph has no resolution whatsoever, anything will look flat with 5db per division extending to +/- 25db..  Is that an "industry standard"? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back