New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #211 of 425
Whereas some can barely discern a 3dB difference, a 6dB difference is very discernible.

Sound measurement is logarithmic, not linear.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #213 of 425
  Hi I don't have the time to read the whole thread
are the newer ones really better?
And if so from what serial number?
Thanks.

Basically, there is no appreciable difference. Buy a pair, sit back and enjoy!

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #215 of 425
According to what I learned long ago,
Usually it takes 3db to perceive a change.
So even 6db would be a rather slight difference in hearing..
Correct me if I am wrong but this is what I learned looong agoooo lol

Such guidelines are highly subjective, and probably work well for "casual" listeners. Nobody here is a casual listener. 3dB is huge -- 6dB is a night/day difference. The shelving control on my Tannoy speakers yields a 1.5dB difference in frequencies above 1kH, and its effect is not at all subtle (despite what the manual says); I wish they were in 0.75dB steps. Even 1.5dB seems more akin to a sledgehammer adjustment than fine tuning. When it comes to left/right balance in overall level, you can probably discern discrepancies down to 0.3dB -- I've built L/R balancing attenuator boxes (for various circumstances) down to that level, because e.g. a 0.7dB imbalance would drive me nuts.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #216 of 425
there's practical, "audible as a loudness change", then there's expert but indirect inference of a small loudness change:
yes absolute playback level affects perceived frequency balance - Bob Katz - a recording engineer and writer claims this effect can be used to "dial in" small ~1 dB absolute differences between recording and playback levels - well below where most people can say the difference is loudness - if you have as well trained ears as his, and test yourself against the calibrated sound feeds he has access to

it is quite likely the "smile" eq curve built into some headphones makes them sound better/"more realistic" playing back recordings at lower levels than the live performance

and there's ABX/DBT threshold for detecting "something is different" due to small SPL change in dozens of trials with statistical analysis:
Quote:
a old JAES paper gives the following just detectable difference thresholds - as you can see it is a function of how big and how wide both, as a function of frequency too

http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_crit.htm

and of course someone asking you to "turn that down" isn't going to be convinced by less than 10 dB reduction

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #217 of 425
Anyone compete previously before the standard headphone cable for hd800 with custom one's like acoustic revive or cardas clear?
Is it worth it to buy the fully copper cable to gain some "meat" in sound bcoz this is my main complain about these headphones...
I will be grateful for any responses
cheers

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #218 of 425
  Anyone compete previously before the standard headphone cable for hd800 with custom one's like acoustic revive or cardas clear?
Is it worth it to buy the fully copper cable to gain some "meat" in sound bcoz this is my main complain about these headphones...
I will be grateful for any responses
cheers

What's You upstream gear ?  
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #219 of 425

What's You upstream gear ?  
smile.gif

Hi Sorrodje. My line up looks this:
Old Sony Cd player>Albedo Monolith ic>Heed Canamp>Sennheiser hd 800.
My budget its not huge bcoz I planning to get the sennheiser hdva 600 amp together with new DAC(probably Calyx 24/192 with CLPS) in next year...
Anyway thx for reply

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #220 of 425
More experienced owners could maybe tell you if your gear is well suited for HD800 or not and then give you advices. But IMO for the budget of a custom cable you can try for example to change/upgrade the gear before considering upgrading cables.  
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #221 of 425
  More experienced owners could maybe tell you if your gear is well suited for HD800 or not and then give you advices. But IMO for the budget of a custom cable you can try for example to change/upgrade the gear before considering upgrading cables.  
beerchug.gif

Yes that is what I'm planning to do first bro. Equipment first and cables as a finish "touch"...
I think that my line up is not perfect that is a fact. I played long time on silver ic but I think copper gets some more "body" overall thats why I start to looking on good ic too
cheers

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #222 of 425
Perhaps you can get a better sound on both the new and old HD 800s by tweeking other parts of the signal line- ie cables- cd quality- amplifiers.  I can't understand how someone can say that the old HD 800s have no bass.  My old pair of HD 800s are just fine in the bass department.  I will bet that if you listened to either old or new over a couple of weeks or months time, your description of the quality of the sound would change as much as you change your socks in that period of time.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #223 of 425
I think hd 800 bass is ok and he drops to very low frequecncies wich I like. I just want to create perfect analog sound if u know what I mean. My goal is simple: pefectly detailed, spaciuous, distortion free and smooth sound. I am not a fan of crispy highs and soft bottom end. I like sound to be very accurate but not tech-sterlie. I still searching for the perfect sound...
cheers

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #224 of 425
you can have bass on an hd 800 that sound like a friggin giant subwoofer. with something like this.

http://manley.com/mmmsmp.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back