New HD 598s are hurting my head. What should I do?
Jan 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nordy

New Head-Fier
Hi

I've been using the HD 598s for five days now.  The longer I use them, the more they seem to hurt my head. The problems seem to be a combination of the clamping force and the hardness of the padding. I don't have a big head; in fact, it's a bit on the small size. These past couple days, I've had to switch back to my old HD 515s, which I've never had an issue with. Should I expect the HD 598s to break in over time and become comfortable? Right now, I can confidently say they're unwearable due to the amount of discomfort they cause. Do I need to look for a different pair of headphones?

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 12
Unlike leather/pleather the pads won't "break-in" much . It's velour and the rest is plastic. Where does it hurt? I thought the HD598 was supposed to be very comfortable, with it's velour pads and leather headband. You can try putting the cans over a row of books overnight to stretch the band a little hoping to reduce clamping. 

Ergo, skull surgery seems like your only option. Or maybe other headphones. :) 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Unlike leather/pleather the pads won't "break-in" much . It's velour and the rest is plastic. Where does it hurt? I thought the HD598 was supposed to be very comfortable, with it's velour pads and leather headband. You can try putting the cans over a row of books overnight to stretch the band a little hoping to reduce clamping. 

Ergo, skull surgery seems like your only option. Or maybe other headphones. :) 

I've decided the core issue is the amount of clamping force. I tried putting them on a box a little larger than my head for about 48 hours, but that didn't seem to do anything. I'm willing to be patient to break them in, however I'm afraid of getting stuck with a pair of headphones that I can never wear due to them being too uncomfortable.

If I were to try new headphones, I have no idea what to try. At the end of the day, comfort is most important to me.  How much clamping force do the DT 990s have?

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Clamping force on Beyers aren't nearly are not nearly that of Senn. DT990 is very comfortable but to be fair, I would also describe HD598 to be very comfortable.

Ok, that's good to know. What about the DT 880, AKG K702, or ATH-AD900? Which would you'll recommend for the best buy? I picked the HD 598s because they're well rounded for games, movies, and music.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 12
This is surprising for me to hear because the 598s are the most comfortable headphones I have ever wore. I can't even fathom headphones being more comfortable than they are. You mention you don't have a big head, so the clamping force ideally shouldn't be too high. I know this is obvious but just in case, have you extended out the pads from the main headband to lengthen it?  If you're keeping it in its stock configuration, its going to be really small and probably too uncomfortable then. But once you extend it out, it can become wide enough for almost all head sizes.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 12
Ditto guys, the headphones on the Senn line are very comfy. Definitely the op needs to try another headphones. 
Or maybe stretch them a bit before using them? 

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
This is surprising for me to hear because the 598s are the most comfortable headphones I have ever wore. I can't even fathom headphones being more comfortable than they are. You mention you don't have a big head, so the clamping force ideally shouldn't be too high. I know this is obvious but just in case, have you extended out the pads from the main headband to lengthen it?  If you're keeping it in its stock configuration, its going to be really small and probably too uncomfortable then. But once you extend it out, it can become wide enough for almost all head sizes.

Yes, I have tried that.

I've put a lot of thought into this, and the issue is definitely the amount of clamping force. I have POTS/Dysautonomia which is likely the cause of my head pressure. sensitivity. I think the only reason my HD 515s didn't hurt my head when I first got them because my condition wasn't as bad as it is now. Also, now my HD 515s are broken in (literally because the sides cracked.) I recall reading a post that said the DT 880s have a metal bendable headband. The person had a similar issue and simply bent the headband accordingly to accommodate their head.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 12
If you like the sound of the HD 598s, you might look into the AKG K601s, which don't sound too different, and are in the top 1 or 2 most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  Super lightweight, hardly any clamping force.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Ok, that's good to know. What about the DT 880, AKG K702, or ATH-AD900? Which would you'll recommend for the best buy? I picked the HD 598s because they're well rounded for games, movies, and music.

I haven't heard the ATH-AD900 but if you like the HD598, the closest of the bunch is DT880. AKG K702 do alot of things better but it's a different sound signature.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm going to go with the DT880s. Should I go with Premium over Pro? I read that the Premium clamp slightly less and are slightly more comfortable. But the price difference is pretty significant, $310 vs $220. Are the premium model really worth the extra money?

I also remember reading that the 250 Ohm pair were the "best."

EDIT: I guess I'll plan on going with the Premium to be safe. If anyone has any feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back