New guy, new gear, comments?
Jan 24, 2011 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nizfiz

New Head-Fier
Hi, all. This covers a few of the different boards you have here, but I had to post in one place so I figured this was the most appropriate.

I'm new to all this, and I've been scouring your awesome forums for the last two weeks for information on getting myself a portable setup. And, before asking questions I made some purchases...

I've increasingly been getting into bass heavy electronic genres like dubstep and drum n' bass from a broader background of electro. I also listen to every other imaginable genre, but this is my focus at the moment. Obviously most of this music is listened to in very loud clubs where the bass and sub-bass are litterally rattling your bones. I'm not expecting quite that from a portable set-up, but I would like something acceptable. If you listen to dubstep, which is usually driven more by a heavy near-constant bassline rather than a 4-to-the-floor beat like other electronic genres, you know that it is pointless to listen to on common headphones.

I'm a university student and don't have a ton of cash so this is what I've purchased so far, I'd like some input:

-Futuresonics Atrio M9s new for $99
-Sansa Clip+ 8gb intend to Rockbox for $50
-FiiO E5 for $20 because it was cheap

I'm also considering a DIY CMoy amp as I have a few friends who are 3rd year electrical engineers, and who I'm sure would do a fine job of figuring out the simple circuitry as well as constructing it with the equipment in their labs. Depending on components obviously, could I get a better SQ amp than the E5?

Thanks again, happy to have joined. My research just kept bringing back to these forums.

EDIT: hell, I'll share the dubstep love. if you dont like it, and this is... uhhhh... very tame dubstep, at least it will give you an idea of what I need sound wise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XmLcnYSwQ
If you do like it, you might try something a little harsher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pyn87oJIlg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back