New Grado SR-225X loaner program
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
Hi All,

We are now taking requests for participation in our new Grado SR-225X loaner program. Same rules as always... the SR-225X will ship out by Friday of this week to the first one to sign up.

gradosr225x1.jpg

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your name and address, telephone number and your Head-Fi user name to me (Todd) at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.

You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient.

You MUST write a review and post it in this loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as this announcement for the loaner program. Please post the review here first and feel free to post it somewhere else if you like!

Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Our loaner programs are USA only. We are restricted from shipping/selling outside the USA on most products.

I look forward to hearing from all who are interested...

Todd
TTVJAudio.com

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Might you do any of the woodies in the future? Like RS1 or RS2, or GS1000?

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 12
The Loaner pair are shipping out tomorrow. There is plenty of room for more people to sign up. See the loaner rules in my initial post!

We may do a loaner program with the Grado woodies but not for a little while - I am going to introduce a couple new loaner programs over the next few days.

Todd

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 12
FD22B359-7FD3-4546-961D-DF3E8B378BCE.jpeg

Evolution
This month, Grado released an updated iteration of the SR225 model bringing it to it’s fourth generation. This headphone line made its debut almost twenty years ago starting with the SR225. The model designations throughout its evolution have been; SR225, SR225i SR225e. The new model has been designated the SR225x. I was provided a pair of SR225x on loan from Todd The Vinyl Junkie.

573A5E1E-9A10-4CA5-AA1E-595F68477E76.jpeg

Pictured left to right: SR225, SR225e, SR225x

Todd The Vinyl Junkie has been the original provider of aftermarket earpads for the original SR225 for the past two decades. Back then headphone enthusiasts did not have the plethora of aftermarket headphone items that are available today. Back then, Grado began to take notice that most of their customers were using “Todd pads” and began offering similar earpads to their future generations of headphones. Todd Green, the owner, still offers many headphones and headphone accessories today. He has given so much to the headphone community as far back as I can remember and has achieved the rank of Audio Zen Master. My last purchase from him was a Grado Phono Cartridge for my turntable. I highly recommend that you check out his store for headphones or any other of your audio needs.

7506BC48-911C-4FC5-A091-E11C33DC1E4B.jpeg

Pictured: SR225x F-pad on left vs. Hemp F-pad on right.

New Earpads
Traditionally, the SR225 models have sported L-pads through each generation from SR225, SR225i SR225e. Surprisingly Grado has moved to the F-pads which are the earpads on the highly acclaimed Grado Hemp headphone. F-pad on-ear earpads may or may not be comfortable for you. I can wear them for two-hours at which I then slide the headphone pads forward. Then, I am good for another many hours. Upon close side by side comparison, I noticed that the slits over the driver seem to be more pronounced grooves on the F-pads from my pair of Grado Hemp while the slits on the SR225x earpads are simply cut into the pad leaving no groove. This variation may not make any difference in sound reproduction but some Grado aficionados may want to be aware.

44FF7D81-9C65-4C50-913E-2F3FAF423A86.jpeg

Cable Changes
The 69 inch cable has been wrapped with a high quality braided sleeving. So, the cable seems stiffer. The original SR225 cable was terminated with a quarter-inch plug. However, Grado has made the move like most headphone manufacturers to an eighth-inch plug and including a quarter-inch adapter on the SR225x and most of their product line. I am old school and prefer the quarter-inch plug. Usually when I buy headphones that come with an eighth-inch plug, I chop it off and replace the end with a quarter-inch plug. I really wish all Grado headphones came with a quarter-inch plug, but I think I may be in the minority here.

B68491EE-9209-45B0-91BE-EE6D2D9E1C0D.jpeg

Pictured: Discontinued SR225e on the left vs. new SR225x on the right.

Padded Headband
The headband of the SR225 line has traditionally been a simple lightweight band. Plain and simple. Once again the SR225x has moved away from tradition by adding padding to the underside of the band. I have never needed padding as Grado headphones are very lightweight. But some may appreciate the additional padding.

D1632682-14D6-4738-8CED-F3D5FD6CFB23.jpeg

Pictured: Discontinued SR225e on the left vs. new SR225x on the right.

Amplification Fable
That Grado sound! Twenty years ago while in love with my Beyerdynamic DT880 producing sweet sounding female vocals and classical music, I found them lacking when listening to rock tracks. I felt that rock music was sounding quite odd through my beloved Beyers. So, I did what any other rock fan on Head-fi would do. Twenty years ago I purchased my Grado SR225 and it opened my ears to rock and transported me directly to the front row of the stage. Headbanging commenced.

B1F48B5D-1E55-411C-A458-AD1DC7C732F0.jpeg

Pictured left to right: SR225, SR225e, SR225x

Having found the pinnacle rock headphone in the Grado SR225, I acquired audio bliss through a magical combination of Little Dot I+ headphone amplifier. Head-fi provided the magical recipe to upgrade the opamp to the LT1364 and tubes to Sylvania Gold Brand 408A gold pin. I paired the Grado SR225x with my dusty old rig and it sang.
It sang Beautifully.
Beautifully.

B1FB70E3-46AA-4396-B516-575984406799.jpeg

Amplification Shall Not End Hear.
I have a rotating collection of about fifty headphone amplifiers. I put the Grado SR225x through its paces. For an entire week I was able to listen to many of my favorite rock tracks from the likes of Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Nickelback, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, and of course some Led Zeppelin. What I found was that the Grado SR225x sounds good through all amplifiers. It is most definitely an upgrade from the previous model. With this upgraded SR225x, Grado has fixed many of the problems found in the old models. The original SR225 had little bass extension and piercing highs. This meant that listeners had to listen at low volumes and pair it with synergistic amplifiers, hence the magical recipe previously mentioned. With the previous just discontinued model SR225e, Grado has made huge improvements in leaps and bounds. With this newest upgrade to the SR225x, they have finally nailed it. We now have added warmth and more controlled highs and upper mids. However, I did find two amplifiers that did not pair as well with the SR225x compared to my other amplifiers. The two headphone amps that did not pair well were the Singxer SA-1 and the Schiit Jotunheim. So, I don't recommend pairing them with the Grado SR225x if you can avoid it. I was shocked since these two amplifiers were usually very good performers with most of my headphone collection.

The Right Amp
Which amplifier should you use with the SR225x? The Singxer SA-1 amp ties with my Headamp Gilmore Lite mk2 as the most awesome amplifiers for the money. So I was shocked to find that the pairing with the Singxer SA-1 brought out piercing highs and lacking lows with the Grado SR225x. The Schiit Jotunheim also had the same failed pairing. Surprisingly, except for the two mentioned amplifiers, almost all headphone amplifiers sound very good with the SR225x. You can expect a full bodied balanced full tone including in the bass region, which the previous SR225e lacked. Out of all my headphone amplifiers, the solid state headphone amplifier that paired best with the Grado SR225x was the Headamp Gilmore Lite mk2 $800. With this pairing, lows were even more punchy and the overall sound became warmer. It still retains the Grado front row stage presence. Guitars and vocals are lively like one would expect from a Grado headphone. This is a winning combo. So, is the Headamp Gilmore Lite mk2 paired with Grado SR225 a winning combination towards audio nirvana? Well, yes. But...

Glass and Metal
Remember that I had reminisced about the Little Dot I+, Sylvania Gold magic? Well, it turns out that Grado headphones continue to be tube Gods. I paired the Grado SR225x with a DarkVoice 336SE $250 tube headphone amplifier with tubes upgraded to Novosibirsk 6H8C $5 and Svetlana 6N5S $15. Did this sound better than the Headamp Gilmore Lite mk2 $800? Absolutely! If you ever wondered why some people are buying these glass and metal devices, this is a good example. This under $300 tube amplification setup bests my favorite solid state headphone amplifier and does so at a $500 savings! The sound was similar to the Gilmore Lite mk2 but the tube setup has the added roundness and wetness that only a tube can bring to the table. I would pick the tube setup over the solid state setup any day of the week. Budget kings for rock lovers.

3D8DFA94-DF5D-48E5-B2FB-5F321A462D87.jpeg

High-End
Could the Grado SR225x sound even better? Listen. So, I have a high end tube amplifier that one would not be buying if on a budget. It is a Ray Samuels Emmeline II The Raptor $1,250 (with upgraded color option) This is the deal. One has to choose to spend money or not. "You take the blue pill...the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill...you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the money tube hole goes.” Take the sound of the Darkvoice tube amp and warm up the highs like a hot liquid. Smooth out and tame the unruly upper mids and you have the RSA Raptor. Now you are listening to a poor mans Grado Hemp. Am I saying that the Grado SR225x $225 can be equal to the Grado Hemp $469. No contest, the Grado Hemp wins but then again it costs twice as much. But if you are on a budget and want to pay half the price of the Grado Hemp, yes, get the Grado SR225x. With a $300 tube amp setup and a $225 Grado SR225x you can get your ticket to Rocker Heaven for the low price of $525. But if you are a high-end audiophile with deep pockets, go with the Grado Hemp.

5F4DBF04-95EE-46F1-9D04-AC2E3693A2B2.jpeg

The Sound Of Inevitability
Ultimately, at their price point, these are the headphones to buy to rock out. If you have a tube amplifier, even the inexpensive Darkvoice, then you owe it to yourself to get the Grado SR225x or some other Grado variant. If you listen to rock music, how can you not?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Hey, Todd, thanks for the loaner tour.

I joined this tour because the original Grado SR125 was my gateway to good headphone sound. I still have that pair, although I soon moved up to the original SR325. Those were and are superb. They filled out the bass and expanded the soundstage I enjoyed on the SR125.

So I jumped at the chance to hear new Grados made with a few more decades of experience and the added (lowercase) x factor. Photo of the family reunion is below.

From what I've been reading, the SR225x are different from previous generations of that model. But it turns out that mostly, after years of the SR325, the SR225x sound...familiar.

Any Head-Fier knows that switching between different earphone brands, or even models, can feel like a major remix for the music -- but not with these. Timbres of instruments and voices are clearly shaped the same way. Seems like Grado decided long ago on what it considers natural and exciting.

I like that sound. With Grados, it's as if you're there live, the stage is dark, a pinpoint spotlight shines on each instrument as it appears until, somehow, all those spotlights blend.

OK, on to the specifics of the SR225x. TL;dr They need different pads, and they're not quite on par with my longtime SR325.

One advance: SR225x are much easier to drive. I'm not using megadollar sources. From an Astell & Kern player with volume gradations up to 150, on the new SR225x I get the same volume at 90 that I used to crank up to 105 on the SR325. Using the volume keys on a MacBook Air, the approximate volume match is two or three steps lower on the SR225x. If you imagine the Schitt Magni volume knob on a clockface, 11 a.m. for the SR225x equals 2 p.m. for the SR325. (None of these are precisely measured--just by ear.)

I definitely appreciate the SR225x's padded headband, which is much more comfortable than SR125. I'm not so thrilled with the hefty new cable, which is stiffer and more microphonic than the older Grado cables. Yes, it's anti-tangle, though I've never found that a problem; it also helps prevent the longtime Grado tendency for the cord to get twisted at the connection to the driver. The bulky, relatively inflexible cord also makes even clearer that Grado expects these to be used at home, not portably. (Meanwhile, a non-detachable cable, still, in 2021? Really?)

The SR225x phones themselves (not counting the weighty cord) are nearly as featherweight as the old SR125; of course the SR325 is noticeably heavier with its metal housings.

OK, downsides. The SR225x have flat foam F pads compared to the bowl-shaped "L-Cush" of my old SR125 and SR325. What was Grado thinking?

The difference between F and L pads -- an additional half an inch of foam pushing back from the ear -- seriously broadens the soundstage, so the vocals aren't nose-to-nose with you. I listened extensively with the flat pads, and things just felt squashed. (Using the flat pads on the old SR325 shifted them toward a pressed-up-to-the-control-room-glass sensation, too.)

Grados are so much more capable! Putting L-Cush pads on the SR225x helped a lot.

BTW, I also tried Sennheiser HD414 pads. Yes, they fit the drivers exactly and are soft and extra-comfortable. But they sound like total mush. (I haven't cut out the centers; probably should.) People have noted the Geekria L-cush pads in Grado fan thread, but there's also an ultra-cheap substitute for L-Cush pads--not as stiff and substantial as OEM Grado, but providing the needed thickness. These from XRHYY: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32508420454.html

Anyway, I moved some OEM Grado L-Cush onto the SR225x. And with those, they are close but still a little short of the old SR325.

The SR225x with L-Cush are pretty enjoyable on their own -- natural, balanced, reasonably spacious. I listened to a sine sweep (https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php) through both SR225x and SR325 and WHOA! can you hear the peak around 2k Hz. (You can see it in the graphs Crinacle has for other Grado models; to me, the rise starts a little above 1800 Hz.) There's also an audible rise from around 225-850 Hz on both sets; hello, vocals and guitars (and say hi to Fletcher-Munson too).

On close listening, the SR225x are a bit more V-shaped than the SR325; mid-bass is up and vocals (esp. male) can be veiled. (Listen to Kanye West f. Rihanna, "All of the Lights," around 2:24 where it gets cluttered; on the SR225x, the drums overshadow the vocals.) The flat pads do push the vocals more forward than the L-Cush pads--but, again, by shrinking the soundstage.

My old SR325 still have more of all the good stuff: transparency, roundness, detail, separation, depth, sparkle and bite when called for. The fundamental pitch comes through more clearly on deep bass tones and bass drum hits; vocals are more individualized and three-dimensional; percussion transients are a little snappier. That Grado spotlight just seems to shine a little more brightly on each element.

I'd be very curious to hear the SR325x, which are getting a lot of Head-Fi love. For now, the SR225x won't dethrone my old-school SR325.

Attachments

• SRgrouphug.jpg
    SRgrouphug.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 12
T
IMG_1512.JPG
he Grado 225x is the latest update in a long history of Grado revisions to the Prestige line of headphones. The 60, 80, 125, 225 and 325 are long standing audiophile standard, and have been go to recommendations in their price class for years. Over the years, the models were signified by just a number (for example; the 80) then there was an "i" added after the model number, possibly due to the then current fashion of naming everything with an "i". The iPod had that effect on the world. The "i" models were supplant4ed by the "e", and the "e" by the newest iteration, the "x".

The models haven't changed that much in exterior appearance, remaining black plastic (or metal for the 325 model) open backed cups, single driver, lightweight leather headband with anachronistic adjustment mechanism, and an attached single ended cord. They have been described as retro, hipster, and unique. At this point, the design has truly become a classic. It is recognizable from across the room, and quite unlike anything else. If you like it, you like it. For those who have not used an open backed headphone before, be warned you will be sharing your music with everyone around you. These are not for cube dwellers or open office plans. This particular pair comes with the F pads, which are excruciatingly uncomfortable. After market pads are readily available. All reviewing listening was done with stock pads.

This particular reviewer must admit to having a strong attachment to his 20-year-old model 60s. Lightweight, bass shy, and just barely detailed enough for critical listening, they predate the headphone revolution, but still serve as a lightweight breathable desk set. However, over the years the thick plastic-coated attached cable has become more and more irritating. The new fabric weave covered cord added on the "x" generation was very interesting, and most of the reason for this review. The bad news is, they could not have done a worse job upgrading the cable. If you did not know Grado's history with cords, it would be understandable for you to think that this cord is a practical joke. It is the worst headphone cable ever. It is thick, heavy, coarse feeling and permanently attached. It is like a vacuum cleaner cord from 1952. The cord is literally almost as heavy as the headphones. It is stiff too, and the Grado cups spin freely on their mounts making for some truly epic snarls and impossibly bad comfort issues if you have not been paying attention to how you pick them up and set them down.

IMG_1514.jpeg
IMG_1513.jpeg

So how do they sound? They sound like Grados. Detailed treble, leaning to grainy or bright, forward midrange, with enough bass to satisfy for most musical genres. They have always had a reputation as a rock and roll headphone, and they stay solidly in their lane with this revision.

The 225x thumps with aplomb on kick drums and electric bass lines. The bass has adequate extension for instruments, if not for the deepest electronica lines., The driver control is not as refined as is possible when spending more, so although the excitement of the thump is there, you do sometimes miss the toe tapping that a really tight rhythm section can cause. Mids are a strange mix of recessed and forward. It is almost as if it prioritizes vocals above instruments recorded in similar vocal ranges. The highs also have areas of prominence and recession. It's a signature sound, not a smooth or reference type response.

Imaging and spatial audio cues are present, but not as perfectly spread across the stage as you would like. Compared to higher end headphones, they tend to bunch towards the middle and two sides. Listening to larger scale orchestral works with a lot of independent parts and instruments it is more difficult to pinpoint specific instruments in space, and at times the headphone gets congested, simply unable to keep up with the demand of extremely complicated dense layers of music.

Comparing them to the headphones in their price range is an odd exercise, as the vast majority of people shopping for $225.00 headphones will probably pick up Airpods, or *maybe*a 6xx. Compared to those options, it really is a no brainer. The 6xx is a veiled muddy mess on cheap amplification, and the Airpods lack musical capability in general. For the treble sensitive, the 225x can be a bit forward, and the 6xx might be a better match there. If you are using budget amplification, the Grado is superior to the 6xx in every other way. There are also myriad Grado mods floating around. This particular model would benefit from pads, and a detachable cord mod immediately.

All in all, a worthy successor in the Prestige line, and likely to keep the third generation of the Grado family busy for a while. (fix the #$@&%*! cable.)

Associated equipment and sample of music used:

Chord Mojo / Poly; Schiit Hel2; Bottlehead Crack; Pi2Aes; Qobux, Roon, Airplay, and Bluetooth.

Ben Howard: I Forget Where we Were
Johann Johansson: Flight from the City
The Joy Formidable: Tendons
Billy Eilish: Bad Girl
Caro Emerald: Back it Up
Joe Henderson: Lush Life
Mingus Big Band: Gun Slinging Birds
World Saxophone Quartet: Holy Man
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du soldat
Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 12
Associated equipment and sample of music used:

Chord Mojo / Poly; Schiit Hel2; Bottlehead Crack; Pi2Aes; Qobux, Roon, Airplay, and Bluetooth.
Wow, Great write up mfadio! I thoroughly enjoyed the read. You have higher end equipment to play them on then I. I bet Grado headphones really sing in your systems. Thank you for the great review.
Also, THANK YOU TODD for the loaner headphones! You are a wonderful person and I had a total blast.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi Todd,

thank you for letting me be part of the Grado SR225x loaner program. I had a lot of fun listening to these and comparing them to my existing grados/alessandros.

grados.jpg

source: tidal hi-fi
soundcard: TASCAM UH-7000

With each iteration (letter change at the end of the model number) grado headphones introduce some improvements/changes. Before the X series, I believe that the only changes were to the size of the cup and the sound has been becoming progresively less shrill with a slight increase in bass. With the X series, grado has introduced quite a few changes compared to those done in the past. Below is a list of them compared to the previous iteration.

headband
---------
The new headband is slightly narrower (2-3mm) than the previous iteration, however it is padded now. The padding feels soft and comfortable, especially compared to the previous non-padded version. I am hoping that the padding is durable as it does feel a bit delicate. One of the things that I really like with the SR225 series is that they are lighter compared to the metal cup models which reduces headband pressure on top of my head. I have the alessandro MS2 (SR325's twin) and the headband on these does start causing some discomfort after some time, while it takes much longer with the SR225 series. Even though the headband is padded now I can feel the headband causing slight pressure after a longer listening session although not as much as the non-padded version.

cable
------
The cable is still the same 8 core cable, and appears to be the same thickness however it now has a nylon wrap. There is still a standard rubber cable under the nylon wrap since I have seen some users remove the nylon wrap and just leave the underlying cable exposed. I believe that this inner cable is overall thinner than the previous iteration since the nylon wrap gives it the extra layer to bring it up to the same thickness as the previous iteration cable. The cable feels less flexible, and the new texture does cause some physical noise in the headphones when the cable is rubbed against a hard surface (or against the cable itself!). Perhaps a softer material could have been used as a wrap. Overall the new cable does feel much more durable than the previous one. Some might find the sturdiness of the cable a bit hard to manage.

cable.JPG

earpads
-------
the new flat earpads feel a bit warmer than the previous L-cush as there is a bigger area that is touching the ear. Due to their shape they do bring the ear closer to the driver and appear to bring the sound closer. This also makes them sound a bit louder than the previous iteration headphones.

IMG_7199.jpg

The overall sound signature of the new SR225x is similar to the SR225e however there is a definite presence of extra mid-bass in the SR225x. There is also the proximity effect that the new earpads create which adds to the presence of bass and slightly decreased spatial image. I am guessing that some may perceive the added bass to make the headphones sound "warmer". This new sound may be considered more modern by some.

The SR225x makes the SR225e sound thin in comparison on some tracks when going back and forth, and I feel that this is mostly due to the extra mid-bass that is introduced in the x series. The mid/vocal range frequencies tend to stand out better in a mix with the SR225e which gives distorted guitars that nice crunchy teeth grinding sound compared to the more rounded sound of the SR225X. While listening to Amy Winehouse vocals, they seemed to take more of a back seat with the SR225X.
Just for fun I played a dance track (loud luxury - body) to see how they would handle it, and it definitely made my body move more than the tame SR225e. So I guess the SR225X could be classified as more fun than the slightly more analytical SR225e (which provides a much better separation of instruments).

For me personally I would probably remain with my SR225e (likely because I'm used to them already), however the decision which headphone to choose really depends on the person and type of music being listened to.

thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back