New Grado owner :SR125i & new to the site questions/concerns
Jan 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mountainview

New Head-Fier
I was gifted a new pair of SR125i's for Christmas and I have some questions now that it is has been a couple weeks.

First off, I wanted to read all about them, but I tried to stay away from any reviews sites and the such, so I might get an opinion on my own.  I did though go to Grado's website.

So far I really like them, my first real pair of headphones.  (I also have had the Klipsch S4i for almost a year now, and I really like them).

I can hear a LOT more detail in the mids and the highs, the bass is there but its not booming. 

I have all of my CD's ripped in ALAC, and the other comes mainly from purchased AAC audio from iTunes.

This site was recommended to me, and I have spend the last couple hours searching around for info, and it seems that they are liked, but almost everyone seems to "need" to mod them in some shape of another. 

I've been using them for maybe 25-30 hours so far, and my concerns, are similar, as reflected, in many posts.  I'm military, and don't really have the time to mod, and I worry that maybe I should exchange them for something else.

my concerns: they do not make me feel like I am in the middle of the sound, like the music is being projected to me, around me.  Whereas, the music coming from the middle of my head like the in-ear's do.  Would this be solved by closed ear? 

Also, its a bit lacking in bass.  Now, I don't like bass heavy anything, and I don't usually turn on the EQ settings on my iPhone3G, Palm Pre, iPod touch 4th gen.  My receiver doesn't have a jack output, so I cannot test it there.  My computer has a CMI8768 pci soundcard that has line noise ( constand background hiss) that is bad, so that is no help either.

Any helpful hints?  I'd like in this case, to have a no fuss setup with great sound.

I listen to mainly female vocal artists, electronic, pop, Police, some classical (Tchaikovsky), and no metal.

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 21
To get more sound seperation, the simplest solution is to throw on a pair of bowl pads (amazon: $25 shipped), they seem too hold the drivers a little farther away from your ears, allowing for more seperation between L&R sounds but also helping the central sounds to converge in the center of your head a little better. However, Grado's will never be soundstage monsters, I did find this helped though.

As far as bass, the mods to help that are free. Using either a hair dryer or the water method shown in Bilavideo's SR60-Mod thread, open up the back of the cups, I prefer the hair dryer & spoon method, where you lay a spoon handle flat in the recessed part of the cup side and pull it towards you, from narrow end to wide end of the handle, so as to slowly push the back of the cup off. Then, using a ballpoint pen, carefully poke out ~4 of the holes in the felt which backs the driver basket. This allows more air to flow to the driver, allowing for more bass response. Reassemble and try them out, if you want more bass, vent another hole or two, continue until you find your optimal ammount of bass.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 21
What Maverick said.

The mods are easy, quick, and they work. You can do it in 30 minutes or less. I also found that removing the button helps with separation as well. Gives a slight more spacious feel to the music. But again, like already stated, Grados are known (and loved) for their in your face presentation. They are intimate sounding headphones. Instead of being out in the crowd, you are on stage with the band. That's great for blues, jazz, acoustic music. There isn't much more you can do to improve that and the improvements while noticeable, are not huge. I went from 770 Pro 80's which had a really good sound stage to the Grados. At first I felt a little cramped...but soon I found the sacrifice in sound stage was very much worth the fantastic Grado sound. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 21
In addition to purchasing the bowl pads as Maverick mentioned above I'd suggest modding the pads themselves by wrapping the outside in electrical tape - search for grado tape mod.  It's super easy and quick and it'll add a considerable amount of bass.  The best part is that if you're unhappy with the increase in bass you can just pull the tape off. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 21
you really dont "need" to mod them but modding just helps you customize the sound to your liking. i too just got a pair of 125is and at first had complaints much like you (i came from listening mostly on sennhiesers)   and it took a bit of burn in and some getting used to. but i have to say that i really love these things now.  ive yet to do any mods but am planning on venting the drivers, and damping the magnet. and hopefully ill love them even more.  welcome to head-fi :D

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 21
I recently bought used SR60's and really did not need to mod them. The only reason I did was because a friend who has had some 125's sitting around offered up to me so I have a fall back position.
You can get more bass in15 minutes with a hairdryer and a ballpoint pen (poke 4 holes per thread on mods). Its easy, I'm a 52 year old disabled guy and I easily tweaked these but again...Did NOT have to....plus yours are fresh and breaking in...

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 21
IMO bowl pads are horrendously uncomfortable and trading "no soundstage" for "tiny soundstage" is not worth it for the money or the sore ears. The only way to get any soundstage on Grados is with distancers and bowl pads - other than that - get another set of headphones that will deliver it.

One thing I would recommend doing is quarter modding the comfie pads that come with it to reduce the muffling effect of the foam, but if you want more bass too would recommend getting some Flats fro TTVJ. Quite expensive and less comfortable than comfies (but more than bowls!) but is the best way to get more bass into Grados without tampering with them.

If tampering does not bother you (by tampering I mean physically opening the phone and making irreversible changes) then there is a method of getting a lot more bass into Grados - by venting the driver. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 21
It is reversible. Maybe not back to stock form, but back to stock sound. Same with removing the button. It can easily be replaced. I highly recommend popping it off...I was really surprised how much difference just doing that made to my Grados.

Quote:
If tampering does not bother you (by tampering I mean physically opening the phone and making irreversible changes) then there is a method of getting a lot more bass into Grados - by venting the driver. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 21
Really just taking off the button/label thingy...????
I'm another Ed by the way.....LOL

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 21
Arm and Hammer,
How do you return the Grados back to stock sound after opening the vent holes? Nothing I've ever tried to cover the holes again got close to stock.

Eclein,
Edward's my middle name rather than first name in real life, but my online name. :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 21
Two Eds are better than one!!!!!

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 21
honestly, removing the button was the hardest mod, because the plastic sccreen on mine started melting before the glue holding the button on did. I don't find the bowls to be uncomfortable, but I've been told I'm weird before.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 21
I tried peeling the buttons off, peeled the whole grill off...OOPS!!! but they sound better...more open!!!  LOL...
gs1000.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 21
No loss. the mesh that they make those letter trays and stuff out of makes beautiful Grado mesh, its darn near perfect. The downside is one of those letter trays costs about $10, and the mesh is best cut with a dremel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back