New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Mar 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #31 of 677
Anyone know if the headphone outputs will accept 1/4" unbalanced or is it strictly 1/4" TRS connectors?

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #32 of 677
The headphone outputs are 1/4" TRS.  It is unbalanced but you wouldn't want to plug in an 1/4" TS plug or you would short the right output to ground.  Can I ask why you would want this?
Michael

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #33 of 677
I asked because one never knows with you pro audio folks :). I have a 1/4" TS plug on my Fostex TH-600 and the cables are hardwired. I would hate to get one all set up and ready to go only to find out I then need TRS connections.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #34 of 677
  We did get a chance to listen to the m920 and first impressions are very good. Used a DAC (but not in DAC only mode via the jumpers on the board)  it seems a step up from the m903 in terms of overall resolution and has a lot of presence. Build quality is impeccable and the new aluminum top plate looks fantastic in a very modern sort of way. The unit is currently in the process of being reviewed for @www.audio360.org and I will post the review as soon as its complete.

I wanted to follow up on this and mention that the review sample we had was sent back to have the minimum phase filter feature enabled as well.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #35 of 677
looking forward reading in-deph review about this new DAC/AMp, and how it pair (synergy) with some TOL headphone (TH900, SigPRO, AlphaDOG, ...)

What I don't understand:  I see BALANCED-IN in the back, but only SE Headphone-Out ! ??  

--> is it possible, like Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC to combine the 2 1/4 Jacks to make a BALANCED -Headphone out ? 

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #37 of 677
Balanced outputs are 1/4" TRS connectors. The 2 holes on the back take the TRS plugs.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #38 of 677
Balanced outputs are 1/4" TRS connectors. The 2 holes on the back take the TRS plugs.

OK, but I guess it is NOT headphone-out.   Just Balanced Line-out ? 

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #39 of 677
Sorry, misread your question:p The headphone outputs are TRS connectors. I thought they looked like single ended headphone plugs too.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #41 of 677
It's hard to design a product to satisfy both the pro and consumer audio world.   
The TRS rear outputs seem out of place in a consumer audio product.
Personally I would prefer a Type B USB digital input,  XLR and SE analog outputs with just SE analog input(s). 
Interestingly the m920's chief competitor in these parts, the Benchmark DAC2, chose to go that direction.
The Lavry DA11 only has digital inputs with XLR analog outputs.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #42 of 677
  It's hard to design a product to satisfy both the pro and consumer audio world.   
The TRS rear outputs seem out of place in a consumer audio product.
Personally I would prefer a Type B USB digital input,  XLR and SE analog outputs with just SE analog input(s). 
Interestingly the m920's chief competitor in these parts, the Benchmark DAC2, chose to go that direction.
The Lavry DA11 only has digital inputs with XLR analog outputs.

Yeah, I'd prefer all balanced xlr, and drop the single ended inputs / outputs.  Even making the unit bigger, would be better than those crummy TRS connections. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #45 of 677
It is dual voltage in that you can select 115v/220v on the back. It also has good old fashioned 1/4" phone plugs for the headphones. Why have I never heard tip, ring, sleeve referred to as TRS before?
     Moving the jumpers to fixed dac output is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately I had a pair of electronic needle nose pliers with very fine jaws handy. I would not attempt it without them. The 3rd row of of tiny pins could easily get bent/mashed and there is no room between each jumper to grab them. 
   Windows did install it plugnplay as usb1 kernel streaming device. The only problem I ran into was downloading the hi rez drivers. The url in the manual gracedesign.com/support/support/htm. didn't work and I couldn't find any options for the drivers under the support tab. No DSD for me tonight.
     I'm listening to it through the Fostex TH-600 which is a little rose colored and rounds off transients compared to the "dreaded" PS1000. I would hate to say much about the sound this early, but it is very dynamic and the bass is very linear and deep which gives it a nice rhythmic drive. It does boogey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back