New Gear For Sale/Trade and User Feedback Systems
Nov 19, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #92 of 109
Quote:
Otherwise I'll also start re-posting my ad

You fool don't make things worse than they already are. Just learn to use the new system, rather than fight it. Sure there can be improvements, and they are being worked on. Until then don't make what's bad enough as it is, worse.

Here's a quote from a conversation I had with Jude no less than 2 days ago. 
Quote:
Hero Kid, it is definitely appreciated that you care, and your suggestions aren't going ignored.  But there are, at any given time, a lot of bug reports, suggestions, etc.--a lot.

And please remember that the new Gear FS/T system is still pretty new to us.  And we know there are a lot of optimizations still to be made there, among other places.

Best Regards,
Jude

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #93 of 109
> Sure there can be improvements, and they are being worked on. Until then don't make what's bad enough as it is, worse.
>Just learn to use the new system,

I don't view changing the default arrange by as a monumental task to accomplish. Or adding a bump button that's active every 2 days and changes a shadow creation date that's used in default arrange by.
I don't even view this as an optimization, I view it as a major bug. ...Granted, I don't know what the process for making changes to the forum engine is/what sort of resources head-fi has for doing it (hell, maybe it's one volunteer web-dev guy who wrote it all at night after work), and maybe I'm being an a-hole here.

Still, my personal view is - don't fix it if it's not too broken (i.e. the system should've been tested before the switch). Switching first and then saying 'oh but we will make it better' is not a good thing to do to your users.

>You fool don't make things worse than they already are

a) grow up/no calling people names
b) I kinda need money for food because I spent too much money on audio gear... so not being able to sell my gear quickly as it used to be the case is inconvenient. (I also need to grow up :D ). I'm being quite considerate posting here before actually reposting anything for the first time.
c) I didn't know things were bad, how so. I'm merely bringing attention back to the issue that matters to me.
d) Didn't someone say reposting ads every 7 days was ok?

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #94 of 109
The default sort order isn't going to be changed.  What we are working on is a bump button--of course, there will be limits to its use.

As for re-posting ads:  Please do not.

I know the Gear For Sale/Trade area can be rather busy, and we're working on achieving a balance between what's best for the buyers (including not having to see the same ads all the time), and the sellers (who don't want their ads pushed into obscurity so quickly).

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #95 of 109
Thank you for the response, Jude.

>we're working on achieving a balance between what's best for the buyers and the sellers

Jude, no offense, but any chance of some public consultation ("dear members, we're going to do xyz, what do you think?") on the issue/being able to provide suggestions before you implement anything (potentially not improving the user experience/confusing or driving people away)?
More chance less people will be displeased, maybe.

>there will be limits to its use.

Sure. m, well at least mods won't have to enforce it manually.
Please be sure to consider the rates the ads are posted at (and that those may vary in the future) in different fs forums (the sources fs seem to be much less used)

User consultation or at least informing users would also leave less people pissed off.

E.g. including a link to a thread that identifies the current bugs/priorities/improvements on notice and planned release fix dates...

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #97 of 109
A bump button sounds great, hopefully it will have a time limit to prevent abuse.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #98 of 109
A bump button sounds great as long as it isn't abused. Something such as only being able to use that bump feature every 48 or 72 hours could work.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #100 of 109
YOU CAN BUMP. For gods sake, how many times does it have to be said? Just sort by "Update Date" and you will see all the bumps.
People have no excuse for creating multiple topics for the same item, if you find one just report it and let the Mods deal with it.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #101 of 109
Quote:
YOU CAN BUMP. For gods sake, how many times does it have to be said? Just sort by "Update Date" and you will see all the bumps.
People have no excuse for creating multiple topics for the same item, if you find one just report it and let the Mods deal with it.

I suppose people just quickly skim the pages!

I like sort buy created date as I'm here nearly every day :wink:  Regarding your last suggestion has anyone actually reported a thread because it was a duplicate thread? I also see plenty.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #102 of 109

Quote:

Sorting your view and bumping your thread are two totally different things. Obviously sellers want bumps to affect the buyer's default view.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #103 of 109
Quote:
grokit said:
Obviously sellers want bumps to affect the buyer's default view.

But buyers don't (I personally don't). Hence why Jude is working towards a system with compromises for both parties.
I much prefer having the option to sort either way, rather than none at all like the old system.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #104 of 109
I also don't want it as people just bump daily... sometimes multiple times a day. It makes me sad.

I'm ok with a button as it's easy to make it check the last bump. That way I won't see the same thing in the top 5 every time I go to look.

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #105 of 109
I was about to ask why I see the same ads on multiple pages.  I thought there was some error with the placement, and it was showing them on multiple pages.  It's really annoying, you look through all the ads on page one, and go to page 2 and A LOT of them are there as well. 

Is this because people are just reposting the same ad?  It makes the F/S forums really unusable IMO.  I honestly don't even look there anymore because it hurts my eyes. 

Not that I don't appreciate all the work being done on the forums, I understand it's a work in progress.  There are a lot of things that are much better about the new forums. Most of the changes have been very nice.  The subcription page for example...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back