New Gaming Headset
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iPiggi

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm looking for a new gaming headset for playing various games on my PC. I want it to be 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound and cost between £40 and £60, no more. What is the best option? So far I've found the Genius Cavmanus (£50) and the Roccat Kave (£60), but it looks like I won't be able to use the Roccat because I only have one headset port not 3...
Anyway are these good options and what would you recommend? 
Thanks,
Adam.
EDIT: I've been recommended an Asus Xonar DG with a Sennheiser HD 201 or Samson SR850 and a cheap mic. Good idea?

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Hey,
I'm looking for a new gaming headset for playing various games on my PC. I want it to be 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound and cost between £40 and £60, no more. What is the best option? So far I've found the Genius Cavmanus (£50) and the Roccat Kave (£60), but it looks like I won't be able to use the Roccat because I only have one headset port not 3...
Anyway are these good options and what would you recommend? 
Thanks,
Adam.
EDIT: I've been recommended an Asus Xonar DG with a Sennheiser HD 201 or Samson SR850 and a cheap mic. Good idea?

Yes for the SR850.
I own them (Look at my sig for all headphones I own) and I think for gaming (And music in general) at that pricepoint you wont find any better.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 18
Ah. Problem. I am planning on upgrading to xfire graphics cards and I'm not sure if a sound card would fit with a second GPU. The cooler on my current card is pretty big. What are the other options?

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

YES.

Quite honestly, I look at gaming headsets the same way I look at Beats and Bose. They're just overrated and they usually don't have that great of sound quality. There are mods where you can install a mic onto your headphones. If you are looking to heed to good advice, don't buy a gaming headset. Get the Xonar DG with some audiophile grade headphones and use a mic with it. And also, surround sound on headphones is a joke. It's really not that great. If you get the Sennheiser HD598, it's so good at spacing that you can already tell what's in front and behind you.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Ah. Problem. I am planning on upgrading to xfire graphics cards and I'm not sure if a sound card would fit with a second GPU. The cooler on my current card is pretty big. What are the other options?

Other options would be a USB sound card/Dac+Amp combo

As far as which one is better (661 vs SR850):

SR850 and HD668B better for vocal and neutral listening without any fatigue. 
The HD681 is more fun, lively-er, more dynamic.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
What sound card would I be looking at? Are they really a good option compared to a gaming headset at this price?

From my experience, they are always a better option then most headsets :) I have used a lot of different ones (Expensive to cheap) and a good pair of solo headphones seemed to beat out most if not all headsets in terms of audio quality.

As far as the portable sound cards for the same price as the Xonar DG (or close to it) you can get the Xonar U3. It will do the job until you can upgrade to something more expensive and it will be better then 99% of onboards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back