New full-sized headphone to get the best out of my Fiio X1 ( and Fiio E12 )
Jan 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DonRoger

New Head-Fier
Hi, I currently using a SHR840 right now. I like the cans a lot, but I want to spend more for another headphone. My max budget is like 500 to 650 dollar. As the title said; I like to get the best out of my Fiio x1 player, and E12 amp. 

I hope you can really help me out with this.

(it's a lot of money for me, so I really want the best headphones available for this price. But I guess you already know that 
wink.gif
wink.gif
 )

I hope to hear from you guys soon! 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 31
Hmm, I think I only want an overall improvement. I really like the clear, detailed sounds from the Shures. I listen to almost every genre, from classic to pop. From Two Steps From Hell to Pachelbel. I love to hear every detail from the instruments in a song, so in that view you can say I care more about instruments than vocals.

Again, I hope you can help me out with this! 

Btw; sorry for my bad English 
redface.gif

o2smile.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 31
I'm now looking at the Sennheiser HD650, is it worth the price? Does it sounds good with the x1 and E12?

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 31
I used to own the 840's and the 650 is in a whole different league. If you're using the X1 does that mean you're looking for something that could be used as a portable? If so I couldn't really recommend the 650. Open-air headphones are less than ideal in such a scenario. Otherwise, the E12 will drive the 650 no problem. It won't get the very best out of them but it'll still be pretty good.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 31
I used to own the 840's and the 650 is in a whole different league. If you're using the X1 does that mean you're looking for something that could be used as a portable? If so I couldn't really recommend the 650. Open-air headphones are less than ideal in such a scenario. Otherwise, the E12 will drive the 650 no problem. It won't get the very best out of them but it'll still be pretty good.

I will use the 650 only for at home, so I won't go outside with them. Do you think the 650s are a step forward from the shr840?

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 31
I will use the 650 only for at home, so I won't go outside with them. Do you think the 650s are a step forward from the shr840?

When properly amped and fed with a good source? Absolutely. Your E12 has enough power to drive them adequately but the HD 650 is good enough to grow if you want to improve your amplification in future.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 31
When properly amped and fed with a good source? Absolutely. Your E12 has enough power to drive them adequately but the HD 650 is good enough to grow if you want to improve your amplification in future.

Thank you a lot! I hope this will be my right choice.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 31
A word of caution.

The Sennheiser HD 650 sounds unlike it's price bracket competitors. It won't immediately grab you with mind-blowing treble detail for instance. The detail is most definitely there but the Senn's don't emphasize it in the way most (it seems to me) headphones today do. It's a more subtle sound. There's a bit more bass than you might expect too. Not bass-head levels, but possibly more than most of it's direct competitors. The mid-range is warm & lush and again, in this day of V-shaped sound signatures that's unusual.

I'm not trying to put you off but forewarned is forearmed, as they say. I love them. I've never heard anything that comes even close to what they can do for my head. However, one man's cake is another man's poison. If possible try to buy from a company with a good returns policy. There's simply no substitute for trying them yourself with your preferred music. Caveat emptor. Good luck.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 31
  A word of caution.

The Sennheiser HD 650 sounds unlike it's price bracket competitors. It won't immediately grab you with mind-blowing treble detail for instance. The detail is most definitely there but the Senn's don't emphasize it in the way most (it seems to me) headphones today do. It's a more subtle sound. There's a bit more bass than you might expect too. Not bass-head levels, but possibly more than most of it's direct competitors. The mid-range is warm & lush and again, in this day of V-shaped sound signatures that's unusual.

I'm not trying to put you off but forewarned is forearmed, as they say. I love them. I've never heard anything that comes even close to what they can do for my head. However, one man's cake is another man's poison. If possible try to buy from a company with a good returns policy. There's simply no substitute for trying them yourself with your preferred music. Caveat emptor. Good luck.

Again, thank you for the warning. Its true, a product can not be perfect. 

Pardon, I still have a question for you: How does Canon in D from Pachelbel and Four Seasons from Vivaldi ( or another piece of classic ) sounds with the 650s?

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 31

Pardon, I still have a question for you: How does Canon in D from Pachelbel and Four Seasons from Vivaldi ( or another piece of classic ) sounds with the 650s?

Hmm, classical music isn't my forte I'm afraid. If I'm honest, and going from what others have said I would have to say that this is probably the one weakness of the HD 650. I think the tonality is excellent for classical music but the Senn's do have a somewhat narrower soundstage than, say, the AKG Q701. I have the Q's as well and soundstage- wise they are really very good. For me personally it's not good enough to outweigh all it's other defects. That's my personal opinion though and YMMV.

Now, having said all that... I was previously amping with an O2 which is a very competent, accurate amplifier. It allowed me to hear the source and the headphones without adding anything of it's own. An admirable quality. I've recently been trialling a Project Ember hybrid valve amp and my mind is blown! I'm now listening to music as opposed to previously listening to sound. You'd think they're the same thing but they're not at all. My bass goes lower, treble goes higher, mids are even lusher & the soundstage is truly wonderful.

All of that is subjective. If you can possibly do it have a listen to them first.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 31

Hmm, classical music isn't my forte I'm afraid. If I'm honest, and going from what others have said I would have to say that this is probably the one weakness of the HD 650. I think the tonality is excellent for classical music but the Senn's do have a somewhat narrower soundstage than, say, the AKG Q701. I have the Q's as well and soundstage- wise they are really very good. For me personally it's not good enough to outweigh all it's other defects. That's my personal opinion though and YMMV.

Now, having said all that... I was previously amping with an O2 which is a very competent, accurate amplifier. It allowed me to hear the source and the headphones without adding anything of it's own. An admirable quality. I've recently been trialling a Project Ember hybrid valve amp and my mind is blown! I'm now listening to music as opposed to previously listening to sound. You'd think they're the same thing but they're not at all. My bass goes lower, treble goes higher, mids are even lusher & the soundstage is truly wonderful.

All of that is subjective. If you can possibly do it have a listen to them first.

Cool! What genre do you listen the most, with your 650s if I may ask ? 

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 31
Almost everything else to be honest.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 31

I'm listening to Canon in D right now using my HD 650s and the sound is heavenly. Excellent bass, great sound stage a complete package overall. I'm driving the 650s with a Schiit Valhalla 2.
As mentioned above, you may need to upgrade your amp to get the most from your 650s.

BTW: Ciacona in D Minor will blow your socks off.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back