New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
May 1, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,801 of 1,838
So guys I need some suggestion, I have this weird dilemma.

As I mentioned in my earlier review: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...project-polaris.725896/page-120#post-16232458

I started from Dragonfly Red and is looking for the desktop equivalent that's the same sound signature but higher resolution / depth..... etc. For those who don't know, Dragonfly Red has boosted treble which emphasize female vocal, guitar, piano, and boosted mid bass and sub bass. My current headphone is D2000 (bassy) and Modi Multibit.

Polaris definitely has higher resolution but the bass hits hard more in the mid bass the sub bass rumble is just not there (i.e. watching movie with explosion). I've since got Vali 2+ just to try tubes for fun and surprisingly Vali 2+ actually hits lower than Polaris with the stock tube.

So here we have Polaris that hit hard but doesn't hit low. Vali 2+ has amazing separation (because tube) and hits decently low but doesn't hit hard. Dragonfly Red that hits low and decently hard but just less resolution.

Now I'm debating I could either:

1) Get an hardware EQ like Schiit Loki or something. Lol yes I know I can also do software EQ but I kind of want to try hardware EQ.

2) Get Liquid Spark, I tried it briefly before buying Polaris. At the time I thought it sounded good and bass hits low and hard but overall sound a bit dry. I wonder if I should give it a second chance.

I read an Amazon review that this guy already owned the Polaris yet he still bought 2 more Liquid Spark because he like it so much.

"I have a few headphone amps, including the teac HA-501 and project polaris. This Monolith Liquid Spark is clean, quiet, and powerful. I like it so much that I just bought a second one so that I can compare different headphones using the same amp. I think of getting their other Cavalli amp ($700) but I am not really into tubes, and this one works SO good.
PS: Way better than the Schiit Magni 3 that I just sold."

Anyone have any experience regarding Project Polaris vs Liquid Spark? Or am I safer to just get a Loki and be done? What do you guys think? Also I hope it's not an issue with the dac, anyone with Modi Multibit can comment on if it's suppose to reach low?

Thanks!
Hey mate. I don't have experience with some of there amps you've used but I do think that Lyr 2 used would cover all bases. You have LISST tubes as an option. Lyr 2 hits very hard and low and is good for most types of headphones.

May 1, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,802 of 1,838
Hey mate. I don't have experience with some of there amps you've used but I do think that Lyr 2 used would cover all bases. You have LISST tubes as an option. Lyr 2 hits very hard and low and is good for most types of headphones.
Lol damn it I was hoping to go for smaller form factor since I don't want to clutter my desk. I guess it's hard to cover all grounds eh? Hmmmm I guess it's something to think about lol.

Jul 24, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,803 of 1,838
On another note, anyone tried their "-20 db plug and play attenuator cable"?

http://garage1217.com/new_website_011.htm (first item)

I find even at lowest setting it's still a bit too powerful and not enough usable volume range. My previous headphone was D2000 and current headphone is D5200, both are too loud with this amp. To my understanding is if you lower volume from software level it reduce dynamic range?

Also I think gain multiplier on this amp is 4.5x / 7.5x / 12.5x, I wonder why it's so high even in lowest setting. You'd expect on other amps lowest setting is like 2.2x or something lol.

In any case would this be a better solution? Though I wonder why it's so expensive..........

I feel like if it's half price I would've bought it without a heartbeat. At current price I need to think about it a bit.......

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,804 of 1,838
On another note, anyone tried their "-20 db plug and play attenuator cable"?

http://garage1217.com/new_website_011.htm (first item)

I find even at lowest setting it's still a bit too powerful and not enough usable volume range. My previous headphone was D2000 and current headphone is D5200, both are too loud with this amp. To my understanding is if you lower volume from software level it reduce dynamic range?

Also I think gain multiplier on this amp is 4.5x / 7.5x / 12.5x, I wonder why it's so high even in lowest setting. You'd expect on other amps lowest setting is like 2.2x or something lol.

In any case would this be a better solution? Though I wonder why it's so expensive..........

I feel like if it's half price I would've bought it without a heartbeat. At current price I need to think about it a bit.......

Yes, I have it and it works. It's just an adapter with some resistors soldered inside. The price is realistic based on a USA person soldering using quality parts, but yes - it's expensive. This would be for output attenuation especially for hot-swapping headphones.

However there is a non-hidden but unobvious unique feature in most Garage 1217 amps - swappable input attenuation modules:
1627319243666.png

I have bought some from Jeremy (for less than 1$ per module as far as I remember) and also have made some myself (again it's simply a bunch of quality resistors):
1627319689613.png

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,805 of 1,838
Yes, I have it and it works. It's just an adapter with some resistors soldered inside. The price is realistic based on a USA person soldering using quality parts, but yes - it's expensive. This would be for output attenuation especially for hot-swapping headphones.

However there is a non-hidden but unobvious unique feature in most Garage 1217 amps - swappable input attenuation modules:

I have bought some from Jeremy (for less than 1$ per module as far as I remember) and also have made some myself (again it's simply a bunch of quality resistors):
Wow thank you for a thorough and in-depth answer!!!

So I've tried playing around with the attenuation module (default one).

Attenuation On: With it on obviously is quieter and the vocal is a bit more forward so I kind of like it but everything else sounds a bit "off" that I can't explain.
Attenuation Off: With it off I think everything sounds more natural and "correct" in tone / timber but now it's too loud.

Now I'm wondering if the adaptor will have less effect on sound change.

I've tried e-mailing Jeremy again I think regarding purchasing different module but I haven't heard back. The -20db adaptor however is like $45 USD + $15 Shipping then convert to CAD for me it just seems too much for something that just help making things a bit quieter.

Also I'm using D5200 and I find with M9XX things sounds more natural but its amp section is weaker so I get weaker bass. But with Project Polaris while amp is super powerful so I get nice punchy bass but high/mids feel like it's a bit "forced" for lack of better word. I wonder if the amp is too powerful for the headphone so tone / timber doesn't sound natural to me.

I don't know if anyone experienced this before?

At this point I'm a bit lost it's like do I spend more money to fix it? Or do I just cut the loss and try a different amp altogether? I'd imagine Project Polaris would be super good on 300 Ohm headphones though D5200 is around 25 Ohm.

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,806 of 1,838
So I recently bought a Dragonfly Cobalt with the intention to run it straight, but had unsatisfying results so out of the whim I decided to hook it up to Project Polaris and see what happens.

MAN huge difference. So much better through Project Polaris.

But now I have this issue where sound cuts off for 3-5 seconds randomly. So I'm trying to isolate the issues, is it Dragonfly Cobalt or is it Project Polaris.

Does Polaris have any form of circuit protection that cuts off the sound when input source is too high/strong......etc? Or there's no such thing then it's most likely the Dragonfly Cobalt?

Anyone know?

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,811 of 1,838
@Hyde00 I wonder if it's an audio driver issue and/or a Windows OS update that's not working well.

You can go into device manager and reinstall drivers.

Is there a dedicated driver that you can grab off the dragonfly website?
Oh I did some test turns out it is the Cobalt, Red was perfectly fine.

Also Cobalt crap out at any volume level. I guess time to send it back haha.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,813 of 1,838
Question for my fellow Project Polaris lovers. If you ended up upgrading, which amp was it that made you leave behind the Project Polaris? Or have you auditioned an amp that you made you consider swapping out your Polaris?

Recently upgraded to the 2021 LCD-X, and it honestly doesn't leave me wanting for anything else, but I can't help but wonder if I can get more out of them with a "better" amp. :beyersmile:

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #1,814 of 1,838
Question for my fellow Project Polaris lovers. If you ended up upgrading, which amp was it that made you leave behind the Project Polaris? Or have you auditioned an amp that you made you consider swapping out your Polaris?

Recently upgraded to the 2021 LCD-X, and it honestly doesn't leave me wanting for anything else, but I can't help but wonder if I can get more out of them with a "better" amp. :beyersmile:
Project Ember II with a decent dac

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,815 of 1,838
Project Ember II with a decent dac
lol can second this, personally I tried to stay with solid state due to convenience (don't need to worry about tubes and no warm up time).

BUT I've talked to another person who also owns both Polaris and Ember, he says Ember is the more capable and more holographic one. So if you're ok with tube then Ember is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back