New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jun 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,441 of 1,838
  Still, as a very non-diy-breaks-everything-I-touch guy. Should I be discouraged from buying the project Polaris in fear of damaging them while adjusting the settings?

Get a set of these to move the jumpers with if you're worried about being clumsy.
it can be a little difficult to find the right pins when your fingers are covering it.
you won't even lose one jumper, i promise!

beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,442 of 1,838
I literally have that same setup! You didn't say but i have acrylic panel. i posted some pics in this thread of the unboxing if you want to get an idea of the scale. I was actually surprised how compact and cute the Modi2U is haha

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,444 of 1,838

Get a set of these to move the jumpers with if you're worried about being clumsy.
it can be a little difficult to find the right pins when your fingers are covering it.
you won't even lose one jumper, i promise!

beerchug.gif

Fingers do me for Polaris but for my LD2/2 I use the wife's tweezers when she's not looking.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #1,446 of 1,838
  Would sennheiser HD 800 pair well with project Polaris? I mean with the bandwidth setting on high, the HD 800 should sound quite warm right? 

Only going by what I've read but I thought the HD800 was quite strong in the treble area and the HD800S less so but still not exactly warm sounding -but that's only my impression-others will doubtless know more.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,447 of 1,838
  Only going by what I've read but I thought the HD800 was quite strong in the treble area and the HD800S less so but still not exactly warm sounding -but that's only my impression-others will doubtless know more.

That's why. Since the sennheiser HD 800 is known for it's notorious treble, the project Polaris with it's special high frequency roll off features might provide a good solution for the HD 800. And it also has the option to change output impedance. What do you think? 

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,448 of 1,838
  That's why. Since the sennheiser HD 800 is known for it's notorious treble, the project Polaris with it's special high frequency roll off features might provide a good solution for the HD 800. And it also has the option to change output impedance. What do you think? 

Absolutely correct thinking and I believe you have ordered the 'aggressive' version which is appropriate, I would think.

However, you would not use the High bandwidth setting if you wanted to attenuate the treble as the high setting has no affect on the bandwidth. It's the 'native', sound, with no change to the bandwidth.
You would use either the mid or low settings to reduce over bright treble. 
Theoretically the Polaris should be ideal for the HD800/.800S because of its ability to fine tune the treble according to your preferences.

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #1,449 of 1,838
  Absolutely correct thinking and I believe you have ordered the 'aggressive' version which is appropriate, I would think.

However, you would not use the High bandwidth setting if you wanted to attenuate the treble as the high setting has no affect on the bandwidth. It's the 'native', sound, with no change to the bandwidth.
You would use either the mid or low settings to reduce over bright treble. 
Theoretically the Polaris should be ideal for the HD800/.800S because of its ability to fine tune the treble according to your preferences.

I haven't ordered anything yet lol. I've posted a WTB add on the amplification for sale forum. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,452 of 1,838

That's interesting. Why would you roll off the treble of individual channels?

Good question.

I mostly listen to Classical and enjoy string quartets, where the convention is for the violins to sit on the left, as you face the stage, and the lower registered viola and cello on the right.

Unfortunately, it's in the nature of many sound engineers to highlight the violin on the far left, the First Violin, as he has most of the melody and displays of bravura. This can result in an over-bright, sometimes very edgy, fatiguing sound- but only from the left channel. I would say this happens with about half of my string quartet recordings. 

So it's great to be able to reduce the treble a bit, just in the left channel, whilst keeping the full frequency range for the deeper toned instruments on the right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back