New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jun 21, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,426 of 1,838
I went with the mellow as the aggressive is more suited to tame headphones with very bright treble characteristics as discussed by both Jeremy and Frans.   None of mine fit that description, so....

I've never read / heard anything from the Garage 1217 guys (Jeremy and Frans) that said the aggressive vs mellow option had anything to do with DACs.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,427 of 1,838
they really should make their own amp+dac stack, a big part of my reason to mabye go Schiit was due to the nice appeal of both matching together on my desk lol i guess i can live without looks if im getting better sound :wink:

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,428 of 1,838
  I went with the mellow as the aggressive is more suited to tame headphones with very bright treble characteristics as discussed by both Jeremy and Frans.   None of mine fit that description, so....

I've never read / heard anything from the Garage 1217 guys (Jeremy and Frans) that said the aggressive vs mellow option had anything to do with DACs.

Third from bottom post on this page:

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/681/project-polaris?page=1

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,429 of 1,838
Just caved in and bought a Polaris for my T1s. I would've gone Horizon but I don't want to deal with tubes since I'm weak and will end up spending more money than I need to on them. I've seen good things about the Polaris and lower model Beyers, has anyone used the combo before?

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,430 of 1,838
Just caved in and bought a Polaris for my T1s. I would've gone Horizon but I don't want to deal with tubes since I'm weak and will end up spending more money than I need to on them. I've seen good things about the Polaris and lower model Beyers, has anyone used the combo before?

DT: 100, 150, 880 (250), 990, 1770- all very good in their own different ways.
Polaris can bring out the best in them as far as I'm concerned.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,431 of 1,838
Im considering buying a Polaris but I'm a bit confused as I have very little knowledge about electrical engineering. I am by no means a diy'er. So can somebody explain to me what jumpers actually are? And how to use the Polaris in general? 

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,436 of 1,838
  Still, as a very non-diy-breaks-everything-I-touch guy. Should I be discouraged from buying the project Polaris in fear of damaging them while adjusting the settings?

No, if you are afraid to assemble it yourself you can buy a pre-built kit and use it out of the box. Changing the settings involves using jumpers which is as simple as lifting a piece of plastic off of one set of pins and putting them on another. If you're unable to do that you may be incapable of using a computer and I suggest you step away from the screen 
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,437 of 1,838

No, if you are afraid to assemble it yourself you can buy a pre-built kit and use it out of the box. Changing the settings involves using jumpers which is as simple as lifting a piece of plastic off of one set of pins and putting them on another. If you're unable to do that you may be incapable of using a computer and I suggest you step away from the screen 
wink.gif

Oh, so that's what it is. Seems fairly simple. That's what I was looking for.
I already knew about the pre-built ones, thanks.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,438 of 1,838
  Oh, so that's what it is. Seems fairly simple. That's what I was looking for.
I already knew about the pre-built ones, thanks.

These are Jumpers.

You hold the top plastic part and just slot the two sockets at the bottom end into adjacent pins that are protruding from the circuit board. Depending which pins you chose your settings change, as explained in the Polaris user manual.
It's very simple and I can't think how you could damage your amplifier with them,
However, Polaris has a high gain output setting and using that with the vol pot too high might not be so good for very sensitive, low impedance headphones- though that would apply to any type of gain setting, of course.

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,439 of 1,838

These are Jumpers.

You hold the top plastic part and just slot the two sockets at the bottom end into adjacent pins that are protruding from the circuit board. Depending which pins you chose your settings change, as explained in the Polaris user manual.
It's very simple and I can't think how you could damage your amplifier with them,
However, Polaris has a high gain output setting and using that with the vol pot too high might not be so good for very sensitive, low impedance headphones- though that would apply to any type of gain setting, of course.

Thanks a lot! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back