New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Feb 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,231 of 1,838
  I ordered them both earlier this afternoon so with any luck hopefully I get them both by next week.
Wait pics? Does that mean I have to clean my desk 
eek.gif

I got mine 3 days after placing the order.
not after it was finished building... after i placed the order.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,232 of 1,838
  Well i took the plunge boys.

-Acrylic Polaris with purple UV light (hoping it looks good on the acrylic)
-Schiit Modi 2 Uber 

I went with the schiit because I got it in B-stock for $145 shipped which seems like a good deal. And I read somewhere it's comparable to a "mini bifrost".
So hopefully I'll remember to come post my impressions before I ascend into audio heaven 
o2smile.gif

I used exactly that for a good while. It brought many smiles to my face. I ended up ordering the AL chassis plates later,  I like the extra weight, but do miss the view of the board.  I am pretty sure you will be happy with the setup.
Jeremy is usually pretty fast. I ordered an Ember from him Tuesday evening. It is scheduled to be here tomorrow.
A nice story. I screwed up my Sunrise III. Long sad story, but my fault I think. He told me if I paid the shipping, he would fix it for the price of any parts that are required.
I couldn't have expected any better outcome. He is good people for sure !!!

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,234 of 1,838
I ordered the Schiit and the Polaris at the same time. (Thurs Afternoon)

The schiit just printed the shipping label - using USPS priority mail - ETA Mon-Tues
The Polaris is already shipped - using USPS 2-Day priority mail - ETA Sun

The Polaris is coming from Arizona and the Schiit from California. I live in Texas
So it looks like ill be initially using my On-board with the Polaris lol

I'm actually surprised that Jeremy got my order ready and shipped before schiit. I figured schiit being a bigger company would have their processes more streamlined. Guess Jeremy is really on top of his schiit  
biggrin.gif

On a side now I just got accepted to my electrical engineering college (Texas aggie woot woot)!!! I've always nerded out over clean circuit boards and the Symmetry of the Polaris really gets those juices flowing. I really wanted to do the DIY kit but the 5year warranty for like $30 was too good to pass up.

Bixby that looks amazing. Gives me an ominous or sinister feel to it in the dark. So cool 
cool.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,235 of 1,838
Originally Posted by CobraTaco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm actually surprised that Jeremy got my order ready and shipped before schiit. I figured schiit being a bigger company would have their processes more streamlined. Guess Jeremy is really on top of his schiit  
biggrin.gif

The best part is Jeremy didn't just get your order ready - he built the whole thing in that time.

I doubt Schiit turned on the soldering station as soon as you placed your order? :wink:

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,237 of 1,838

The best part is Jeremy didn't just get your order ready - he built the whole thing in that time.

I doubt Schiit turned on the soldering station as soon as you placed your order? :wink:

That's not a really good comparison to make to be honest. Schiit is much bigger and has many more orders coming in a day, while g1217 is just a small 3 man team and has considerably less orders to take care of.

But yes, Jeremy is really dedicated and super quick.

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,240 of 1,838
Polaris AND a grace?!?! RIP your wallet LOL I assume you're pre-amping out to the polaris so just using the DAC of the grace?
I like the black/silver color scheme. Did you replace the keycaps on your macbook?

Once I get mine we can have a polaris setup showdown!  
k701smile.gif
 (although others in the thread may have already won)

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,241 of 1,838
  Polaris AND a grace?!?! RIP your wallet LOL I assume you're pre-amping out to the polaris so just using the DAC of the grace?
I like the black/silver color scheme. Did you replace the keycaps on your macbook?

Once I get mine we can have a polaris setup showdown!  
k701smile.gif
 (although others in the thread may have already won)

My wallet died a long time ago >.<

Yeah I'm using the m9XX as a DAC only for now. And nope, it's just a keyboard cover which shows all of the key shortcuts for Mac (pretty useful).

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,242 of 1,838
Anyone else have any experience with hum from the amp? I have some really low volume hum coming from it when using it with my MT220's, but I don't know if that is because of the amp or because of te STX II that I'm using as a DAC. It would make sense considering the MT220 hummed on the STX's headphone out (surprisingly only on 44.1kHz sample rate,) while my DT770/80 don't hum on either. Asking because I have no way of testing them with another source atm.

Hum is low enough that it's only noticable on tracks with near silence in parts of the track, while music is playing it sounds great.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #1,243 of 1,838
Anyone else have any experience with hum from the amp? I have some really low volume hum coming from it when using it with my MT220's, but I don't know if that is because of the amp or because of te STX II that I'm using as a DAC. It would make sense considering the MT220 hummed on the STX's headphone out (surprisingly only on 44.1kHz sample rate,) while my DT770/80 don't hum on either. Asking because I have no way of testing them with another source atm.

Hum is low enough that it's only noticable on tracks with near silence in parts of the track, while music is playing it sounds great.

Ask Jeremy. It could be an issue with your power that can best be corrected with a power conditioner/filter.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,244 of 1,838

most likely a ground loop or induced emi problem that most power conditioners will not fix.  You may have to try replacing  cables, re-routing cables and physically moving components to see if that will cure.  Sometimes the source like a computer can be at issue and then you could try another or the cables leading from it.  These type of gremlins are hard to track down, but trying the above suggestions can help you isolate it to find a solution.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,245 of 1,838
  most likely a ground loop or induced emi problem that most power conditioners will not fix.  You may have to try replacing  cables, re-routing cables and physically moving components to see if that will cure.  Sometimes the source like a computer can be at issue and then you could try another or the cables leading from it.  These type of gremlins are hard to track down, but trying the above suggestions can help you isolate it to find a solution.

A problem I am increasingly finding is that although 3 pin UK plugs are wired for earthing into the mains wall plug socket the AC/DC transformer isn't internally wired for the earth even though it has the 3 pins connector.That can produce loud hums.
It may be worthwhile trying a different power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back