New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jan 10, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,156 of 1,838
Posting this here in case anyone else is interested.
My only complaint was i didn't want the line out's output to stop when I plugged in headphones.
Emailed Jeremy today and he wrote back within an hour.

Here is the very elegant solution if anyone is interested in doing this mod to their Polaris:

Yes sir we have a provision for that! If you take the circuit board out of the chassis, flip it over. Under the headphone jack, there are two gold solder tabs with a break in the middle (directly under the headphone jack). One just needs to use a little solder and join each pair of tabs with the break in the middle and it will function as you like.

You too in 2016! And if you are not able to do the solder work, no worries. Just send it in and we will do it free - just pay shipping back.

Regards, 

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,159 of 1,838
right on, post pictures if you do it. i think im going with purple/UV for mine, cnc with black knob

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,160 of 1,838
  right on, post pictures if you do it. i think im going with purple/UV for mine, cnc with black knob

I posted a picture of my acrylic/silver knob right after osmeone in here posted a cnc/black.
i love the acrylic/silver.
i cant find any rainbow LEDs that arent 3.5-5v so that might be little much for the polaris unfortntaely..

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,161 of 1,838
Somebody just asked me if my Polaris has an auto mute feature... anybody know what he's talking about, and if it does?

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,162 of 1,838
  Somebody just asked me if my Polaris has an auto mute feature... anybody know what he's talking about, and if it does?

I'm guessing this person means if the line out's output mutes when headphones are plugged in? if so this is the default behavior of all polarises. if you want it to not auto mute, you have to do the connecting of the two solder pads on bottom for exactly that purpose, and then it won't mute line out when you plug in headphones.
if this isn't what he/she means i have no idea.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,163 of 1,838

I'm guessing this person means if the line out's output mutes when headphones are plugged in? if so this is the default behavior of all polarises. if you want it to not auto mute, you have to do the connecting of the two solder pads on bottom for exactly that purpose, and then it won't mute line out when you plug in headphones.
if this isn't what he/she means i have no idea.

Right I think. This is what he asked - "... the Polaris has the auto mute RCA outs for when I plug in headphones right?" 

Ah, so it defaults to auto muting? I'm thinking that's what he wants.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,164 of 1,838
  Right I think. This is what he asked - "... the Polaris has the auto mute RCA outs for when I plug in headphones right?" 

Ah, so it defaults to auto muting? I'm thinking that's what he wants.

Yup. Unless you specifically requested it not to, or you did the mod yourself, it auto mutes the rca outs when you plug in headphones, yeah.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,165 of 1,838

Yup. Unless you specifically requested it not to, or you did the mod yourself, it auto mutes the rca outs when you plug in headphones, yeah.

Cool, thank you :)

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,166 of 1,838
  Posting this here in case anyone else is interested.
My only complaint was i didn't want the line out's output to stop when I plugged in headphones.
Emailed Jeremy today and he wrote back within an hour.

Here is the very elegant solution if anyone is interested in doing this mod to their Polaris:

Yea I've been in touch with Jeremy since I got my Starlight, as a demo a few weeks ago... I wound up buying mine. 

I'm a little ashamed of my self, as I was rather... opposed to their open design for many years, I felt the design was cheap an poorly thought out though I'd never heard one... welp I heard one it had LESS noise than the Enclosed Schiit Vali 2 :/

morale of the story, Jeremy an his team do some awesome work! An are excellent guys to do buisness with! 

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,167 of 1,838
That's the story for me too as well as many other big fans of G1217. a lot of us, me included, dismissed it pretty much immediately, thinking the designs couldn't make any sense... finally found myself reading the product page 100 times over every day for a week and i bought the damn thing, my biggest problem is i want like 5 more G1217 amps now.

if this is how good they can make a solid state amp, i have to hear their tube amps!!!

Come get me when there's a schiit that can hold its own against a G1217!

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,168 of 1,838
  That's the story for me too as well as many other big fans of G1217. a lot of us, me included, dismissed it pretty much immediately, thinking the designs couldn't make any sense... finally found myself reading the product page 100 times over every day for a week and i bought the damn thing, my biggest problem is i want like 5 more G1217 amps now.

if this is how good they can make a solid state amp, i have to hear their tube amps!!!

Yea I've got the Vali 2 an sadly it doesn't compare to well,

Yes on one hand the Vali 2 has more power, an can drive a wider range of headphones
On the other hand it doesn't sound nearly as good with it's stock tube an it's noisy AND it still "pings" when you plug something into it >.> 

Though Honestly if not for me being BROKE I might have tried the Polaris too, I need a good SE Solid State... kinda... honestly though I might just upgrade the Tube in my Starlight an call it a day. My iBasso PB2 does well as a solid state honestly

either way I am curious to hear the Polaris! 

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,169 of 1,838

I was gone from Head-Fi for so long that when I came back, you brave souls had already listened to them and had ringing endorsements.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,170 of 1,838
I was gone from Head-Fi for so long that when I came back, you brave souls had already listened to them and had ringing endorsements.

yea the WAVES of positive feed back are what made me finally bite! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back