New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Sep 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #976 of 1,838
  Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back with my impressions.

Keeps me from having to switch it off/on every time I listen to it.  If there aren't any detrimental effects from leaving it on, it would simply be more convenient.

It does have a switch. As long as it is accessible, turning it off should not be much of an inconvenience. I turn mine off when I am not using it. It really does not get very warm in use and I have not yet noticed differences in the sound from immediately using it to a few hours later.  Completely up to you, but for the maximum longevity, I tend to think  turning it off is better.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #977 of 1,838
All set now... just purchased the Modi 2 Uber to go with my Project Polaris and HD600.  Will be a definite improvement over my ATH-AD700 + O2 amp

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #978 of 1,838
  All set now... just purchased the Modi 2 Uber to go with my Project Polaris and HD600.  Will be a definite improvement over my ATH-AD700 + O2 amp

Never heard the O2, used to have the AD700 and Polaris.. Have the Modi2 Uber and have been very pleased with the sound quality. The AD-700 is pretty good-a little light on the bass and a little brighter than I like, but a tube amp would probably help. I'm sure the HD600 will be great with this combo.​

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #979 of 1,838

I have an o2 amp and Polaris so will be very interested in your comparisons, too.
I always switch everything off when I finish listening-but I don't switch off at the mains plug/socket, though I gather it's better for the Planet if we do.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #980 of 1,838
Hey guys, new to Head-Fi! I'm about to take the plunge in buying a Polaris, but I have one main question. Does Garage 1217 have a return policy for their products? I would be buying the preassembled version and not the DIY kit. I tried contacting Jeremy via the online form but he hasn't responded yet probably because it's the weekend so I'm curious if any of you guys know.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #981 of 1,838
Jeremy is a very cool dude. Ask him if you can demo before buying. You will pay the full amount for the amp but if not satisfied you can return it and just pay shipping. Doing it this way gives you the ability to test it and return it. This is not a option he markets I do not think but if I'm not mistaken he will do it.

Once you listen to this amp I think you will have no problem keeping it.

He is actually awesome at getting back to people. Just give him some time as he might be busy.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #982 of 1,838
Jeremy is a very cool dude. Ask him if you can demo before buying. You will pay the full amount for the amp but if not satisfied you can return it and just pay shipping. Doing it this way gives you the ability to test it and return it. This is not a option he markets I do not think but if I'm not mistaken he will do it.

Once you listen to this amp I think you will have no problem keeping it.

He is actually awesome at getting back to people. Just give him some time as he might be busy.

That works! I will ask him once he gets back to me.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #983 of 1,838
I just got the Polaris (to power HE-500's I also just picked up), and I'm just super-happy with this decision. I don't have a rich assortment of amps to compare against (just my Schiit Magni and a friend's O2). The amount of detail retrieval that just moving from the Shiit to this amp - I couldn't believe the change. I fully expected that with these headphones (which were completely new to me), that I would need to spend time A/B'ing the 2 amps to hear what, if anything, the Polaris would bring to bear.

Boy was I wrong.  I was immediate awe-struck. Female voices just sounded "right": they had a better tonal balance; they now had air around them which really gave them life; I could actually make out lyrics that I never understood before (I *really* didn't believe that when I first experienced it - I had to relisten to some tracks again to realize that I was actually finally hearing what she was saying).

Instrument separation was much stronger. For the first time since my 20s (when I was hanging out in high-end audio shops), I actually stopped "actively listening": meaning I sat back, closed my eyes, and could just *hear* the entire musical presentation. All my experiences before this with headphones required me to focus on listening to different parts in the music - be it the layers of additional vocal tracks, or tracking all of what the drummer (Tool's drummer can be hard to follow on other setups), or all the small additional instruments added for color and texture.  For the next few hours, I just re-listened to those tracks which had been played endlessly and didn't have to 'work': all that detail was made so completely evident.

I'll stop now as I don't want this to come across too strongly. I can only assume there are amps which can take detail, sound stage, separation, etc. even further. But for the price paid, holy cow. What an amazing amp.

I only have ~12 hours on it. I'll need to spend a lot more, get "acclimated" to it, then go back and try the Magni and O2 again, just to see what differences I hear there.

BTW, Jeremy was awesome. Exactly what I would want for a salesman of any product. He knows his stuff, answered all my questions, obviously thought highly of his product but wasn't pushy and never seemed to be over-selling. He had some great recommendations for tubes for my DAC. He actually swayed me away from the Ember since the DAC already has a tube, and trying to match & align the DAC tube with the Ember tubes could be "difficult".

* full disclaimer: I'm going from JRiver -> USB/SPDIF converter -> Cal Audio Sigma II DAC (yes, that old one) -> Polaris -> HE-500s.  The Cal Audio DAC has a tube output stage.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #984 of 1,838
Exactly.... For the price paid, what an amazing amp.

Jeremy is a really nice guy and sells the amps at such a competitive price, that the profit margins for him really aren't that much. He's more an enthusiast really!

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #985 of 1,838
HOWIE13 in a few lines, can you compare the sound of the Franken-Ember with the polaris? We got another baby last week and I won't be using my stereo for a while at home, so I am thinking on having a second system there. My Ember is permanently in my office :p

I could buy another Ember for home but the Polaris is also a very appealing alternative, also slightly cheaper!

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #987 of 1,838
Polaris is also less noisy with no tube and a better range of gains available.

Yes, that also! I think I have found a system that works great with my headphones and with my taste :p

I have to say that my (shamessly) expensive stereo system never gave me so much joy as the Ember+he400i. I am thinking on selling it and just have something cheaper and less intrusive to watch movies in the future.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #989 of 1,838
@HOWIE13 in a few lines, can you compare the sound of the Franken-Ember with the polaris? We got another baby last week and I won't be using my stereo for a while at home, so I am thinking on having a second system there. My Ember is permanently in my office :p

I could buy another Ember for home but the Polaris is also a very appealing alternative, also slightly cheaper!

Congrats on the new baby. Will try that comparison when I return from holiday in Spain next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back