New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Sep 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #948 of 1,838

One last question, how well will the Modi 2 Uber pair with the Polaris?  I like the small size of the Modi which is about the same dimensions as the Polaris and the relatively cheap price.

I use the Polaris with the Modi 2 Uber, and with great results I'd say. I was using Polaris straight from a MacBook Pro, which was actually already great, but Modi 2 Uber was perceptibly better (to my ears). Low end seemed tighter, the highs seem to have more 'authority' while being smoother too. And the presentation just seemed more holographic, or something. 

My chain:  FLAC -> Audirvana -> Modi 2 Uber -> Project Polaris -> HE-400i 

I'm curious what settings other HE-400i users have landed on. I'm currently using...

Input Attenuation: With (I think)
Bandwidth: High
Gain: Low
Output Resistance: Med

Does anyone have any further thoughts on settings, with the 400i?..

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #949 of 1,838
I use the Polaris with the Modi 2 Uber, and with great results I'd say. I was using Polaris straight from a MacBook Pro, which was actually already great, but Modi 2 Uber was perceptibly better (to my ears). Low end seemed tighter, the highs seem to have more 'authority' while being smoother too. And the presentation just seemed more holographic, or something. 

I'm curious what settings other HE-400i users have landed on. I'm currently using...

I have the 400i, but I use them with an Ember. I tend to change the settings depending on the tube, but I normally use high gain, low output res.

What do you think of the subbass with the polaris and the he400i?

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #950 of 1,838

I do not use attenuation, but that is due to the output level of my source.
I use LOW output resistance for my 400i. IIRC the 400i is around 35 ohm impedance. Medium output resistance is about 35 Ohms.
I would think that would lead to an under damped condition... yes I know they are planars, but diaphragm control (damping) is still good.

Of course, if you prefer the sound using medium... it is what it is. I like low better.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #951 of 1,838
I am also listening to FLAC files through Audirvana and not sure yet which amp I want to go with ATM.  The Polaris is nice since it is Solid State, around $300 with the aluminum backing (+ shipping) and no need to purchase tubes.  I am also looking at the Ember which adds about another $150+ depending on my options which definitely looks nicer.  My 3rd option is the Valhalla 2 which I read is great with the HD600 plus the tubes that comes with the amp is very good.   I am having a hard time deciding which to go with :frowning2:

The cheapest route is the Polaris + Modi 2 Uber and I am sure it will also be great pairing with the HD600 as your HE 400i.  

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #952 of 1,838

bjamn, can you please post a picture of your setup with the Polaris + M2U.  If I go this route, I would stack the two together to take up less space on my desk.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #953 of 1,838
I am also listening to FLAC files through Audirvana and not sure yet which amp I want to go with ATM.  The Polaris is nice since it is Solid State, around $300 with the aluminum backing (+ shipping) and no need to purchase tubes.  I am also looking at the Ember which adds about another $150+ depending on my options which definitely looks nicer.  My 3rd option is the Valhalla 2 which I read is great with the HD600 plus the tubes that comes with the amp is very good.   I am having a hard time deciding which to go with :frowning2:

The cheapest route is the Polaris + Modi 2 Uber and I am sure it will also be great pairing with the HD600 as your HE 400i.  

I have a Vali and the Ember, and I much prefer the Ember. Of course it is a more expensive amp. I think you cannot go wrong with any of those amps, but it seems that people only mention the flexibility of the garage1217 amps. And yes, they are flexible but they ALSO sound very very good!

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #954 of 1,838
I saw a photo on Google with the acrylic Polaris (blue LED) and was running a PeachTree DAC-iT with the HD600. Looked very nice together.

I've read the PeachTree is a better DAC than the BiFrost so I will probably go this route.

First purchase will be the Polaris in the next few days.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #955 of 1,838
  bjamn, can you please post a picture of your setup with the Polaris + M2U.  If I go this route, I would stack the two together to take up less space on my desk.

Well, there really isn't much to see as I've found the two units don't really stack. The M2U has a much smaller footprint, and you can't really put anything on top of the Polaris. Mine just sit side by side. (Or actually amp in front dac in the back.)

It seems like I've seen some small stacking shelves somewhere in a Head-Fi thread, but I can't seem to find it! And I've been unable to find anything searching the web. I'd love a small 'component' shelf system that fits these units, but I've had not luck so far.

Does anyone know of anything that fits the Polaris?

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #956 of 1,838
What do you think of the subbass with the polaris and the he400i?

Honestly, when I first got the 400i I wanted it to be 'bassier'. But now I've really come around to what they do (esp. with the Polaris). I find the bass to be complete and decently textured. I wouldn't say the subbass is slamming, but confidently present when called upon. When using the Polaris the bass reminds me of hearing an actual electric bass amp in a studio or jam room environment. It seems to tickle the sub end enough to feel big and natural (to me). I do EQ the bass up a few db's on occasion, and the Polaris/400i combination doesn't seem to mind a bit. 

Now if I could only widen the soundstage...

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #957 of 1,838

And I've been unable to find anything searching the web. I'd love a small 'component' shelf system that fits these units, but I've had not luck so far.

Does anyone know of anything that fits the Polaris?

Been looking for something as well, and so far I've found Woodwarmth on etsy (https://www.etsy.com/listing/225959556/woodwarmth-headphone-dacamp-stand?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=amp%20dac%20headphone%20stand&ref=sr_gallery_1). Judging by the description, they can also make your "shelf" custom-sized to your setup.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #958 of 1,838
Just purchased the Polaris in acrylic with blue LED. Jeremy said I should get it by next Tuesday. Can't wait to upgrade from my JDS Labs O2!!

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #959 of 1,838
Honestly, when I first got the 400i I wanted it to be 'bassier'. But now I've really come around to what they do (esp. with the Polaris). I find the bass to be complete and decently textured. I wouldn't say the subbass is slamming, but confidently present when called upon. When using the Polaris the bass reminds me of hearing an actual electric bass amp in a studio or jam room environment. It seems to tickle the sub end enough to feel big and natural (to me). I do EQ the bass up a few db's on occasion, and the Polaris/400i combination doesn't seem to mind a bit. 

Now if I could only widen the soundstage...

Yeah, that is the reason why I asked. My Ember makes the HE400i rumble nicely, but everyone seems to complain about the sub-bass. The soundstage seems expand a bit when I use some tubes, but it is not a huge improvement, and certainly not an option for the Polaris. I have also been thinking on jumping (eventually, not now) on trying to source pre-owned LCD-2, but I would like to audition them first.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #960 of 1,838
Just purchased the Polaris in acrylic with blue LED. Jeremy said I should get it by next Tuesday. Can't wait to upgrade from my JDS Labs O2!!

I would recommend you to let it break in properly before you drag any conclusions. I was too eager to test mine and in the beginning the sound signature changed dramatically including somewhat dull and harsh sounding stages (relatively speaking). It finally settled with a very pleasant sound that I have never found in any other amp, but it took a while (+40 hours)! My two cents, I hope you enjoy the amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back