New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Sep 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #933 of 1,838
  If you come on to DIY Audio Heaven, you can speak directly with Jeremy and Solderdude. (The guy who designed all of those amps)

That's the answer !

EDIT: I now see Frans has already answered the question on DIY Audio Heaven (14/2/15).

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/681/project-polaris?page=6

Thanks again Ian.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #934 of 1,838
So Polaris is growing on me, I played with some of the adjustments and it is sounding better

Gain on medium, bandwidth to low, and output resistance to low, tamed some of the brightness and able to listen for much longer periods, I noticed when I did the grill mod on the He500's the top end opened up, I tried the fuzzer mod and felt it muddied the waters,so I removed it. perhaps the fuzzer mod is in order now / again

Definitely a fun little amp that performs very well, one issue though once you hear and play with this one you will want to try / play with some of the others

Can someone point me to the money tree
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #935 of 1,838
  So Polaris is growing on me, I played with some of the adjustments and it is sounding better

Gain on medium, bandwidth to low, and output resistance to low, tamed some of the brightness and able to listen for much longer periods, I noticed when I did the grill mod on the He500's the top end opened up, I tried the fuzzer mod and felt it muddied the waters,so I removed it. perhaps the fuzzer mod is in order now / again

Definitely a fun little amp that performs very well, one issue though once you hear and play with this one you will want to try / play with some of the others

Can someone point me to the money tree
biggrin.gif

I'm confused as to which Kenzie amp you have. In an earlier post you said it was the Kenzie amp with the Darling circuit and that it outputs 3/4 watts. Their website says that amp uses the 1626 tube and outputs 200mW, not 750mW. However, at the bottom of your posts you show the SE 84 amp, which I think uses the 6BQ5/EL84 tube and outputs 3 watts. I must be reading something wrong? Just curious.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #936 of 1,838
Its the Kenzie I linked earlier, Linked below again

http://ampsandsound.com/products/custom-amps/kenzie-headphone-amp/

My quote about 3/4 wpc is of the darling circuit I did not realize Justin posted the different power specs in the headphone design of the Kenzie

What ever the Power quotes are the thing has gobs of Drive or Volume or Control or Finesse............of course at 1500 it should 
wink.gif

IMHO the Kenzie is not a real comparison for the Polaris, its just what I had and the only thing I could compare it to, when it comes to value the Polaris is a WINNER for sure and though IMHO not quite as good as Kenzie it is a great amp

Like I said it is growing on me even as I type and listen to Ben Harper 
L3000.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #937 of 1,838
I am about to purchase either the Polaris or Solstice and was wondering what most people choose for the covering... aluminum or acrylic?  I like the looks of the acrylic since you can see all the parts inside of the amp but pictures online makes it hard to see the adjustment settings compared to the aluminum chassis.  The aluminum looks very nice but is more expensive and cannot see the LED color as much as acrylic.  Also wondering if purple would be too wild for the LED color.  I know the Polaris is easily changed but Solstice cannot be.

For cleaning, I have a Metro DavaVac Electric Duster (http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW) that is pretty powerful and was wondering if this would be OK to use.

One last question, how well will the Modi 2 Uber pair with the Polaris?  I like the small size of the Modi which is about the same dimensions as the Polaris and the relatively cheap price.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #938 of 1,838
i plan to get the purple, i'm torn on the chasis myself, i like the added weight of the metal one, but the plexi is pretty cool with the LED, i agree.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #939 of 1,838
The weight does help to keep it stable and actually, it shows dust less too. I do agree though, that acrylic looks nice.

If the top had been made wider, Jeremy could have bent the edges down, so in effect, boxing (and screening a little moe) would have completely enclosed it for those bothered by phone noise.

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #942 of 1,838
@camui78:  Acrylic looks great imo. Either way, if you plan on handling/moving it, just look where you're grasping to avoid pressing on the plastic jumpers sticking up from the top surface panel. As for the LED colors....do what you like...

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #944 of 1,838
Are we talking Frank Zappa here? Montana makes reference to 'whipping posts' .....

Ben Harper, Welcome to the Cruel World, Track 2 Whipping Boy, Just a retort to Mr. TunekJazz response of Excuse Me Mr. which is another song title by Ben Harper. (now we all know why I am not a comedian 
bigsmile_face.gif
 )

If you are an Acoustic music fan I highly recommend Ben Harper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back