New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Mar 31, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,352 of 1,838
Thanks guys.
What is the recommended gain with the HD650?
the amp need a burn in to improve? 
The differences between the STX and Polaris from what I hear very little in the meantime, So it's a bit surprising that people have described this difference of heaven and earth.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,356 of 1,838
Thanks guys.
The differences between the STX and Polaris from what I hear very little in the meantime, So it's a bit surprising that people have described this difference of heaven and earth.

My hd600s sound best to my ears using the middle impedence setting (R), but even the low gain setting is more than sufficient i.e. 1 o'clock on the knob is as loud as I need with most recordings. I always use the lowest gain settings possible as higher gain settings can raise the noise floor along with the volume of the music. Enjoy your new toy.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,357 of 1,838
  Thanks guys.

personally i am not a believer of burn in.

i believe the brain gets used to the sound. thats my opinion.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,358 of 1,838
Interesting - did you get a Mean Well brand psu with your Polaris? I find all my Mean Wells work very well.

One day I hope to try it with a true linear bench supply but first I need the space for one.

Has there been any news about the Garage1217 LPS that they were working on? Haven't heard anything on that front in a while.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,360 of 1,838
  personally i am not a believer of burn in.

i believe the brain gets used to the sound. thats my opinion.

probably right. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #1,361 of 1,838
Last time I heard from Jeremy, he was preparing the case for the power supply, I guess he is close to finishing everything.

thats interesting.
fancy one for my Ember

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,362 of 1,838
Any news about the new linear power supply? I'm super interested and after reading as much as my mind will absorb for now. Hell I would preorder if they opened it up ☺ . I think I saw some images of raw board with a big ole toroid on it. Temptation!

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,363 of 1,838
Depending on price I may order too. I've noticed improvements by messing with the AC cable and I have no doubts linear power would push these amps to the limit of what they're capable of!

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,364 of 1,838
So I'm fully aware that the Polaris is a headphone amp, but i just ordered an Overnight Sensations speaker kit and im curious if the polaris pre-amp will be enough to power them or if I should get a $50-100 dedicated speaker amp. Suggestions?

P.S. do u guys think dark stained wood on speakers looks good. Can't decide how to finish the speaker boxes

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,365 of 1,838
So I'm fully aware that the Polaris is a headphone amp, but i just ordered an Overnight Sensations speaker kit and im curious if the polaris pre-amp will be enough to power them or if I should get a $50-100 dedicated speaker amp. Suggestions?

P.S. do u guys think dark stained wood on speakers looks good. Can't decide how to finish the speaker boxes

The polaris preamp is good enough if they're powered speakers. If they're passive you'll need a power amp, but just the same, the polaris' line out is perfect for that.

I'm about to buy my second Polaris BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back