New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jun 26, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #828 of 1,838
Oh ok. I was going to say that you can dim it or turn it off, but another colour is another led. Just a plug in I think but must be the right way around or it'll blow.

As shown in the Polaris manual..

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #829 of 1,838
Hi,
I am on the search for a new amp for my he400i. I currently have a Vali, which I like, but will go to my office.

I would like to try something new, and project ember and polaris come to my mind, along with the Asgard 2.

I have found many posts describing flexibility, but not so much about the sound character of the Garage 1217s. I guess that flexibility makes it more elusive to describe such products. I am not a bass head, but I like a good solid bass impact. From the Vali that I own, I like the harshness free sound, but not so much the high background noise
noise. The bass of the Vali could also be more defined and hit a bit harder.

What do you think about the ember vs polaris in these 2 particular aspects (bass impact and harshness)?

Finally how do they compare with the Asgard 2?

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #830 of 1,838
@Tunkejazz
They both sound very similar actually, (Ember & Polaris). The Ember is a hybrid amp so IMO it has characteristics of a solid state with the ability to change the sound with tubes. I own both amps and the Ember is hands down the best for me. Both push the same watts and more than enough power for most any headphones. Neither is harsh IMO. I've bought the Ember twice now so that should say how much I like it. But my Polaris actually compares well with the Ember sound wise.

I think if your headphones can do the bass the Polaris or Ember will do a fine job. With the Ember though the tube can change the FR so it is more dependent on the tube you run. For bass I tend to gravitate towards the amperex 12ax7 tubes, in my case the several bugle boy tubes I own.

Buying the 6sn7 adapter and a VT-231 designated tube I think you will have all the bass you need but only your ears can judge. What i find as solid bass punch you might find weak. We are all different in how we hear and what we prefer. I can say that I am a bit of a bass head though, which would explain the Velodyne 15" and Hsu Research 12" subs in my home theater room. Or the Sound Splinter 15" sub in the trunk of my car.

One more thing, Buying from garage1217 you not only get a very sweet amp that hits well above it's price but you also get the most awesome customer service with Jeremy. This dude goes above and beyond with his customer service. I feel like I owe this guy something for all the help he's provided me. This is the type of customer service that is hard to find and makes you feel like He's not just some guy selling **** but one of your buds.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #831 of 1,838
@Tunkejazz

They both sound very similar actually, (Ember & Polaris). The Ember is a hybrid amp so IMO it has characteristics of a solid state with the ability to change the sound with tubes. I own both amps and the Ember is hands down the best for me. Both push the same watts and more than enough power for most any headphones. Neither is harsh IMO. I've bought the Ember twice now so that should say how much I like it. But my Polaris actually compares well with the Ember sound wise.

I think if your headphones can do the bass the Polaris or Ember will do a fine job. With the Ember though the tube can change the FR so it is more dependent on the tube you run. For bass I tend to gravitate towards the amperex 12ax7 tubes, in my case the several bugle boy tubes I own.

Buying the 6sn7 adapter and a VT-231 designated tube I think you will have all the bass you need but only your ears can judge. What i find as solid bass punch you might find weak. We are all different in how we hear and what we prefer. I can say that I am a bit of a bass head though, which would explain the Velodyne 15" and Hsu Research 12" subs in my home theater room. Or the Sound Splinter 15" sub in the trunk of my car.

One more thing, Buying from garage1217 you not only get a very sweet amp that hits well above it's price but you also get the most awesome customer service with Jeremy. This dude goes above and beyond with his customer service. I feel like I owe this guy something for all the help he's provided me. This is the type of customer service that is hard to find and makes you feel like He's not just some guy selling **** but one of your buds.

Thanks! I am not sure I am any close to decide though :wink: i can see the charm of rolling tubes...but also the charm of not having to do it (polaris)!

I am based in Sweden and importing from the US is a real pain (of fees and taxes). I wish they had a retailer inside the EU. Because this will affect the availability of tubes.

BTW, suggestions for dacs under 200 for the ember/polaris?

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #832 of 1,838
I think you'd be happy with the Polaris. I bet you'd be happy with the Asgard 2 as well. Personally the Schiit amp I considered at one time was the Lyr 2 but opted for the Ember instead.

As for DACS well I'm the wrong guy for that question as I have no experience with any DACs in that price range. I know people who have stated that the Schiit modi and Loki both work really well with the Ember and Polaris. So one of those might be a good start. Depends on what sort of connections you need I suppose.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #833 of 1,838
no way the polaris can sound the same if you put 7193 tubes with Ember..... i had not listen but the upgrade tube was  very high upgrade...for me
popcorn.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #834 of 1,838
  no way the polaris can sound the same if you put 7193 tubes with Ember..... i had not listen but the upgrade tube was  very high upgrade...for me
popcorn.gif

I cannot compare since I do not have that 'upgrade' but I think most people that either own both amps or have A/B both of them would  have to admit they share sound characteristics. Not claiming they are equal but....
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #835 of 1,838
  I cannot compare since I do not have that 'upgrade' but I think most people that either own both amps or have A/B both of them would  have to admit they share sound characteristics. Not claiming they are equal but....
wink.gif

i am sure you are right witout the 6sn7 tube and without the 7193 the two had certainly similarities i read that also....but the difference between the straight Ember  and the Ember +6sn7 tube was there for me... The difference between the 6sn7 tube and the 7193 was greater...Hence people with the straight ember can claims with the polaris similiraties... But i wait for a comparison between Ember+7193 tubes and any amp under one thousand dollars....
popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #836 of 1,838

i am sure you are right witout the 6sn7 tube and without the 7193 the two had certainly similarities i read that also....but the difference between the straight Ember  and the Ember +6sn7 tube was there for me... The difference between the 6sn7 tube and the 7193 was greater...Hence people with the straight ember can claims with the polaris similiraties... But i wait for a comparison between Ember+7193 tubes and any amp under one thousand dollars....
popcorn.gif

Do you own the Polaris by chance? If not then I don't see how you can even comment. BUT I do agree with the 7193 tube difference. I don't agree with the 6sn7 difference though because I have tubes for the standard Ember that perform on par. I cannot comment on the 7193 though as I do not have it but damn I might buy it tonight just to A/B.
curiosity
Please don't take offense to my above question about the Polaris and you owning one. It was more a curiosity than anything. Until I hear the 7193 I honestly cannot say one way or the other.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #837 of 1,838
  Do you own the Polaris by chance? If not then I don't see how you can even comment. BUT I do agree with the 7193 tube difference. I don't agree with the 6sn7 difference though because I have tubes for the standard Ember that perform on par. I cannot comment on the 7193 though as I do not have it but damn I might buy it tonight just to A/B.
curiosity
Please don't take offense to my above question about the Polaris and you owning one. It was more a curiosity than anything. Until I hear the 7193 I honestly cannot say one way or the other.

i dont take offence... i said that after my own experience and deduction.... all people ( preference aside) have said on their review that the 2 are on par, different yes, but with a family resemblance but this people who compared the 2 amp no one compared it with the 7193 tubes...... When i upgrade with the 7193 the upgrade was so great that i deduce that the Ember is the FLAGSHIP effectively because with the 7193 he is certainly no more on par with the polaris now.....not necessary hence to have listen to the polaris which cannot upgrade by himself.... I said what i said by deducing all that because of the very great upgrade i experienced myself ( if two amp are on par but one may upgrade with a tube and the other cannot hence its a logical deduction to say that the upgradable one is superior with the right upgrade tube )I already said that i will repeat myself , no one had listen the Ember potential without the 7193 tubes......Have you read the post  where i had collected reviews of people on the net about the 7193  compared to the 6sn7 ? they are all unanimous without any doubt... its because of that i bought the 7193 tubes and adapter.....
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #839 of 1,838
all tube are not equal in the same family.......For example if your 12at7 or 12au 7 or 6dj8 prefered tube is one of the best of the family perhaps if the 6sn7 tube is not one of the best in his family, you will not enjoyed an upgrade with it ..... But in general if you read reviews 6sn7 are in "general" better than most other straight tubes for the Ember..... I had bought different 6sn7 they are not equal... My best was a stromberg carlson tube.... But the upgrade with the 7193 tubes was way more evident and spectacular  than the one i experienced with my prefered bugle boy 12au7 to the 6sn7....
gs1000.gif

for the 6sn7 tube be patient and wait for 2 kenrad
popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #840 of 1,838
I'm done looking for 6SN7 because I already have the best 6sn7 I think I'll ever find. That said I feel I need to touch this topic again. I think the 6sn7 is = to my best 12ax7's and 12at7's but the 6sn7 is more open.

Now i'm thinking i need to try the 7193 just to see what you are all tripping about.

i can buy a couple of 7193 ken rads...i would prefer to buy from a usa seller though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back