New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jul 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 1,838
I enjoy it quite a bit with my HE4 and HE560. Jeremy is an amazing person to work with which makes
How do you like the ember? Someone in the amp-recommendations thread for LCD-2's told me to get in contact with Garage1217 and ask if they could send me one as a demo, since I was in the market for a new amp.
for an excellent customer experience. Definitely audition one but have a nice tube handy when you do. The stock one isn't bad but there's a lot to be gained by getting better tubes.

Check out the Ember tube rolling thread for some suggestions. I'd recommend Sylvania red and RCA BH7s (only works with the supercharged model).

Edit: massive quote fail from cell phone editing

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 1,838
I enjoy it quite a bit with my HE4 and HE560. Jeremy is an amazing person to work with which makes
for an excellent customer experience. Definitely audition one but have a nice tube handy when you do. The stock one isn't bad but there's a lot to be gained by getting better tubes.

Check out the Ember tube rolling thread for some suggestions. I'd recommend Sylvania red and RCA BH7s (only works with the supercharged model).

Edit: massive quote fail from cell phone editing

Could you possibly point me in the right direction to purchase tubes? I'm really new to this sort of thing, that's why I wanted to try all my options before committing to spending hundreds of dollars, haha :D

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 1,838
EBay is where i bought mine, the RCA ones are quite common. If you get the Sylvania, get the one with red writing. Both are bh7 tubes and require the supercharger.

G1217 also sells tubes so it could very well be a one stop shop. Just ask Jeremy what tube upgrade he'd recommend for your LCD 2, he might have a good pairing in mind..
Could you possibly point me in the right direction to purchase tubes? I'm really new to this sort of thing, that's why I wanted to try all my options before committing to spending hundreds of dollars, haha :D

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 1,838
EBay is where i bought mine, the RCA ones are quite common. If you get the Sylvania, get the one with red writing. Both are bh7 tubes and require the supercharger.

G1217 also sells tubes so it could very well be a one stop shop. Just ask Jeremy what tube upgrade he'd recommend for your LCD 2, he might have a good pairing in mind..

Thank you so much! I will make sure to do more looking into, and I'll make sure to send him an email later tonight!

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 1,838

Same thing here, the Ember is the most versatile good sounding amp/preamp in the market.... The dissatisfaction with it is inexistant....So far i am interested  to listen the reviewer about the Polaris ... Because of the price, perhaps  the sound will be attractive too? One thing is for sure, Garage 2117 has good  reputation.... I am curious of the pairing of the Ember or the Polaris with the hifiman he6 or with the he 400i and the he 560.... I  will wait for that....

I have HE-560 with Ember. . I am using Mullard CV4024 / 12AT7 tube. They sound great. Excellent sound stage and superb bass. Ember is lot of amp for $325 

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 1,838
you guys think they will be coming out with a new version of the ember anytime soon? i saw that they recently upgraded project horizon and sunrise

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #22 of 1,838
  I have HE-560 with Ember. . I am using Mullard CV4024 / 12AT7 tube. They sound great. Excellent sound stage and superb bass. Ember is lot of amp for $325 

thank you for impression.... i am interested in buying he 560....and yes i think for the price this is the best amp....best regards

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 1,838

Wow it's quite small!  Do you have anything else to compare it against?

It's the same footprint as the Ember but much much thinner. From the bottom of the rubber feet to the top of the post bolt I've got about 1.5 inches. I've got the Ember I use at home as well. Maverick A1 at work powers speakers and has a HP out but not really comparing that. I've also got a Yulong D100 and E18 but both are Amp/Dacs.

Edit: Ok, so it's been running for 3 hours now since I've gotten it. Can't help myself but the Grade SR80 with wood cups sound absolutely stunning out of these. Low gain, low resistance, w/out input attenuation, and A/Bing between High Bandwith and Low Bandwith (which Jeremy explains rolls of the extreme highs to add a tube flavor to the fast SS amp). One word so far will be wow.

Full chain is Chesky Flac Binaural > Foobar2000 > FiiO E18 (as DAC) > Project Polaris > Grado SR80 with Ebony Wood = WOW

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #26 of 1,838

It's the same footprint as the Ember but much much thinner. From the bottom of the rubber feet to the top of the post bolt I've got about 1.5 inches.

I've got the Ember I use at home as well. Maverick A1 at work powers speakers and has a HP out but not really comparing that. I've also got a Yulong D100 and E18 but both are Amp/Dacs.

Looking forward to your thoughts, I was thinking of upgrading from my objective 2 to something else for my LCD-2 w/ Fazor

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 1,838

It's the same footprint as the Ember but much much thinner. From the bottom of the rubber feet to the top of the post bolt I've got about 1.5 inches. I've got the Ember I use at home as well. Maverick A1 at work powers speakers and has a HP out but not really comparing that. I've also got a Yulong D100 and E18 but both are Amp/Dacs.

Edit: Ok, so it's been running for 3 hours now since I've gotten it. Can't help myself but the Grade SR80 with wood cups sound absolutely stunning out of these. Low gain, low resistance, w/out input attenuation, and A/Bing between High Bandwith and Low Bandwith (which Jeremy explains rolls of the extreme highs to add a tube flavor to the fast SS amp). One word so far will be wow.

Full chain is Chesky Flac Binaural > Foobar2000 > FiiO E18 (as DAC) > Project Polaris > Grado SR80 with Ebony Wood = WOW

@Soundsgoodtome hey do you have a project ember to compare it too??? lookin forward to your impressions :):):)

Yes I do and yes I will after a couple of days of letting the Polaris run non stop. My rigs are still in boxes right now from the meet on Saturday
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #30 of 1,838
It's coming, giving it that 3 day burn in so have patience lol! So far I can say I'm very impressed with the amp driving my he4 and 560s which don't take well to low powered amps. The amp is clean clean clean! My ears are coming from the Ember with Sylvania BH7 so there's the tube v solid state in effect but before I go on about the amp and it's features (that's really impressed me) let me get another day or two in. Hang tight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back