New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Jul 6, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,486 of 1,838
Contrary to the implications of what vapman said, you can't say a dac is "trash" just because of the chip it uses. If you are happy with the sound from the Yamaha, you should try to use it first if you don't want to spend money for an outboard dac. As to his advice re getting a signal to the polaris, i don't know what the hell he is talking about. I still think you can make it work by using the md/cd-r out jacks with rca cables to the polaris' in jacks.

While I believe you will probably get better sound (especially with headphones) from spending some extra $ on a dedicated dac, you can always do that later if necessary.

@jamor  -  Try the out (rec) of your receiver > connect to polaris input

Subwooper output may be mono.

I just purchased some RCA cables and I'll try those suggestions out.  I don't have a good feeling it's going to work though because the model up from the Yamaha I have specifically has a documentation for pre-out connections and connecting external amplifiers while my model doesn't.   If not, I could just get an O2 Dac or a Modi 2 uber? Unless there's something better in that price range.  I'm still waiting for the Polaris to ship though.

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,487 of 1,838
I just purchased some RCA cables and I'll try those suggestions out.  I don't have a good feeling it's going to work though because the model up from the Yamaha I have specifically has a documentation for pre-out connections and connecting external amplifiers while my model doesn't.   If not, I could just get an O2 Dac or a Modi 2 uber? Unless there's something better in that price range.  I'm still waiting for the Polaris to ship though.

What you need is a line-level analog out, which is essentially what the record out typically is. That should also mean that the volume will not be variable, so you will use the polaris volume control for headphone listening. If you decide a new dac is in order, at that price I would definitely go with the modi 2 uber over the Odac. Let us know how it turns out.

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,488 of 1,838
You can also use the headphone jack if the above does not work.
Get a headphone jack (whatever is the size) to RCA cable and connect to Polaris input. You can use both the volume control of your receiver and the Polaris.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,489 of 1,838
You can also use the headphone jack if the above does not work.
Get a headphone jack (whatever is the size) to RCA cable and connect to Polaris input. You can use both the volume control of your receiver and the Polaris.

Wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of a stand alone hp amp though, seeing as how this would pass the signal through the headphone amp of the receiver, including all the attendant circuitry and switches? I assumed the point was to upgrade from that.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,490 of 1,838
Wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of a stand alone hp amp though, seeing as how this would pass the signal through the headphone amp of the receiver, including all the attendant circuitry and switches? I assumed the point was to upgrade from that.

It will depend on the headphone your using. I think high impedance headphones will sound better even if the headphone amp is connected to headphone jack of a receiver rather than directly connecting the can to the receiver. Do both ways and hear which is better.

This is just a temporary solution until you can get a stand alone DAC or if the record out of your receiver will not work.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,491 of 1,838
Question: 

So the gains are there for varying headphones "from IEMs to planars" i have planars 400i 35ohm i think, ive found Low G to be great and sufficent so far i was wondering if that was optimal and if it should be on Med G for planars, i dont understand how it works really so i just wanted to ask you guys, im sure theres enough power for them even on LowG just wanted to speak up. I have to play at a lower volume due to tinnitus and its usually at or just above 9o'clock on dial, 9 seems more than loud enough even on LowG so im guessing MedG would make me use dial lower than 9, i read that its suggested to stay at 9 or above due to possible imbalance and i guess it works out that i play at 9 mostly.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,492 of 1,838
  Question: 

So the gains are there for varying headphones "from IEMs to planars" i have planars 400i 35ohm i think, ive found Low G to be great and sufficent so far i was wondering if that was optimal and if it should be on Med G for planars, i dont understand how it works really so i just wanted to ask you guys, im sure theres enough power for them even on LowG just wanted to speak up. I have to play at a lower volume due to tinnitus and its usually at or just above 9o'clock on dial, 9 seems more than loud enough even on LowG so im guessing MedG would make me use dial lower than 9.

It's always best to use the lowest gain necessary. Doing so ensures the best possible noise floor. Setting higher gain and lower volume will unnecessary increase background noise.

In other words, only switch to high gain when you're unable to reach desired volume at low gain.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,493 of 1,838

It will depend on the headphone your using. I think high impedance headphones will sound better even if the headphone amp is connected to headphone jack of a receiver rather than directly connecting the can to the receiver. Do both ways and hear which is better.

This is just a temporary solution until you can get a stand alone DAC or if the record out of your receiver will not work.

Yes definitely looking for an upgrade.  I have Fostex TH-X00 and they need a Zero impedance output but I like that the Polaris has flexibility in the case that I buy a higher impedance headphone.   That's why the Receiver is not a good amp for the Fostex.  

For the record out, I need a line-level analogue out and the RCA would go from that to the Polaris?  Then what connects the line-level to the receiver? RCA to --?  Is that what FiiO TAISHAN-D03K is?

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,494 of 1,838
[COLOR=222222]It's always best to use the lowest gain necessary. Doing so ensures the best possible noise floor. Setting higher gain and lower volume will unnecessary increase background noise.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]In other words, only switch to high gain when you're unable to reach desired volume at low gain.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR]

This. In fact, you didn't mention the setting for input attenuation you are using, but i would try the A mode, if you're not already, to see if you can get a little higher on the volume knob to avoid potential channel imbalance.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #1,495 of 1,838
This. In fact, you didn't mention the setting for input attenuation you are using, but i would try the A mode, if you're not already, to see if you can get a little higher on the volume knob to avoid potential channel imbalance.

i use the WO/AM after reading that it does something to treble and i didnt want my sound changed any really but i will try with the Att on :)

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,496 of 1,838
Yes definitely looking for an upgrade.  I have Fostex TH-X00 and they need a Zero impedance output but I like that the Polaris has flexibility in the case that I buy a higher impedance headphone.   That's why the Receiver is not a good amp for the Fostex.  

For the record out, I need a line-level analogue out and the RCA would go from that to the Polaris?  Then what connects the line-level to the receiver? RCA to --?  Is that what FiiO
[COLOR=1A5888] [/COLOR]TAISHAN-D03K is?

The record out is an analog line level out, thus you just plug one end of each rca cable (one right, one left, usually red and white) into each of the bottom rca outs (labeled md/cd-r out in the audio out section on the back panel just right of the coaxial in) and the other ends into the corresponding input jacks on the polaris. You need nothing else. The line outs on the polaris are only used if you wanted to use the polaris as a preamp to another device, presumably a power amp. You won't be using them given your current setup, as a receiver by definition already contains a preamp circuit. The fiio is essentially a small cheap dac, converting s/pdif (always a digital signal and only one plug) to right and left rca (always analog). Since you are using the dac in the receiver, the signal has already been converted before it exits via the record outs.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,497 of 1,838
i use the WO/AM after reading that it does something to treble and i didnt want my sound changed any really but i will try with the Att on :)

I am curious where you read that, as maybe I should take a second look at my settings. Don't want to change anything I'm not intending to, don't ya know.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,498 of 1,838
The record out is an analog line level out, thus you just plug one end of each rca cable (one right, one left, usually red and white) into each of the bottom rca outs (labeled md/cd-r out in the audio out section on the back panel just right of the coaxial in) and the other ends into the corresponding input jacks on the polaris. You need nothing else. The line outs on the polaris are only used if you wanted to use the polaris as a preamp to another device, presumably a power amp. You won't be using them given your current setup, as a receiver by definition already contains a preamp circuit. The fiio is essentially a small cheap dac, converting s/pdif (always a digital signal and only one plug) to right and left rca (always analog). Since you are using the dac in the receiver, the signal has already been converted before it exits via the record outs.

Oh I get it.  Great explanation thanks.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  I'm not super hopeful it will work but I am very excited!    

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,499 of 1,838

Oh I get it.  Great explanation thanks.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  I'm not super hopeful it will work but I am very excited!    

One thing to consider, on most receivers after a certain time digital signals from the input are not passed to the analog outputs. This is done to prevent copying digital material. Your optical signals, or coax, may not (likely will not) be available from the MD or VCR outputs.

I have a similar situation using a Denon 3808. I use an FM transmitter. This is equivalent to what is required to drive the analog inputs on the Polaris. Using the recording output I can only get analog inputs to output from the recording out jacks. I have to use the main channel line outs to get all inputs to produce signal to the transmitter. The downside is that only the front left and right channels go to the transmitter. Multi channel inputs sound pretty bad. I do not see any true line outputs on the Yamaha.. So, if you can get analog out of your source to one of the analog inputs on the receiver, you will be fine using one of the record outputs. Otherwise, you will be unable to get the signal out to the Polaris.

You would not use the subwoofer output at all for driving the Polaris. It is a mono signal (depending on the receiver and settings, a combination of the low frequencies from all channels) and is crossed over to only allow low frequencies to be output. Too bad, because this output will be active for all input signals. It is the only output on your machine that is a real preamp output.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,500 of 1,838

One thing to consider, on most receivers after a certain time digital signals from the input are not passed to the analog outputs. This is done to prevent copying digital material. Your optical signals, or coax, may not (likely will not) be available from the MD or VCR outputs.

I have a similar situation using a Denon 3808. I use an FM transmitter. This is equivalent to what is required to drive the analog inputs on the Polaris. Using the recording output I can only get analog inputs to output from the recording out jacks. I have to use the main channel line outs to get all inputs to produce signal to the transmitter. The downside is that only the front left and right channels go to the transmitter. Multi channel inputs sound pretty bad. I do not see any true line outputs on the Yamaha.. So, if you can get analog out of your source to one of the analog inputs on the receiver, you will be fine using one of the record outputs. Otherwise, you will be unable to get the signal out to the Polaris.

You would not use the subwoofer output at all for driving the Polaris. It is a mono signal (depending on the receiver and settings, a combination of the low frequencies from all channels) and is crossed over to only allow low frequencies to be output. Too bad, because this output will be active for all input signals. It is the only output on your machine that is a real preamp output.

Good info thanks.  Doesn't sound promising though!  I'll have it Monday so we'll see. I better start looking for a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back