NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Aug 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #857 of 974
I’ve owned the fostex th610 for about two years now. I’ve been very hot and cold with them, my other head phones are the ER4XR Etymotic IEMs and Audio Technica AD900. Run through iPhone XS Max and Spotify.

I’ve always felt two things about these head phones negatively - separation (in electronic music or heavily produced pop it starts to sound quite congested) and resolving details are not as good as the etymotics and female vocals feel too recessed sometimes (eg diana krall/ Taylor swift) but not others (eg winterplay) Also puts electric guitar solos slightly in the background rather than rocking them upfront.

The thing I’ve liked about them - detailed bass, great acoustic guitar and male vocals. For closed headphones they have reasonably good staging.

They do really well with ‘classic analog rock’ - rhythm guitar (electric or acoustic), drum (kick drums are quite a treat) and cymbals, male vocals. It has a very rock concert ‘pa system’ playback presentation, so don’t expect clinical.

I’ve enjoyed listening to foo fighters, three piece jazz bands (winterplay comes to mind), Gomez.

So maybe that’s what these phones are all about - classic analog rock?

I’m still hot and cold on these ($600 feels like a no mans land of head phones in some ways?). For those with higher end phones, what was ‘next level’ for you to these headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #858 of 974
I’ve owned the fostex th610 for about two years now. I’ve been very hot and cold with them, my other head phones are the ER4XR Etymotic IEMs and Audio Technica AD900. Run through iPhone XS Max and Spotify.

I’ve always felt two things about these head phones negatively - separation (in electronic music or heavily produced pop it starts to sound quite congested) and resolving details are not as good as the etymotics and female vocals feel too recessed sometimes (eg diana krall/ Taylor swift) but not others (eg winterplay) Also puts electric guitar solos slightly in the background rather than rocking them upfront.

The thing I’ve liked about them - detailed bass, great acoustic guitar and male vocals. For closed headphones they have reasonably good staging.

They do really well with ‘classic analog rock’ - rhythm guitar (electric or acoustic), drum (kick drums are quite a treat) and cymbals, male vocals. It has a very rock concert ‘pa system’ playback presentation, so don’t expect clinical.

I’ve enjoyed listening to foo fighters, three piece jazz bands (winterplay comes to mind), Gomez.

I’m still hot and cold on these ($600 feels like a no mans land of head phones in some ways?). For those with higher end phones, what was ‘next level’ for you to these headphones.

I'm not sure there is a "next level' since the TH-600/610/900 and all the MassDrop/Emu variations are more of a slightly different tuning/refinement of the Fostex house sound IMO. I'd suggest something totally different if you don't own other headphones like a Senn HD6 series, Beyer DT series or even a Grado

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #859 of 974
Finally closed out my home and office headphone.....home, aeon flow open ( got it used, ordered new pads , thing is back to life) if not for the good deal on the unit i would have gone for a bnew aeon flow closed back. Money saved went to TH610, bnew old stock at around 399 USD here in Manila. This is definitely U shaped, im liking it so far for office use.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #860 of 974

Sony Z1R

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #861 of 974
Would you guys consider it is a good choice of the first planar magnetic headphone? Or save some money and go for Audeze? Also, I read the polarity of cables compared with Senns. So the upgrade cable cannot be shared?

I own Senns HD600 and wish to have something warmer in sound. I personally don’t prefer China brands.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #862 of 974
Just bought a demo set of these tonight. Hopefully the store still has them in the morning and they make their way to me.

I am thinking pads early on. Maybe Lawton, if I am not thrilled with them.

Deal is done and they are on the way. Really looking forward to them. I almost bought the Denon D7200's several times over the years.

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #864 of 974
Dec 26, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #865 of 974
Jan 4, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #866 of 974
Got my 610's yesterday. I am really enjoying the sound. I don't recall drums ever being so prominent, but I guess that's what a bassy headphone does. I am enjoying it. Vocals are not recessed at all, which is great for me.

Right now I am going Sony DAP to SMSL SU-8 (DAC) to SMSL SP200 (amp). I think these are going to be even more fun with the Liquid Spark, Vali 2 and especially the Burson Fun. I wanted to start with my most neutral amp and see what I am dealing with.

Nice looking headphones although the fit is very loose. And I have a Big noggin.

Last night I started with some new jazz as ALAC files. Sounded very clean and sharp. I was a little surprised. Drums were noticeable. Went to Counting Crows to Whitesnake to Crash Kings. Very "drummy". A word I have never used before. But the vocals were also prominent. VERY different from my Grado's, Beyer's and Koss Electrostatics. A very nice change of perspective.

I will play with these for quite a while before deciding on any Lawton mods. Thinking about pads just for a tighter fit at this point, but everything is very comfortable right now.

Still in the shiny new toy phase at this point, but I am pretty happy with these. Also, the fact that I got these demo's at half price reduced my expectations.

Shane D

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #867 of 974
Anybody else using these? A really quiet thread. Anyone want to list the amps they are using?
So far I have been using:
SMSL SP200
Cavalli Liquid Spark
XDuoo TA-20
And they all sound pretty good.

Anybody done the Lawton mods?

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #868 of 974
Here is mine, modded cables to accept mmx, balanced on the AK Kann.
IMG_1706.jpg

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #869 of 974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back