NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Dec 26, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #827 of 974
Forza audio works would be my suggestion.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #828 of 974
That's why I was asking about the Ebony as it's supposed to have the best mids and highs of the x00 line. My one question is does it offer more wow than than TH-610 because looking at the fr graph for it shows good extension with elevated sub-bass and I think that means it should have good thump. Overall, I just want someone that's listened to both to provide some clarification so that I can make a better decision of either getting the Ebony or sticking with the TH-610. Which is a great headphone but as you say the bass lacks that wow though there is plenty of it.

I own both the Ebony and Purpleheart, and I can wholeheartedly say that if you want bass, Purpleheart is where it's at. I almost think it has maybe too much bass (or at least my individual unit), but it may be just right for you. The Ebony is much more refined in that regard, and although I haven't heard the 610 yet, I have a feeling they sound somewhat similar in terms of FR, maybe with the Ebony having less detail.

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #829 of 974
I own both the Ebony and Purpleheart, and I can wholeheartedly say that if you want bass, Purpleheart is where it's at. I almost think it has maybe too much bass (or at least my individual unit), but it may be just right for you. The Ebony is much more refined in that regard, and although I haven't heard the 610 yet, I have a feeling they sound somewhat similar in terms of FR, maybe with the Ebony having less detail.
Thanks for that explanation, do you find the bass on the Purpleheart to be bloated? Often when reading or watching reviews of them that's what I hear and also that the bass lacks speed and extension. The other reason that I was asking about the Ebony in comparison to the TH-610 is that it has the best extension of the x00 models and I like that part of the TH-610 it just doesn't feel like it hits hard enough. I have a pair of Master & Dynamic MH30s which I use as a portable set and I find them to fit harder than my TH-610 though obviously they lack the detail. To go further amount of bass on the TH-610 isn't the issue for me it's more the impact of the bass itself feels to polite or lacking for my taste. Would you say that the Ebony has a bass with strong impact?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #830 of 974
Quick update on my TH610's. Earlier I posted that I had EQ'd them and that really opened them up - and it did. Well, I am now using them without EQ and they sound great - that is the important part of this post, the rest is how I got there for those who are still in the "learning" phase.

What effected the sound for me was the way I was set up. I was using my Xonar Essence STX into my Bellari amp. When I switch to ASIO drivers, which apparently bypass everything in the ASUS except the DAC, the headphones sounded much clearer - the veil was gone. So something with the way the other drivers interact keeps both devices in the loop effected the sound? I don't know. But with the ASIO drivers I can no longer control my volume with my keyboard, I have to do it on the amp itself. So apparently all the "digital" control from the ASUS gets bypassed.

So another step in the journey. I really like these headphones. I'm just shocked at how much of an impact the set up had on the final sound. Probably not a surprise to those in the "know", but it was a revelation for me. I also wanted to post this because I don't want to discourage folks from purchasing these headphones. I know one gentleman in this thread didn't like EQ and therefore would likely rule out the TH610's. Don't, at least not based on my earlier post.

A side note, I order a Fostex HP-A4BL amp. Was suppose to be here on Wednesday. Got notice today that the order was canceled. Don't know why, it had already shipped. I have an inquiry as to why, we'll see. But I really want to try balanced in a desktop - so I guess it is back to the drawing board. Not really interested in Schiit products so I am not sure where to go from here. And all the Chinese stuff is kinda strange from an ordering perspective.

The saga continues.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #831 of 974
Quick update on my TH610's. Earlier I posted that I had EQ'd them and that really opened them up - and it did. Well, I am now using them without EQ and they sound great - that is the important part of this post, the rest is how I got there for those who are still in the "learning" phase.

What effected the sound for me was the way I was set up. I was using my Xonar Essence STX into my Bellari amp. When I switch to ASIO drivers, which apparently bypass everything in the ASUS except the DAC, the headphones sounded much clearer - the veil was gone. So something with the way the other drivers interact keeps both devices in the loop effected the sound? I don't know. But with the ASIO drivers I can no longer control my volume with my keyboard, I have to do it on the amp itself. So apparently all the "digital" control from the ASUS gets bypassed.

So another step in the journey. I really like these headphones. I'm just shocked at how much of an impact the set up had on the final sound. Probably not a surprise to those in the "know", but it was a revelation for me. I also wanted to post this because I don't want to discourage folks from purchasing these headphones. I know one gentleman in this thread didn't like EQ and therefore would likely rule out the TH610's. Don't, at least not based on my earlier post.

A side note, I order a Fostex HP-A4BL amp. Was suppose to be here on Wednesday. Got notice today that the order was canceled. Don't know why, it had already shipped. I have an inquiry as to why, we'll see. But I really want to try balanced in a desktop - so I guess it is back to the drawing board. Not really interested in Schiit products so I am not sure where to go from here. And all the Chinese stuff is kinda strange from an ordering perspective.

The saga continues.

Sorry to hear about that.

Funny timing though, I’m about to post mine on the classifieds. I’ve only had it for a couple months. Still have the original receipt and box, etc.

This amp is maxing out just to feed my ether 2 at a reasonable listening level.

Anyways, pm me if interested!

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #833 of 974
If any one of you uses Apple Music/iTunes, this EQ setting really opens up the mids nicely, while adding a bit more bass impact and decreasing upper treble slightly resulting in a more relaxed and clearer sounding headphone. I don't usually like using EQ but TH-610 respond really well to EQ so maybe it's worth using it this time.

Ekran Resmi 2019-01-05 11.19.40.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #834 of 974
So after reading this thread I decided to pick one up from Amazon. I figured the refined sound signature would be better to my ears than the X00's sound. I'll find out in a few weeks once it all gets to where I live. Either way, I think it will be a significant upgrade from my current HD6XX.

One potential issue is that this headphone is going to end up almost exclusively used at my desk. For that purpose, the short cable of the HD6XX is perfect. Are there any available third-party cables for the TH610 that are relatively short and don't cost a fortune? Alternately, can I just have a custom cable compatible with the Sennheiser plug, just with reversed polarity?

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #835 of 974
So after reading this thread I decided to pick one up from Amazon. I figured the refined sound signature would be better to my ears than the X00's sound. I'll find out in a few weeks once it all gets to where I live. Either way, I think it will be a significant upgrade from my current HD6XX.

One potential issue is that this headphone is going to end up almost exclusively used at my desk. For that purpose, the short cable of the HD6XX is perfect. Are there any available third-party cables for the TH610 that are relatively short and don't cost a fortune? Alternately, can I just have a custom cable compatible with the Sennheiser plug, just with reversed polarity?

Periapt - 5ft Cable - balanced or SE - $89-$99.

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #836 of 974
Hello everyone, just want to get an idea of the TH610. how do these headphones stand up against lets say DT1990 Pro or B&O H6 (2nd Gen) ?
i've owned a TH900mk2 in the past but its been a long time and ive forgotten what they sounded like :frowning2: so any comparison to the ones i've mentioned before would be more appreciated. :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #837 of 974
Did you ever end up purchasing these Yaxi pads? I just ordered the leather version for my TH610. Once I receive them, I'll give my impressions. I was able to pad roll with my old TH-x00, but I've noticed the TH610 are way more fussy in regard to pad swaps. Even the much recommended Eikon pads neutered the bass and mids enough to ruin the sound. Curse my above average sized ears!

Thinking on getting a pair of the Alcantara for the TH600, but will wait later in the year...maybe our Cdn dollar will be better
Have a pair for my Sennheiser HD25, very comfortable.

New Product Offer:
Free Shipping Worldwide
Use Discount Code:
YAXI comfort

https://www.yaxi.jp/shop-for-oversea/

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #838 of 974
Did you ever end up purchasing these Yaxi pads? I just ordered the leather version for my TH610. Once I receive them, I'll give my impressions. I was able to pad roll with my old TH-x00, but I've noticed the TH610 are way more fussy in regard to pad swaps. Even the much recommended Eikon pads neutered the bass and mids enough to ruin the sound. Curse my above average sized ears!

No I have not bought them.
I use the spare cash in buying a TH-X00 Purpleheart. Even than, I took the purpleheart housing and temporary put them on the Fostex TH500RP..
I picked up some other pads to play around but never did...

Do post if the Yaxi pads does help...

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #839 of 974
Nice! I used to own the Mahogany TH-x00, but sold them to upgrade to ZMF Atticus. With the Mahogany, I cut out the stock pad attenuation rings and put those on some ZMF Ori pads. That worked very well...but on the TH610, there seems to be a larger loss in the bass when pad rolling, attenuation rings added or not.

I'll keep you posted on the Yaxi pads.

Oh, I am so interested in how this goes against the TH-X00. I would have to bet it'll be slightly more expensive if it sounds the same. Love the matte, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back