NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #811 of 974
I just watched/read the TH-909 review over at Minidisc and Lachlan had the following to say about the TH-610's.

"Personally speaking, the TH610 is probably my favourite closed headphone on the planet. Even before I began working at Minidisc, I would often come into the store to demo the TH610 for hours. Its deep, cavernous bass brings out everything from the rich resonance of piano chords to the skull shaking bass of electronic synthesisers. The dry upper-midrange brings incredible much beautiful texture to female vocals and wind instruments. The TH610 is a headphone that I enthusiastically gush about to customers and encourage them to try - especially if they are new to higher end headphones. It’s both smooth and fun enough for pop music, and intimately rich for jazz and acoustic. For the money (and even disregarding the price), I think the TH610 is a powerfully emotional listen. I could go on!"

Sounds like a sweet can!

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #813 of 974
My new TH610's arrived last night. Early impressions are good, we'll see how it goes. Having used my Q701 for a number of years this is quite the departure, which really was part of the reason I chose the TH610. Looking forward to using them this weekend.

I am picking up a little bit of sibilance in the highs. Seems recording dependent though.

Can anyone relate these to the Meze 99's. How do they compare?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #814 of 974
Spent a little time with new headphones tonight.

Interesting. So different from my AKG Q 701's. Short of it - overall I like them and will likely be keeping them.

Just so you know the context, my equipment includes:
Gaming PC I built myself with an ASUS SONAR Essence STX
Bellari Class A Amplifier - HA540 with a 12 AX7 tube (I have a 5751, I may throw it in and see what it does at some point). I have tubes because I also "play" guitar so I have tubes for my guitar amps.
Q701's
and, obviously TH610.

1. The headphones do exert some pressure on my head - sides. They are a little uncomfortable but they are brand new so I think they will conform to my head a bit over time. Overall not bad, but not as comfortable as the Q701's. FYI- the Q's headband initially was pretty uncomfortable - the infamous bumpy headband. But not any more. So again, I think as time goes on the TH-610's will conform to my head.

2. They are obviously much more full sounding than the Q's, which is why I got them. I wasn't after neutral or analytical, I was looking for a closed backed headphone that was a bit of fun. It is fair to say the TH610's got that covered.

3. But I do find the TH610's a bit congested. There is a decent soundstage for a closed back but the presentation needs some space, some room to breathe. I messed around with some presets that are built into Music Bee. Started with Acoustic and messed with some sliders - just as a quick experiment - it let them breathe much more in my opinion. So I think a good EQ will help quite a bit.

I downloaded Equalizer APO because I want to start trying to setup some custom EQ's. I know that some frown upon it, but it is hard to ignore how it can help adjust a headphone, especially since everybody is going to have different equipment in the sound-chain.

In any case, I played a good bit of music (FLAC files) - Peter Gabriel, Black Sabbath, Supertramp, Tom Petty, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Rammstein, Robben Ford - a pretty good cross section of my music. I think these headphones have a lot of potential.

So

Any recommendations on cables or ear pads would be cool. Or people can feel free to just comment. Oh - and my serial number is 779.

Now back to the earphones. I believe I will add some Bourbon and see how that affects the sound signature.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #815 of 974
Spent a little time with new headphones tonight.

Interesting. So different from my AKG Q 701's. Short of it - overall I like them and will likely be keeping them.

Just so you know the context, my equipment includes:
Gaming PC I built myself with an ASUS SONAR Essence STX
Bellari Class A Amplifier - HA540 with a 12 AX7 tube (I have a 5751, I may throw it in and see what it does at some point). I have tubes because I also "play" guitar so I have tubes for my guitar amps.
Q701's
and, obviously TH610.

1. The headphones do exert some pressure on my head - sides. They are a little uncomfortable but they are brand new so I think they will conform to my head a bit over time. Overall not bad, but not as comfortable as the Q701's. FYI- the Q's headband initially was pretty uncomfortable - the infamous bumpy headband. But not any more. So again, I think as time goes on the TH-610's will conform to my head.

2. They are obviously much more full sounding than the Q's, which is why I got them. I wasn't after neutral or analytical, I was looking for a closed backed headphone that was a bit of fun. It is fair to say the TH610's got that covered.

3. But I do find the TH610's a bit congested. There is a decent soundstage for a closed back but the presentation needs some space, some room to breathe. I messed around with some presets that are built into Music Bee. Started with Acoustic and messed with some sliders - just as a quick experiment - it let them breathe much more in my opinion. So I think a good EQ will help quite a bit.

I downloaded Equalizer APO because I want to start trying to setup some custom EQ's. I know that some frown upon it, but it is hard to ignore how it can help adjust a headphone, especially since everybody is going to have different equipment in the sound-chain.

In any case, I played a good bit of music (FLAC files) - Peter Gabriel, Black Sabbath, Supertramp, Tom Petty, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Rammstein, Robben Ford - a pretty good cross section of my music. I think these headphones have a lot of potential.

So

Any recommendations on cables or ear pads would be cool. Or people can feel free to just comment. Oh - and my serial number is 779.

Now back to the earphones. I believe I will add some Bourbon and see how that affects the sound signature.

Awesome. I also have a pair of 610s and akg 7XX reds in my arsenal. While I use my 7xx for gaming because of the decent soundstage and comfort, I have found the 610s to be quite pleasant for long listening sessions while I'm at work.

It's good to hear about new owners. Cheers.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #816 of 974
Another update, because I know everyone is waiting with bated breathe. The more I listen the less I feel the need to EQ. Ya, probably brain burn in, or some other analytical rationalization. I think the real benefit of the EQ was more associated with increased volume then the actual EQ itself.

In any case, if any one is interested I am really glad I bought these headphones. They can be bright in the treble sometimes, but it is very dependent on the quality of the recording and the volume you listen at. They can also be a bit "close", mostly on older mid-centric recordings. But overall they really sound great. Pretty good balance nice detail. I was listening to Spanish Fly by Van Halen and you could hear the string buzz and even hear his arm rubbing on the top of the guitar while he played.

Build quality is great as far as I can tell. Wood grain is not that that pronounced on my unit, but I really don't care - some may. They are smaller than I was expecting, which is nice. I am also finding comfort to be very nice after initially feeling some pressure. I would like a smaller cable. I know that the Sennheiser cables fit, but I'm not really sure what will work well with these cans.

For $499 (and I had $30 built up on my Amazon card), so $469 same day delivery, no tax - these were a steal.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #817 of 974
I recently purchased a pair of Fostex TH610’s because I was looking for a closed backed headphone to complement my AKG Q701’s. I looked at a number of options, including the Beyerdynamic DT 1770’s, which I almost purchased instead. But given the leaner more analytical sound of the Q701’s, I wanted something that would distinguish itself more clearly. Since most discussions regarding the DT1770’s indicate that they are a professional mixing headphone, i.e., a more analytical headphone, I felt the TH610’s would be a better option for me. So it was not really a question of better as much as better for my use case, which was a headphone more geared toward listening than analytics.

I am not a long-time audiophile in the strictest sense of the word, but I have been around music my whole life and feel confident in my ability to assess the characteristics of a sound signature. I also play guitar and have done my share of tone chasing and tube rolling with various amplifiers.

I currently own a ONKYO DP-X1, SONY MDR-EX1000 (Japanese) earbuds, Q701’s, and a Bellari HA 540 Class A headphone amplifier. I have also built my own gaming PC’s and have hung onto a ASUS Essence STX amp/dac soundcard, which generally finds its way into the mix. So my stuff is not top shelf, but I have some fairly good equipment. I wouldn’t mind trying a solid state amp/dac combo that people feel would be an improvement over the ASUS– I guess that can be my next purchase.

The Bellari is an excellent amplifier that has a 12AX7 tube providing the mojo. I have a 5751 I may try at some point, but since the Bellari already imparts just a hair of warmth compared to the ASUS, the 12AX7 is probably a better match if clarity is your goal. Of course, you can tube roll some NOS variants, but, having done that in the past with guitar amps, I don’t feel compelled to go there in this use case.

So, all this background is intended to put my comments in context. And to the point – the TH610’s are wonderful headphones, just wonderful. However, they do need to be EQ’d to realize their full potential. Oddly, I actually found that the less than complimentary review by “What Hi Fi”, despite being quite negative, did provide a reasonably accurate assessment - up to a point. The point I think they nail is that the TH610’s “need more clarity across the range”. I also think the treble can be a bit bright, however, I would not describe it as “brittle” as that review did. The treble does stand out a bit (from the mids), but the degree to which is it does so is quite dependent on the recordings.

So than why would I say they are wonderful? Because the headphones sound extraordinary if you apply an EQ adjustment. I suppose there are some who might say that it should not be necessary, personally, I think that is naive. Some of the most well-regarded headphones in the world are aided by a bit of an EQ tweak. Furthermore, the quality of recordings, equipment in the sound-chain, your ears, and your preferences all mean that assuming there is a single sound signature that works for everyone in all situations is just silly.

What I found when I initially listened to the TH610’s was that they sounded crowded to me. The overall sound signature was congested and tended toward the darker side of the frequency spectrum, apart from a little bit of “sibilance” in the treble. It is the mids that create the lack of clarity discussed in the “What Hi Fi” article and the sense of crowding that I am describing.

However, if one uses the Harmon Target Curve as a basis of understanding why (and Innerfidelity’s frequency response curve for the TH610), you can see that the headphone sound signature tends to hang on to the bass frequencies a bit too long, with the mid range showing a dip that exacerbates the veiled congestion the head phone seems to have. Also, there are some spikes in the upper treble that explain why there is some sibilance in the sound signature.

I set about, using Excel, to map the headphone, and the Harmon curve to see what a compensation curve might look like. Using that as basis for setting up a custom EQ, along with a couple of tweaks to taste, I was amazed at how good these headphones sounded. Quite frankly, the difference was night and day. With a custom EQ in place these headphones sound incredible. They open up amazingly well with a noticeable increase in clarity, very noticeable. It’s almost as if you were taking a stack of cards and spreading them out on a table with some space in between. The sound signature just comes alive with improved sound stage and imaging. And despite the openness and breadth they never lose the richness and cohesiveness of the sound signature. Just a wonderfully musical experience. Amazing for a closed backed headphone.

And this exercise was not just a “make a curve, oh it sounds better” one off. I have been experimenting with these headphones for about two weeks now. Creating curves, deleting curves, applying subtle changes and flipping between them. I also listened to a wide variety of music, which was very helpful in making adjustments. As I stated earlier, not all recordings are equal and different recordings have a flavor or character all their own. So, for example, listening to In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel is a very different experience then listening to Unstoppable Momentum by Joe Satriani – regardless of what headphone you are using. The former is an inherently bright, prone to sibilance recording, while Satriani’s material comes off as much more mid-centric and relatively flat in its delivery. In each case the song chosen accentuated and drew attention to different aspects of the sound signature, really aiding in the development of the “final” curve. Likewise, a song like Cannonball by Supertramp is a very well recorded and complex song that pretty much covers the entire musical sound spectrum – a spectacular listen with these headphones by the way.

Ironically the “What Hi-Fi” review speaks to the headphones looking much better than they sound. Ironic because, with a custom curve in place, they sound exactly the way they look. Deep and rich, and very far from brittle. I would not describe them as fun either, because that moniker often indicates a “U” shaped sound signature. As adjusted they sound full without sounding bloated. The highs provide a spritely ring without being sharp, thin or piercing. Quite frankly, they are exactly what I was hoping for; a nicely balanced, non-analytical sound signature that remains richly detailed and inviting. Quite simply they make listening to music what it is intended to be – a very visceral enjoyable experience. If a well-made firm leather chair was a set of headphones, it would be a pair TH610’s.

This is the first time I have ever tried to systematically adjust the sound signature of a headphone. Having now tried it, I don’t know how anyone would not seek to pursue the optimum setting for a given set of headphones – the results have been a revelation for me. And when one considers that people physically alter their top of the line HD 800’s to combat the shortcomings of their sound signature, why would anyone not consider an EQ adjustment equally valid.

I will not recommend the TH610’s to anyone since I really cannot say what you will or will not like. But I will say that all headphones have their shortcomings as do recordings, equipment, and an individual’s ability to hear sound. But I am very pleased with the TH610’s, both in build quality and sound – I would not have kept them otherwise. They are a wonderful musical experience.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #818 of 974
I recently purchased a pair of Fostex TH610’s because I was looking for a closed backed headphone to complement my AKG Q701’s. I looked at a number of options, including the Beyerdynamic DT 1770’s, which I almost purchased instead. But given the leaner more analytical sound of the Q701’s, I wanted something that would distinguish itself more clearly. Since most discussions regarding the DT1770’s indicate that they are a professional mixing headphone, i.e., a more analytical headphone, I felt the TH610’s would be a better option for me. So it was not really a question of better as much as better for my use case, which was a headphone more geared toward listening than analytics.

I am not a long-time audiophile in the strictest sense of the word, but I have been around music my whole life and feel confident in my ability to assess the characteristics of a sound signature. I also play guitar and have done my share of tone chasing and tube rolling with various amplifiers.

I currently own a ONKYO DP-X1, SONY MDR-EX1000 (Japanese) earbuds, Q701’s, and a Bellari HA 540 Class A headphone amplifier. I have also built my own gaming PC’s and have hung onto a ASUS Essence STX amp/dac soundcard, which generally finds its way into the mix. So my stuff is not top shelf, but I have some fairly good equipment. I wouldn’t mind trying a solid state amp/dac combo that people feel would be an improvement over the ASUS– I guess that can be my next purchase.

The Bellari is an excellent amplifier that has a 12AX7 tube providing the mojo. I have a 5751 I may try at some point, but since the Bellari already imparts just a hair of warmth compared to the ASUS, the 12AX7 is probably a better match if clarity is your goal. Of course, you can tube roll some NOS variants, but, having done that in the past with guitar amps, I don’t feel compelled to go there in this use case.

So, all this background is intended to put my comments in context. And to the point – the TH610’s are wonderful headphones, just wonderful. However, they do need to be EQ’d to realize their full potential. Oddly, I actually found that the less than complimentary review by “What Hi Fi”, despite being quite negative, did provide a reasonably accurate assessment - up to a point. The point I think they nail is that the TH610’s “need more clarity across the range”. I also think the treble can be a bit bright, however, I would not describe it as “brittle” as that review did. The treble does stand out a bit (from the mids), but the degree to which is it does so is quite dependent on the recordings.

So than why would I say they are wonderful? Because the headphones sound extraordinary if you apply an EQ adjustment. I suppose there are some who might say that it should not be necessary, personally, I think that is naive. Some of the most well-regarded headphones in the world are aided by a bit of an EQ tweak. Furthermore, the quality of recordings, equipment in the sound-chain, your ears, and your preferences all mean that assuming there is a single sound signature that works for everyone in all situations is just silly.

What I found when I initially listened to the TH610’s was that they sounded crowded to me. The overall sound signature was congested and tended toward the darker side of the frequency spectrum, apart from a little bit of “sibilance” in the treble. It is the mids that create the lack of clarity discussed in the “What Hi Fi” article and the sense of crowding that I am describing.

However, if one uses the Harmon Target Curve as a basis of understanding why (and Innerfidelity’s frequency response curve for the TH610), you can see that the headphone sound signature tends to hang on to the bass frequencies a bit too long, with the mid range showing a dip that exacerbates the veiled congestion the head phone seems to have. Also, there are some spikes in the upper treble that explain why there is some sibilance in the sound signature.

I set about, using Excel, to map the headphone, and the Harmon curve to see what a compensation curve might look like. Using that as basis for setting up a custom EQ, along with a couple of tweaks to taste, I was amazed at how good these headphones sounded. Quite frankly, the difference was night and day. With a custom EQ in place these headphones sound incredible. They open up amazingly well with a noticeable increase in clarity, very noticeable. It’s almost as if you were taking a stack of cards and spreading them out on a table with some space in between. The sound signature just comes alive with improved sound stage and imaging. And despite the openness and breadth they never lose the richness and cohesiveness of the sound signature. Just a wonderfully musical experience. Amazing for a closed backed headphone.

And this exercise was not just a “make a curve, oh it sounds better” one off. I have been experimenting with these headphones for about two weeks now. Creating curves, deleting curves, applying subtle changes and flipping between them. I also listened to a wide variety of music, which was very helpful in making adjustments. As I stated earlier, not all recordings are equal and different recordings have a flavor or character all their own. So, for example, listening to In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel is a very different experience then listening to Unstoppable Momentum by Joe Satriani – regardless of what headphone you are using. The former is an inherently bright, prone to sibilance recording, while Satriani’s material comes off as much more mid-centric and relatively flat in its delivery. In each case the song chosen accentuated and drew attention to different aspects of the sound signature, really aiding in the development of the “final” curve. Likewise, a song like Cannonball by Supertramp is a very well recorded and complex song that pretty much covers the entire musical sound spectrum – a spectacular listen with these headphones by the way.

Ironically the “What Hi-Fi” review speaks to the headphones looking much better than they sound. Ironic because, with a custom curve in place, they sound exactly the way they look. Deep and rich, and very far from brittle. I would not describe them as fun either, because that moniker often indicates a “U” shaped sound signature. As adjusted they sound full without sounding bloated. The highs provide a spritely ring without being sharp, thin or piercing. Quite frankly, they are exactly what I was hoping for; a nicely balanced, non-analytical sound signature that remains richly detailed and inviting. Quite simply they make listening to music what it is intended to be – a very visceral enjoyable experience. If a well-made firm leather chair was a set of headphones, it would be a pair TH610’s.

This is the first time I have ever tried to systematically adjust the sound signature of a headphone. Having now tried it, I don’t know how anyone would not seek to pursue the optimum setting for a given set of headphones – the results have been a revelation for me. And when one considers that people physically alter their top of the line HD 800’s to combat the shortcomings of their sound signature, why would anyone not consider an EQ adjustment equally valid.

I will not recommend the TH610’s to anyone since I really cannot say what you will or will not like. But I will say that all headphones have their shortcomings as do recordings, equipment, and an individual’s ability to hear sound. But I am very pleased with the TH610’s, both in build quality and sound – I would not have kept them otherwise. They are a wonderful musical experience.

This was extremely helpful, but also makes me a bit sad to read. I've been on the fence about these for a long time. Waiting, endlessly, for some kind of sale on them. At $500 to $600, there were simply too many options for me to consider them seriously. Then I bought the E-MU Teak and got everything I wanted out of a Fostex dynamic. After reading this, I realize that I don't have the patience or the skill to EQ them well enough to make them shine. Guess it's time to take these off the shortlist.

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #819 of 974
This was extremely helpful, but also makes me a bit sad to read. I've been on the fence about these for a long time. Waiting, endlessly, for some kind of sale on them. At $500 to $600, there were simply too many options for me to consider them seriously. Then I bought the E-MU Teak and got everything I wanted out of a Fostex dynamic. After reading this, I realize that I don't have the patience or the skill to EQ them well enough to make them shine. Guess it's time to take these off the shortlist.

Nah. It's not hard. Besides it's fun. But if it isn't fun for you, then yes, look elsewhere. Unless of course you are happy with the base signature, which is entirely possible. Me telling you what I did has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how you would perceive these headphones. Personally, I do not think their is a headphone on the planet that will not benefit from an EQ tweak, which was kinda the point. I could get an Emu Teak and end wanting to tweak them too - in all likelihood, I would. All depends on the person. So, for example, I have had AKG Q701's for years. Really love their analytical sound. Knowing what I now know, and having tried a couple of preliminary EQ tests, I know they can be better.

How do you like your ifi? - I am in the market for a good solid state dac/amp combo. Would like something that does balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #820 of 974
How do you like your ifi? - I am in the market for a good solid state dac/amp combo. Would like something that does balanced.

I love it to death and would never part with it. Honestly, I would sell all other gear I own before I sold my Black Label. It's not the most resolving, not the most powerful, not the cleanest, but it is very resolving, plenty powerful, and provides a subtle warmth to the sound the works well with nearly everything. Combine that with the fact that I can use it as a portable or a desktop unit, as a DAC, amp, or pre-amp, that it has an addictive bass boost, and impedance matching for sensitive IEMs, and you can see how amazingly versatile it is. I would love if it were balanced and if it had crossfeed, but I can't imagine how they'd cram more features into without abandoning portability altogether.

Nah. It's not hard. Besides it's fun. But if it isn't fun for you, then yes, look elsewhere. Unless of course you are happy with the base signature, which is entirely possible. Me telling you what I did has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how you would perceive these headphones. Personally, I do not think their is a headphone on the planet that will not benefit from an EQ tweak, which was kinda the point. I could get an Emu Teak and end wanting to tweak them too - in all likelihood, I would. All depends on the person. So, for example, I have had AKG Q701's for years. Really love their analytical sound. Knowing what I know now, and having tried a couple of preliminary EQ tests, I know they can be better.

I don't have anything against EQ, I just am not great at it and so it becomes time-consuming. Typically, if I need to shave down a few db here or there, I don't hold it against the headphone. My Auteur is like that. But, my real issue with EQ is that I can never get my EQ settings to match across devices. For any but minor changes, that drives me nuts. Of course, that's all on me.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #822 of 974
I bought the TH-610 a few weeks ago in the hope that it would be bassy enough for me. Now I'm having second thoughts. Can someone please compare the 610 to the x00 Ebony for me? How does the bass on them compare and which hits harder? The only comparison I could find was the link below. Do your experiences and impressions correlate to the article that x00s are bassier than the th-610 and thump more? Also I would like to use the headphones for electronic music listening.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/04/16/review-fostex-th-610-massdrop-th-x00-and-th-x00-ebony/

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #823 of 974
I bought the TH-610 a few weeks ago in the hope that it would be bassy enough for me. Now I'm having second thoughts. Can someone please compare the 610 to the x00 Ebony for me? How does the bass on them compare and which hits harder? The only comparison I could find was the link below. Do your experiences and impressions correlate to the article that x00s are bassier than the th-610 and thump more? Also I would like to use the headphones for electronic music listening.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/04/16/review-fostex-th-610-massdrop-th-x00-and-th-x00-ebony/

TH-610 has extended but flat bass. There's no emphasized mid-bass so it may lack the wow factor you want. I don't know about TH-X00 but TH900 has a lot more bass. I use my TH610 daily as they are great allrounders, but I am also looking for a headphone that slams and hits more in the bass department. TH900 is not the answer as the treble is annoying and TH-X00 is probably a downgrade in mids and highs. But if all you want is bass, TH-X00 is probably a better option for you. However, TH900 has the most amount of bass in the Fostex line.

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #824 of 974
TH-610 has extended but flat bass. There's no emphasized mid-bass so it may lack the wow factor you want. I don't know about TH-X00 but TH900 has a lot more bass. I use my TH610 daily as they are great allrounders, but I am also looking for a headphone that slams and hits more in the bass department. TH900 is not the answer as the treble is annoying and TH-X00 is probably a downgrade in mids and highs. But if all you want is bass, TH-X00 is probably a better option for you. However, TH900 has the most amount of bass in the Fostex line.
That's why I was asking about the Ebony as it's supposed to have the best mids and highs of the x00 line. My one question is does it offer more wow than than TH-610 because looking at the fr graph for it shows good extension with elevated sub-bass and I think that means it should have good thump. Overall, I just want someone that's listened to both to provide some clarification so that I can make a better decision of either getting the Ebony or sticking with the TH-610. Which is a great headphone but as you say the bass lacks that wow though there is plenty of it.

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #825 of 974
Hello fellow Fotsex-ians, having previously owned a pair of TH900 mk2, i'm a bit curious about the TH610. how do the sounds measure up? i sold the TH900 mk2 for a few reasons, mostly the sound was... good but for some reason i was a bit bored of it. how does the 610 fair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back