NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Apr 12, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #661 of 974
  It might have been asked before but since you have some experience with the HD700, have you done any comparisons or what are your impressions of the TH-610 compared to the TH-600/900 or TH-X00 if you've heard any of them?

I have only heard TH900, had them for a week actually. Sub-bass impact is stronger compared to TH610 and there's definitely more bass. However TH900 bass sounds drier, TH610 decays a bit more naturally in my opinion. TH900 low and mid mids are very recessed leading to a dry sound signature in general. TH610 mids are more forward. TH900 treble hurts my ears as there are some nasty peaks. TH610 treble is flatter and sounds more natural. I prefer TH610 but if you're not bothered by lack of mids and peaky treble, and if you want basshead levels of bass, TH900 is a better option.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #662 of 974
  I have only heard TH900, had them for a week actually. Sub-bass impact is stronger compared to TH610 and there's definitely more bass. However TH900 bass sounds drier, TH610 decays a bit more naturally in my opinion. TH900 low and mid mids are very recessed leading to a dry sound signature in general. TH610 mids are more forward. TH900 treble hurts my ears as there are some nasty peaks. TH610 treble is flatter and sounds more natural. I prefer TH610 but if you're not bothered by lack of mids and peaky treble, and if you want basshead levels of bass, TH900 is a better option.

thanks for the reply, agree with you about the TH-900 having some peaks that can be a problem for some, I'm okay with the peaks since its higher up and not at the 4-5khz range which I found bothers me, Its also why the peaks of the HD700 is not a problem either.

One thing I did notice was that the TH-900 was a little picky with amps which could make the treble peaks worse and it was only with a hybrid tube amp (Icon HP8, Liquid Glass and Red Wine Isabellina) that they sounded great.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #663 of 974
Just got mine in. Bought used from millennium-worldwide ebay seller. Definitely used pair, white stuff in the leather cracks of the pads, headphone cable bag tore open with the tape broken. Headband 2-3 clicks up on one side and the other all the way down...

First impressions within 10 minutes of use. Where the **** is the bass? I expected more bass than the Fidelio X2's, and HD650's. They're equally matched with the Superlux HD330 I have for bass. There is zero ******* bass presence compared to the HD650's. Listening to Deftones, Swerve City. Can't even hear the bass from the guitar or drums. WHERE IS THE ******* BASS?! The M40x has more bass.

Switching over to Zhu - Testarossa Music. The bass is noticeable now, but it's extremely light. These huge ass headphones I was expecting some oomph. HA! What a joke. 

Ohh, switching to Zhu - Automatic. Here we are. It's there but on the very low side. Still on par with the HD650.

Highs are nice. Gives great clarity to vocals. Vocals seem to be neutral. In between the HD650 and HD330's. The highs remind me of my Ribbon tweeters in my speakers I build a while back. Nice and airy. Automatic song has a saxophone in there, sounds pretty real. The sound stage gives a nice presence of the room.

Listening to Panama - Destroyer. The recording gives an echo/hall type of sound by default. Really good on these. Highs again are not offending. Unlike the M40x. 

I'm going to go play a game now and see what's up. Wishing these had more bass............................. I'd definitely consider keeping them. As of now I'm returning them since they're used to begin with.

I think they have more soundstage than the X2's tbh. And those are the biggest soundstage headphones I have. With the closed back of these, you do get that closed back sound so vocals aren't as natural sounding like the HD650. 

Oh ****, hold on. Amtrac - Pianoboy just started playing. Ohhhhhhh. OOOOOH. I like this. Not enough bass but sounds great. 

Going to go game now. BBL.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #664 of 974
Ordered some brainwavz angled sheepskin pads will report back for the changes.

Just got mine in. Bought used from millennium-worldwide ebay seller. Definitely used pair, white stuff in the leather cracks of the pads, headphone cable bag tore open with the tape broken. Headband 2-3 clicks up on one side and the other all the way down...

First impressions within 10 minutes of use. Where the **** is the bass? I expected more bass than the Fidelio X2's, and HD650's. They're equally matched with the Superlux HD330 I have for bass. There is zero ******* bass presence compared to the HD650's. Listening to Deftones, Swerve City. Can't even hear the bass from the guitar or drums. WHERE IS THE ******* BASS?! The M40x has more bass.

Switching over to Zhu - Testarossa Music. The bass is noticeable now, but it's extremely light. These huge ass headphones I was expecting some oomph. HA! What a joke. 

Ohh, switching to Zhu - Automatic. Here we are. It's there but on the very low side. Still on par with the HD650.

Highs are nice. Gives great clarity to vocals. Vocals seem to be neutral. In between the HD650 and HD330's. The highs remind me of my Ribbon tweeters in my speakers I build a while back. Nice and airy. Automatic song has a saxophone in there, sounds pretty real. The sound stage gives a nice presence of the room.

Listening to Panama - Destroyer. The recording gives an echo/hall type of sound by default. Really good on these. Highs again are not offending. Unlike the M40x. 

I'm going to go play a game now and see what's up. Wishing these had more bass............................. I'd definitely consider keeping them. As of now I'm returning them since they're used to begin with.

I think they have more soundstage than the X2's tbh. And those are the biggest soundstage headphones I have. With the closed back of these, you do get that closed back sound so vocals aren't as natural sounding like the HD650. 

Oh ****, hold on. Amtrac - Pianoboy just started playing. Ohhhhhhh. OOOOOH. I like this. Not enough bass but sounds great. 

To be honest some of those headphones bass are bloated or hugely boosted compared to the 610 where it is more quality instead of quantity. But yeah they do sound a bit tame in the bass

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #665 of 974
Just played a round of Battlefield 1. Amiens, the train coming in was pretty damn good. MAN, I just wish these had more bass. It took me forever to find good open back headphones and pretty happy about these for closed back on the first time over $100 lol.

I think I want to try the EMU Teak. The graph looks to show more sub sub bass.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #666 of 974
Just played a round of Battlefield 1. Amiens, the train coming in was pretty damn good. MAN, I just wish these had more bass. It took me forever to find good open back headphones and pretty happy about these for closed back on the first time over $100 lol.

I think I want to try the EMU Teak. The graph looks to show more sub sub bass.

I'm not a basshead by any means, but I do enjoy wamrth and especially a little boost in the midbass. I was pleasantly surprised by the mellowness of the bass in my pair at first, but I began to appreciate it's quality better and it's extension. They are extremely well balanced and sometimes a little treble prominent. The most balanced Fostex has made in a long while. If you want something with more bass, look at the TH-X00s, if you like the Fostex dynamic driver sound.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #667 of 974

As I said before, TH-610 is not a basshead headphone but a great bassy headphone for audiophiles. It has superb extension down to 20 hz but mid-bass is very linear. If you want more midbass, go for TH-X00. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #668 of 974
I'm really sorry for beeing that guy but I'm having a hard time making any (personal) sense out all comparisons between the 610:s and th-x00.

These last few days I've had the pleasure of auditioning the th-x00 mahogany and I love them! Now I'm trying to understand if the 610:s can give me something close or better than the th-x00.

These are my conclusions of the th-x00:

Mostly firm strong bass that sometimes can become slightly overpowering.

Lush and addictive mid range, especially the lower half. Warmth without bloat, the reason why I'm having it so hard to put them down.

Clear and detailed treble which might be a bit sharp/sibilant at its worst but for the most part "just right".

So, please help me here, do you guys think the th-610 can fill the hole in my heart that the th-x00 will leave when I return them?

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #669 of 974
I'm really sorry for beeing that guy but I'm having a hard time making any (personal) sense out all comparisons between the 610:s and th-x00.

These last few days I've had the pleasure of auditioning the th-x00 mahogany and I love them! Now I'm trying to understand if the 610:s can give me something close or better than the th-x00.

These are my conclusions of the th-x00:

Mostly firm strong bass that sometimes can become slightly overpowering.

Lush and addictive mid range, especially the lower half. Warmth without bloat, the reason why I'm having it so hard to put them down.

Clear and detailed treble which might be a bit sharp/sibilant at its worst but for the most part "just right".

So, please help me here, do you guys think the th-610 can fill the hole in my heart that the th-x00 will leave when I return them?

A different perspective:  I had both the TH-X00 and TH-600 and have heard the TH-900 quite a few times in the past, for me the TH-X00 is not as clean and detailed as either TH-600/900 due to the ear pads not fitting properly at all times.  Changing the pads on the TH-X00 helped in comfort but some pads made the sound worst to me so the TH-X00 was sold.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #670 of 974
A different perspective:  I had both the TH-X00 and TH-600 and have heard the TH-900 quite a few times in the past, for me the TH-X00 is not as clean and detailed as either TH-600/900 due to the ear pads not fitting properly at all times.  Changing the pads on the TH-X00 helped in comfort but some pads made the sound worst to me so the TH-X00 was sold.

Well, I'll admit that the first couple of minutes is more finding a fit than just listening to the phones but after that they sit rather well and I rarely need to adjust them.

Anyhow, I found a refurbished pair of th-610s at a very good price so I decided to pull the trigger blindly.
Hopefully they will sound as good as the x00:s, combined with the hd650s they come close to practical end-game in my ears.

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #671 of 974
Fitting in the brainwavz sheepskin pads is quite hard, had to do some stretches a bit, the seams are streched out can be torned off.

Soundstage has been reduced is very much in my head, bass also seems to suffer a bit slight muddy characters & bass is no longer linear, vocals also seem to be touch of sibilance than before.

Been also doing some gaming with these with the stock pads they are very good cans for having fun but not for competitive use compared to my x2.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #672 of 974
Well, I'll admit that the first couple of minutes is more finding a fit than just listening to the phones but after that they sit rather well and I rarely need to adjust them.

Anyhow, I found a refurbished pair of th-610s at a very good price so I decided to pull the trigger blindly.
Hopefully they will sound as good as the x00:s, combined with the hd650s they come close to practical end-game in my ears.

Please post back when you get the 610, would like to hear your impressions compared to the TH-X00

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #673 of 974
I got an X2 today. Although there was an issue with the purchase, the phones sound pretty good. I bought X2 to listen in my office(a cheaper one) and keep th610 at home, so it is not about replacement. 

Back to the sound. For my ears and the songs I listen to(pop, soft rock), they are really really close. I would say X2 has slightly wider sound stage; while TH610 has better treble, details, and low-end extension, but it is subtle. Beyond sound, th610 wears more comfortable for me, X2 is cheaper and sound leak seems on pair. If I had enough budget, I would just buy 2 TH610s. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #675 of 974
  Please post back when you get the 610, would like to hear your impressions compared to the TH-X00

Okey, so I finally got them and have had some time to listen. Excuse poor grammar and bad spelling, english is not my first language.

As for being refurbished I don’t know, they look brand new, had I not known that they been slightly used I’d been perfectly happy paying full price. At current rate I got them for around $460.

I had to return the TH-X00s but have been promised a re-loan once I’ve given these some time so my initial comparison will have to be from a fairly recent memory.

The TH-X00 and TH-610 do have a similar signature, the “family trait” is evident as so often stated regarding the entire line of Denon/Fostex’s that share design and driver.
They both have a firm, authoritative low-end that seems to give just about any kind of musical genre the solid foundation and body it deserves, something many other headphones either lack or doesn’t do as coherent as these.

In comparison the X00 has more perceived “slam” in the low end, the mid-bass (as discussed in other reviews/comparisons) are slightly elevated and will give you the impression that they have the most bass. In reality that might be true but the 610s extends better, deeper and as this is very noticeably it gives not only linearity but also a more effortless representation of bass-heavy music. I can’t say if this is the reason I find the 610s slightly more detailed in the low-end but fact is, the X00s have just a pinch of color while the 610s feels more accurate.
None of them will disappoint in this department unless you are after that extra heavy, encompassing thick or just flat-out overpowering bass.

The midrange might be slightly recessed but still has more than satisfying presence which perhaps could be attributed to the excellent level of detail they seem to deliver. At first I described the mid-range as lush but I realize this was something of an exaggeration, it is none the less very, very good. When I first spent some time with the X00s and had to go back to my Soundmagic HP150 I seriously thought they had broken; vocals sounded cold, dead and instruments lacked any kind of musicality. Of course, after a few hours my ears adjusted and I realized that even though the Fostex’s might not be the reigning kings of mid-range they certainly brings a delightful treat to the table.

Both phones fare very similar in this department, good clean detailed representation where the X00s seem to have more girth in the lower half and the 610s delivers more in the top end. Others have mentioned that the X00s bass bleeds in a bit and there are times I feel that male voices suffer from it. I wouldn’t call it an issue since most of the times this compliments baritone and tenor vocalists but be aware that bass vocals can fall behind in the mix.
The 610s on the other hand has none of those issues but does sound slightly thinner in comparison, their focus clearly lie in the opposite end and therefore brings out alto and soprano vocalist to a greater extent, with detail and elegance. If you could only listen to one of these it wouldn’t matter, both does mid-range se well that you won’t be disappointed.

Treble is where these siblings differ the most, to a polarizing point depending what you read into it.
Both has excellent detail and where the X00s trouble free and silky top-end defines its generally warmer theme, the 610s articulation and (dare I say) shimmer puts the final linear, studio nail in the proverbial coffin.
I was actually surprised to find them fairly different even though I knew that the 610s really are a tweaked 600 and not a retailed X00. Where some has described the X00s as sweet I tend to agree, the treble is smooth and very agreeable for most of the time but compared to the 610 they almost sound rolled off. This doesn’t mean that the 610s are sibilant or particularly strident, there is a sharpness that certain recordings can accentuate but it also lends a clarity that just isn’t there in the X00s.
For very treble-sensitive ears, the 610s will be a tougher pill to swallow. They extends really well in the this region but that also makes them go brighter with risk of fatigue for some.
I like this quality even though they are one the brighter side of my normal preference.

Side-note: Innerfidelity mentions treble-grain on the 610s, I can’t pick that up, most likely due to my chain (and ears) aren’t as refined as Tyll’s.

Both are extremely comfortable headphones, with my personal nod towards the 610s due to their ever so slightly better pads. It seems to me that the opening is just a tad larger and as a result I rarely have to adjust them when they’re on my head. The addition of an interchangeable cable is also a plus, I combined them with a shorter Sennheiser HD25-II cable and this works wonders when sitting with my portable gear.

Those are the major stand-outs, perhaps the “easiest” ones to go by memory. For soundstage, imaging and separation etc. I’ll need more time and a thorough A/B-test to make a proper comparison.

To conclude, the Fostex TH-610 is an exquisite pair of headphones. From top to bottom these deliver clarity, detail, heft and most of all pure musicality like few other “cans” I’ve had the pleasure to experience. Compared to the TH-X00 Mahogany they are different, but not by as much as I was afraid. These are still the same dish, just have slightly different seasoning.

Hope this comparison helps some in the same situation as mine since importing goods from Massdrop can be expensive and complicated for people living outside the U.S.

I'll happily try to answer any questions you have, time permitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back