NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Dec 1, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #436 of 974

You should have a look at this Tyll has a small mention about the th610 & d5000

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th

Yes they have look for silver dragon headphone cable v3, under headphone connection type look for the fostex.

Thanks BearMonster.  I had already checked that link before and it looks like Tyll loves the E-MU Teak and was not largely impressed with the TH-900 (which I found very susprising).  Maybe he did not like the earpads.  

The TH-610 extend lower, move more air and have a warmer tint and less harsh highs - I'd say there's more detail, although less shoved in your face.
Subbass in particular improves a lot.

Thanks criticalJenn.   Is the sound signature of the TH-610 closer to the D7000 (which I don't have, and I regret not having it).  What about the TH-900?  

I am also lurking at the new Denon D7200 as a potential step up to the D5000.*  It really looks gorgeous but has not been released yet.   

*I really like the D5000 but I want a bit more clarity, and a bit more details in the bass (less mushy).  Though it is a fun headphone, which I will never sell.  

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #437 of 974

Thanks criticalJenn.   Is the sound signature of the TH-610 closer to the D7000 (which I don't have, and I regret not having it).  What about the TH-900?  

I am also lurking at the new Denon D7200 as a potential step up to the D5000.*  It really looks gorgeous but has not been released yet.   

*I really like the D5000 but I want a bit more clarity, and a bit more details in the bass (less mushy).  Though it is a fun headphone, which I will never sell.  

I only own the D5000, D2000 and TH-610, but from what I know the TH-900 is the harshest and treble-heavy out of all of them - D7000s I know next to nothing about.

If you want a smooth, bass-heavy signature with good extension, the 610 are the best choice though. They're also the only ones that have dampened drivers out of the biodynamics, so that helps a lot with the treble harshness people usually mention.
There's also the E-MU Teak headphones, but they've got more treble in comparison to the 610s. All-around upgrade from the D5000 though, where the 610 are a bit of a shift in tonality on top.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #438 of 974

Thanks BearMonster.  I had already checked that link before and it looks like Tyll loves the E-MU Teak and was not largely impressed with the TH-900 (which I found very susprising).  Maybe he did not like the earpads.  

Are your D5000's Lawton modded?  I was a skeptic at first but sent my bone stock D7000 to Mark to work his magic and once it returned it truly was better - defined as tighter bass, smoother highs.  I've done his mods to two different D5000's, two different D2000's, my TH900 and my TH600 and am a believer in his damping as well as his angle pads, which I have on my D7000 and D2000 (which are the only two Denon's I still own). 

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #439 of 974

I only own the D5000, D2000 and TH-610, but from what I know the TH-900 is the harshest and treble-heavy out of all of them - D7000s I know next to nothing about.

If you want a smooth, bass-heavy signature with good extension, the 610 are the best choice though. They're also the only ones that have dampened drivers out of the biodynamics, so that helps a lot with the treble harshness people usually mention.
There's also the E-MU Teak headphones, but they've got more treble in comparison to the 610s. All-around upgrade from the D5000 though, where the 610 are a bit of a shift in tonality on top.

Hmmm, so the TH-900 may produce more ear fatigue, which I don't desire.  Any TH-900 users here?  

Edit:  I found this, and it looks like the trebbles are well controlled on the TH-900:  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/7395

The TH-610 looks like a nice set of headphones all around, and a good upgrade to the D5000 and TH-600.  Probably some compromise between the D5000 and D7000 I suspect.  I really wished I got the D7000.  Oh well!  

Before I purchase a new set, I would wait for the D7200 to be tested, as those look promising.  Any updates about the release date (at least in Japan)?

Are your D5000's Lawton modded?  I was a skeptic at first but sent my bone stock D7000 to Mark to work his magic and once it returned it truly was better - defined as tighter bass, smoother highs.  I've done his mods to two different D5000's, two different D2000's, my TH900 and my TH600 and am a believer in his damping as well as his angle pads, which I have on my D7000 and D2000 (which are the only two Denon's I still own). 

Just stock for me. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #440 of 974
Towards the end of the article, I found a comparison between the Fostex TH-610 vs Denon D7000, and both cans seem to have very similar sound signature.  This is good news for me.

https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/fostex-th-610-review

If some of you have both the D7000 and TH-610, feel free to share your opinions.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #441 of 974
  Towards the end of the article, I found a comparison between the Fostex TH-610 vs Denon D7000, and both cans seem to have very similar sound signature.  This is good news for me.

https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/fostex-th-610-review

If some of you have both the D7000 and TH-610, feel free to share your opinions.

As noted earlier, I've owned multiple Denon's and Fostex variants on this chassis/model.  I honestly felt they all had the same basic sound signature - the only variable was the Lawton tuning and pads and depth of the aftermarket cups I installed on all of them (with the exception of the TH900). 

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #442 of 974

As noted earlier, I've owned multiple Denon's and Fostex variants on this chassis/model.  I honestly felt they all had the same basic sound signature - the only variable was the Lawton tuning and pads and depth of the aftermarket cups I installed on all of them (with the exception of the TH900). 

A few years ago, I wanted to do so with the D5000, but I am content with what the D5000 has to offer. I consider this more as a fun (and very comfortable) set of headphones.  I also owns the HE-500 (Hifiman), which provides a more controlled sound signature (but definitely not as comfy as the Denon 5000).   I found this combo quite complementary.

How do you like the TH-900?  Best semi-closed cans?  I would not mind trying those.  

I see that you are a big Pink Floyd fan.  Me too!  Saw Roger at the Desert Trip festival in Indio last October.  Best sound system I have ever heard in my life, and it was outdoors.  The quadriphonic sound on Fearless was absolutely superb!  The Animals set was the icing on the cake.  That Pig (3 Different Ones) version 
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #445 of 974
  Do you have those headphones?  If so, what do you think?

I don't... I want a headphone with great bass and smooth highs. I love TH900's bass for instance but its highs are harsh. Elear is said to have a U shape response so I wondered if there are people who've heard both.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #446 of 974

I don't... I want a headphone with great bass and smooth highs. I love TH900's bass for instance but its highs are harsh. Elear is said to have a U shape response so I wondered if there are people who've heard both.

Well, I ordered one set of Focal Elear at Audio Advisor yesterday.   Since your post, I have been reading crazily about that set of headphones.   I have the He-500 as an open can, which has great rendering (though a bit too analytical and maybe too controlled for my taste)*, but that damn headphone has horrible design.   The clamp squeezed my head/ears like a lemon, and over a relatively short period of time (30-60min), I found them not very comfortable at all (Audeze are even worse).  In my opinion, I think a good set of headphones should feel part of you, and not a hassle over a period of time. 

Based on the reading, the Elear are very comfortable (actually top notch), and built quality is excellent.  Here are some detailed reviews, and some describe that set of headphones like analogue, smooth, not harsh, plenty of dynamic :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone#mBO6AMqGl2skhq3W.97  (Tyll really liked those cans)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone#mBO6AMqGl2skhq3W.97  (probably the best review online) 

* I think the Denon D5000 is way more fun than the HE-500.  I wish the lows bleed a bit less on the D5000, but I suspect the Elear will be faster and has plenty of dynamic (specially in the mids)

As for the TH-900, I also read the somewhat harshness in the highs with that headphones.  I have not had the chance to listen to music with them though but I do not care much for bright headphones that much.  Can those cans be qualified as sibilant?

I will get back with my impressions about the Elear sometime next time (hopefully). 

Cheers,

Max

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #447 of 974

Well, I ordered one set of Focal Elear at Audio Advisor yesterday.   Since your post, I have been reading crazily about that set of headphones.   I have the He-500 as an open can, which has great rendering (though a bit too analytical and maybe too controlled for my taste)*, but that damn headphone has horrible design.   The clamp squeezed my head/ears like a lemon, and over a relatively short period of time (30-60min), I found them not very comfortable at all (Audeze are even worse).  In my opinion, I think a good set of headphones should feel part of you, and not a hassle over a period of time. 

Based on the reading, the Elear are very comfortable (actually top notch), and built quality is excellent.  Here are some detailed reviews, and some describe that set of headphones like analogue, smooth, not harsh, plenty of dynamic :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone#mBO6AMqGl2skhq3W.97  (Tyll really liked those cans)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone#mBO6AMqGl2skhq3W.97  (probably the best review online) 

* I think the Denon D5000 is way more fun than the HE-500.  I wish the lows bleed a bit less on the D5000, but I suspect the Elear will be faster and has plenty of dynamic (specially in the mids)

As for the TH-900, I also read the somewhat harshness in the highs with that headphones.  I have not had the chance to listen to music with them though but I do not care much for bright headphones that much.  Can those cans be qualified as sibilant?

I will get back with my impressions about the Elear sometime next time (hopefully). 

Cheers,

Max

Lol, I hope I didn't make your wallet suffer... 
tongue.gif
 Elear should be much better than HE500 based on comments... Hopefully it's not hype-fi.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #449 of 974

Lol, I hope I didn't make your wallet suffer... 
tongue.gif
 Elear should be much better than HE500 based on comments... Hopefully it's not hype-fi.

I should receive them by either Wednesday or Thursday, so expect some feedback by the end of the week.   If the sound is superior in every (or most) aspects, I will sell the HE500.  I generally prefer dynamic headphones as they are much more fun to listen to. 

The TH-610 looks like a nice set of headphones, maybe a decent upgrade to D5000, but Fostex tend to have too recessed mids.  I would need to borrow a pair and see how they truly sound compared to the D5000 (I suspect similar to D5000 with more control in the low frequencies).

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #450 of 974
Would love to hear your impressions. I'm with you regarding dynamic/planar phones. I've listened to several Hifiman, including the HE-1000, and a few Audeze and none of them have really got me excited. Dynamics just sound more natural and organic to me.

I've been extremely happy with my TH-610. A couple months in now and I still am listening to them more than my HD-800. Though to be honest the fact that they leak less noise is one reason why. But I don't feel like I'm missing out with the sound either. Listened to some old school metal the other day and they rocked pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back