NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Aug 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #211 of 974
  I have recently had a listening session with Th610 and Th900mk2, as a sennheiser guy (650s) i really enjoyed absolutely different signature of fostex, though for me both sounded good and the addition of removable cable with same pins as my 650's - it's amazing. Absolutely fell in love with them )))
PS impressions, they're bassy, but not that much, they're warm, but its all under control of your rig (DAC/AMP). They are somewhere below 100 Ohms , so they're easy to drive.
And for me they seemed super comfy, cosy, like something that you have known for a very long time and missed.

What did you like about both of them? And what we're the differences between the 2 cans if you don't mind. ? 

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #212 of 974
Hi,
I've listened to both second time, and I'd tell that I liked more th610, sound is almost similar (using mojo as a source) but it seemed like th900mk2 leaks sound a bit more then th610. Overall they seemed similar to me. So it seems like getting th610 is more rational. I cannot justify big difference in price)

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #214 of 974
Hi,
I've listened to both second time, and I'd tell that I liked more th610, sound is almost similar (using mojo as a source) but it seemed like th900mk2 leaks sound a bit more then th610. Overall they seemed similar to me. So it seems like getting th610 is more rational. I cannot justify big difference in price)
Thank you very much for that information sir. One of these will be in my arsenal soon. And I'm getting the Focal Elear as my open back set.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #215 of 974
  How does the treble on the TH610 compare to the excessive treble on the TH600. Is the mid also scooped or more warm / full?

got a pair today, haven't tried them for long, have a JDS Labs Element, that i didnt like the sound so much from, still its quite okey as a dac/amp, have 2 other with lower amplification

the treble seem to be quite bareable, its not to abrasive for the moment, i have some different songs, that are not too good mastered

it seems to be scooped warm, i believe it will get more full, after some use

it does have a treble in the middle area with these original pads
as mentioned earlier it does remind of the beyer dynamics with the middle sound of the treble (original pads), as with the DT-880

still the beyers was too high and metallic to be able to listened to higher volumes

it would be nice to have a little less to be able to use it more with a higher volume, think its very possible eq them to a nice level

some initial thoughts

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #219 of 974
the thing i wonder most about the th610, is that it wasnt that good resolution on the sound, more a all-arounder, i can even squeeze out more bass from the Sony MDR-v700 with another pair of pads

anyone that experienced that the Fostex cans, lack some resolution, quality of sound in tone quality injunction with the sound image?

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #220 of 974
  Very tempted to actually jump on these and sell off my D5000s.. are there actually any reviews or impressions on them yet?

I'm curious what changed since the 600s - maybe some slight driver tweaks, cup stuffing, and obviously the fact that they're walnut now.
Curious about comparative frequency response to the 600s and E-MUs, mostly.

I'm guessing that they incorporated some of the changes from when they worked with Massdrop on the TH-X00 which corrected a couple issues. Can someone confirm that?

Last year I was about to pull the trigger on dropping about $770 for an old D7000, but the price was too good to pass up on the X00. I don't doubt that the D7000 is still better, but the question is if it's worth the $370+ difference. 

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #221 of 974
I'm guessing that they incorporated some of the changes from when they worked with Massdrop on the TH-X00 which corrected a couple issues. Can someone confirm that?

Last year I was about to pull the trigger on dropping about $770 for an old D7000, but the price was too good to pass up on the X00. I don't doubt that the D7000 is still better, but the question is if it's worth the $370+ difference. 

Ive been modding Fostex TH series headphones for a custom mod im working on and the difference between TH600 and THX00 is:

Pads,
Cups (TH600 has cotton or what ever in it)
Drivers (TH600 has a deeper magnet chamber while THX00 has similar drivers to EMU Teak/AH-D5000 which is just a shorter magnet chamber.)

Everything else is the same.

I think th610 just incorporated the pads and cup design of the THX00.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #223 of 974
anyone know if Audio-Technica's headphones are better, is there any with the same bass response, and with the same quality for better in resolution, without being too bright as with beyers' for example? 

i feel for the moment, with the original pads, that i would not even buy these headphones if they went for 20 euros, they seem, like a lesser quality microphone, that has a thicker not so good isolation over it

doesnt give the clarity or resolution needed for the price, must be the pads, think its better to find something else that can deliver more than a dampened microphone

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #224 of 974
  anyone know if Audio-Technica's headphones are better, is there any with the same bass response, and with the same quality for better in resolution, without being too bright as with beyers' for example? 

i feel for the moment, with the original pads, that i would not even buy these headphones if they went for 20 euros, they seem, like a lesser quality microphone, that has a thicker not so good isolation over it

doesnt give the clarity or resolution needed for the price, must be the pads, think its better to find something else that can deliver more than a dampened microphone

Not too sure about Audio-Tech, but I get the general sense from my experience that they are more mid-centric with the tradition AT sweetness.  R70X is a welcome change though but is also another completely different topic.  

I may just be reading your post wrong...but what does the headphone have to do with being a microphone?  Fostex cans have traditionally been below average in terms of isolation for closed cans.  That said, the benefit is an excellent soundstage.  I haven't heard the 610 myself, but judging from my time with the Th900 - is this thickness coming from the bass?  

If it is the bass, then that may very well be just Fostex's signature.  For what its worth, the Fostex cans maintain great resolution and separation despite being low-end heavy.  Once again...not so sure about the dampened microphone.  Is it the way the vocals are portrayed?

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #225 of 974
sorry about the last post, but just wanted to describe some feelings

i was very disappointing with the resolution, the sony mdr-v700 does even compete with this headphone some with other pads, still its a little minimal better, will give it more tries

it sounds very smeared, dampened, smeared resolution, not handling the sound with a good overall tonality, everything just sounds like a very bad common headphone

the clarity is lacking a lot, and it just sounds awful, the bass is not strong either and is not well controlled, its abolutely v-shaped

it has a thicker soft plushy inner layering in the pads, that may make this more prominent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back