New Fosgate Headpone Amp............Sweet!
Nov 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #32 of 46
Yeah I still find it intriguing but with a new amp rolling in here every month or so for review, I don't plan to buy one of these.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:
I'm interested in it as well, especially in how well it performs with highly sensitive headphones like the TH-900.

I own a TH900, and I'm planning to pull the trigger on this amp soon. Stay tuned.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

I own a TH900, and I'm planning to pull the trigger on this amp soon. Stay tuned.

Finally some listening impressions!

I'm not sure I'm on my way to getting one just yet - I really have to upgrade my source first - but I live not far from the MusicDirect physical "store" (it's basically in a dumpy warehouse building in the West Loop, for those of you familiar with Chicago) and have been meaning to stop by one of these days to try it out.  It has a gorgeous aesthetic, interesting features (and promising-sounding, but that could be the marketing speak working its influence on me) and a bit of flexibility.

Best of luck to you, songmic, and please do keep us updated.

EDIT:

Oooh... and please let us (me, really) know what you think of it with the Metrum DAC!

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
Hasn't this amp been out for awhile now?  Seems like no one here has one or has even heard one?

Word of advice: DON'T EVEN BOTHER TRYING TO BUY THIS AMP.
You'll only find yourself frustrated and angry in the end. Here's why.

About 2-3 months ago I contacted Musical Surroundings (official distributor of the Fosgate amp) asking for this product. I was genuinely curious about it and was interested in purchasing it, because of its interesting features, design, and performance for the price.

They had slow response, but still answered my questions. However, after a few emails they started not responding to my emails for weeks, sometimes ignoring my mails until I sent the same email over again. After hearing me out - I told them I needed a 220V unit - they referred me to their product dealer (Acoustics Sound) telling me that he will be able to handle my international order.

So I contacted the product dealer, which took me 2-3 weeks to get a reply. After a long delay, the dealer said that because my order was special, I should contact Musical Surroundings instead. I have no idea what's so special about my order: all I asked for was a Fosgate Signature headphone amp for 220V use. I asked Acoustic Sounds why my order is special that he wouldn't be able to handle it; he didn't answer my question but just told me to contact Musical Surroudings, and CALLED ME SUNNY. My name isn't Sunny, so what the hell? 
mad.gif

By this time I had a strange, rather unpleasant feeling that neither the distributor nor the dealer had any interest in selling me this product.

Anyway, once again I contacted Musical Surroundings, and it took me about 2 weeks and 3 repeated emails to finally get a response. Unfortunately, my hunch was right. They said that neither they nor their dealer can handle my order, so just give it up. They even admitted that they were intentionally not answering my email, because they still wouldn't be able to do anything for me. Shockingly, they even told me to refrain from sending an email to Musical Surroundings or Acoustic Sounds again.

What?? How can they treat a customer like this? All I did was ask some questions about the product and request an order to purchase it. I never said anything disturbing or offensive, I was merely a customer genuinely interested in their product. Not only did they waste my time by taking such a long time to answer my questions, they tossed me at each other as if they were trying to avoid being the one to sell me the product, ignored my questions, called me names, and in the end told me to give up the order and stop emailing them because I'm not getting one.

I had never been treated like this before as a customer. This is just not acceptable. This was possibly the worst customer service I've had from any audio companies, to the point of making me mad. So I thought to myself, I'm not buying it even if it becomes available, because their attitude was a complete turn-off.

In the end I decided to order a Zana Deux SE from Eddie Current, who kindly answered all my questions in a couple email exchanges, had great customer service and handled through my order without any fuss.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Word of advice: DON'T EVEN BOTHER TRYING TO BUY THIS AMP. ...

Sorry to hear of your frustrations.  It amazes me how many companies, based on their poor customer service, don't seem to be interested in taking our money ...
If you ever change your mind, it appears MusicDirect has them in stock:  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-65785-fosgate-signature-headphone-amp.aspx
Maybe MusicDirect will have better customer service and can answer your questions.  Good luck!

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:
Sorry to hear of your frustrations.  It amazes me how many companies, based on their poor customer service, don't seem to be interested in taking our money ...
If you ever change your mind, it appears MusicDirect has them in stock:  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-65785-fosgate-signature-headphone-amp.aspx
Maybe MusicDirect will have better customer service and can answer your questions.  Good luck!

They said only Musical Surroundings or Acoustic Sounds should be able to handle international delivery of Fosgate products. And neither of them are willing to do any business with me. Their customer service was not just poor; it was disrespectful. At any rate, I already ordered the more expensive Zana Deux SE, so I have no intention of buying the Fosgate headphone amp anymore.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #40 of 46
Sounds like a hot mess.

I'm enjoying my Fosgate- no trouble picking one up in DC.  Primarily listened with HD650's so far.  The settings are fun, and is very articulate and smooth without any filters.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:
Sounds like a hot mess.

I'm enjoying my Fosgate- no trouble picking one up in DC.  Primarily listened with HD650's so far.  The settings are fun, and is very articulate and smooth without any filters.

When a friend of mine called Acoustic Sounds recently, the salesperson claimed knowledge of the amp but said he had never tried the different settings.  This seems awfully strange.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:
Sounds like a hot mess.

So glad to see your comment!  As HD650's are all I have right now (besides some Ety's).  

The (very few) reviews or listening comments I've seen all talk about HD800's.  It's tricky chicken & egg situation; no point in owning HD800's until I have an amp that can drive them but can't at the moment afford to buy both new headphones AND a "real" amp (moving up from a Fiio E7/E9 combo).

Any new thoughts now that you've had a week or two to spend quality time with it?

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #43 of 46
looks beautiful and im sure it'll sound amazing. ill add it the list of things i will never be able to afford

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #44 of 46
Here are the specs that will be included with the manual. Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,

Michael Fajen
Service Manager
Musical Surroundings
5662 Shattuck Ave
Oakland, CA 94609
510 547-5006
fax 510 547-5009
www.musicalsurroundings.com
mike@musicalsurroundings.com

[size=18pt]Frequency response: [/size][size=16pt]2 HZ to 200KHZ at -3DB[/size]
[size=18pt]Voltage Gain 15DB[/size]
[size=18pt]Signal to noose ratio 95DB[/size]
[size=18pt]Headphone impedance drive range 30 - 500 ohms[/size]
[size=18pt]Maximum output voltage 26 volts p to p into 500 Ohm load[/size]
[size=18pt]Maximum power output 180MW RMS 500 Ohm load[/size]
[size=18pt]Maximum power output 387MW RMS 200 Ohm load[/size]
[size=18pt]Maximum power output 1000MW RMS 30 Ohm load[/size]

[size=18pt]Distortion .05% @ 165MW 1KHZ 500 Ohm load[/size]
[size=18pt]Distortion .05% @ 387MW 1KHZ 200 Ohm load[/size]
[size=18pt]Distortion .1% @ 250MW 1KHZ 30 Ohm load[/size]

[size=18pt]Maximum Bass Boost 9DB @ 30 HZ[/size]
[size=18pt]Minimum Bass Boost 6DB @ 30 HZ[/size]

On Jun 9, 2012, at 8:10 PM, RF wrote:

[size=small]Hello, looks as your amp will be for sale this month at Music Direct ! Would you please answer a couple of questions ?[/size]
[size=small]What is the output impedance ? What is the power rating at 50 and 300 ohms ? Thank You, RF[/size]

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #45 of 46
After further listening, I'm really enjoying this amp.  Great tonality and richness in the mids, while staying articulate.  I listened for three hours or so yesterday..would have for longer if I had the time. No fatigue whatsoever, Macbook Air and Explorer as my source.

While I don't find myself fiddling with the bass boost feature on the HD800s, I'm surprised to be consistently adjusting the crosstalk/surround switch.  I thought it might wear off as a novelty, but some artists and recordings really benefit from the crosstalk.  It can push the image from in your head to 10 feet in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back