New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Apr 2, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #601 of 647
It is funny to say this in this setting, but really, you can't trust your ears. Well you could, if they were the only part of yourself that was truly involved in this type of decision, but as I am pretty confident you already know, conditioning is at play. It is very hard to accept that the mega expensive box with all of the technical jargon and discussion about inaudible parameters isn't better than the much less expensive, perfectly adequate one. We fear that there is that ever so slight secret sauce that we are missing, then because in truth we want to purchase the exotic, probably more beautiful to look at and play with mega buck product, we start the process of filtering out what we don't want to hear, that we don't need to waste all that money for no audible benefit, a position clearly demonstrated by scientific evidence, and start focusing on what we want to hear because it confirms our true desire.

Once we are there and now filtering out the evidence that challenges our desire, we now can completely focus on the subjective evidence only. Before you know it, you plunk down the huge money, and what a surprise, you start to hear what everybody who did what you did hears. There is no reason in the realm of physics that the Utopia 2022 cannot be driven to absolute, and perfect audible transparency with many quite affordable amps paired with an equally affordable DAC in the chain. That is all I was saying. I am not saying there are not other reasons to buy mega buck products, there are, and everybody has to decide what they want for themselves, but along the way we shouldn't assume that the laws of physics have suddenly been rendered moot. It is ok to want what we want, just because we want it.
Condescending. Didactic.

Apr 2, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #602 of 647
Condescending. Didactic.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, no argument here. I do not agree with your assessment, but I do think I can see why you feel that way. I'm glad that you shared your perspective nonetheless.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #603 of 647
"It is ok to want what we want, just because we want it."

Well, thank you. I've been waiting for permission to enjoy myself with nice stuff in this hobby. As opposed to denying myself with cheap crap and measurements (and feel superior because of my Vulcan-like asceticism), because I envy those who feel free to be gloriously happy.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #604 of 647
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, no argument here. I do not agree with your assessment, but I do think I can see why you feel that way. I'm glad that you shared your perspective nonetheless.
I may regret this, but will ask anyway. Why do you make contributions such as your earlier post? Is it because you genuinely believe that you alone have seen the truth? And that others should be enlightened?

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #605 of 647
It is funny to say this in this setting, but really, you can't trust your ears.

Not a good way to start a sentence when in fact we are in audio forum.

I should start to tell people in photography forum, to not rely on their eyes to decide which camera they should buy.

Enjoy your stay in head-fi world bro :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #606 of 647
Hey guys, I just want to discuss the problem of amplifiers, back to the topic. I found a few amplifiers within an acceptable price range, if anyone who uses DAVE has also used these amplifiers, I hope you can share your experience. (preferably solid state, but does not exclude electronic tubes)
1.Ferrum Audio OOR
2.Holo Bliss
3.DSHA-3FN (this is rarely seen from users)

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #608 of 647
I may regret this, but will ask anyway. Why do you make contributions such as your earlier post? Is it because you genuinely believe that you alone have seen the truth? And that others should be enlightened?
Yes James, that is why. Of course not, I may be at times annoying and contrary, I certainly own that, but thankfully I am fairly certain that I haven't crossed over to being delusional. Yet anyway.

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #609 of 647
I’m excited to join the Nutopia club and should receive mine tomorrow. I did briefly own the 2020 Utopia and was very impressed, but I knew the bit of brightness would bother me in the long run, so I returned it and finally sprung for the 2022 version. Hoping this one is a keeper!

My system is primarily built around my Susvara which I drive with my Egoista, but the Utopia is an entirely different HP so I’ll need to figure out what works best. I do also have a cayin ha-300, pass hpa-1, and a monoprice LP I can play with to see if any of those work well.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #610 of 647
Doesn’t really answer if you’ve heard the Caldera or not? Can’t just dismiss it without hearing just based on prior impressions of other ZMF headphones. I’ve never heard the others, I have no idea what the ZMF house sound is.

I’m not even really saying the Calders is better but just coming from someone who loved the Original Utopia, I’m enjoying the Caldera just as much and if not more. This doesn’t take away from the Utopia or what the new model would have given me. It was appealing but the higher price threw me off. And I was looking for something a little different and felt the new model was more of the same, which is actually a very good thing if just looking to upgrade.

I have listened to it more closely in the meantime.....

The Caldera for 4.000 Euros can all at most be compared with the MG for 1.500 Euros but not with the Utopia 2022 😂
A whole different league to my ears 😉
(Thats all i have to say)

Wish you still a lot of fun with the ZMF 👍

NOMAX

Ps.lol

1624DE60-D598-48B8-AD54-8C19FEDEFD46.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #611 of 647
I have listened to it more closely in the meantime.....

The Caldera for 4.000 Euros can all at most be compared with the MG for 1.500 Euros but not with the Utopia 2022 😂
A whole different league to my ears 😉
(Thats all i have to say)

Wish you still a lot of fun with the ZMF 👍

NOMAX

Ps.lol

Thanks for replying back. I’m still greatly enjoying the Caldera and find it one of the best I’ve owned. As I posted in the past, I also loved the original Utopia and only briefly heard the 2022 model and found the sound very similar to the original. That’s good thing.

When I heard the new model was coming out, it got me thinking of trying something new and parting with the original Utopia. I wasn’t as interested in the 2022 because for additional $1000 and fact that it was too close sounding to the original. I ended up going with the Expanse and realized my mistake after a month. I really missed the Utopia. I could either get the original again, get the 2022, or take another chance on different headphone. I thought either the Elite or the Caldera. Chose Caldera because of looks and lifetime warranty on drivers. Since owning the Caldera I have not missed owning the Utopia. Think if I found it a lower tier I’d have regrets by now. They both excel at all my music. The Utopia was a hint more exciting and the Caldera a little more lush with better sub bass. Just different flavors. If I ended up with 2022 Utopia I’m sure I’d be praising it as well.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #612 of 647
Nothing to thank and a great time with your Model 👍

Unfortunately, I can't praise very much where the workmanship, the construct and the tonal performance personally convince me at the same time
in the highest price segment

It should not mean that I find everything crappy ...
Was owner of a Diana Phi in the past also because the tonal performance has convinced me 👍
Only in 2023 that is too little if the construct is no longer contemporary for 5000 euros from the house Abyss
Actually, Focal has the Nutopia priced correctly if I listen to others and especially look at🙈
Times are getting tougher to get my thumb ...because I'm getting stricter 😉

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #613 of 647
Nothing to thank and a great time with your Model 👍

Unfortunately, I can't praise very much where the workmanship, the construct and the tonal performance personally convince me at the same time
in the highest price segment

It should not mean that I find everything crappy ...
Was owner of a Diana Phi in the past also because the tonal performance has convinced me 👍
Only in 2023 that is too little if the construct is no longer contemporary for 5000 euros from the house Abyss
Actually, Focal has the Nutopia priced correctly if I listen to others and especially look at🙈
Times are getting tougher to get my thumb ...because I'm getting stricter 😉

NOMAX

PS.lol
Well over here the base model Caldera is $1500 less than the ‘22 Utopia. The drivers have a lifetime guarantee and the rest of the parts are interchangeable. They are all handmade in small shop in Illinois. I find the craftsmanship to be wonderful.

And as far as the sound, I find it hard for someone that likes the Utopia to not also like the Caldera. They both exciting, have great bass impact, plenty of details and very enjoyable. I’m not trying to say anything negative about Focal. If I could afford to keep more than one top of the line headphone, I would have never sold my Utopia. Or maybe upgrade to the new model.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #614 of 647
You know the Craftmanahip from the Foxtex TH900 or the Denons?.....and for how much?(both below 2.000)
And that was how many years ago?😉

When a new manufacturer in the market tries many years later in the market...then this is the minimum standard...because he wants so much much more
(But this is only my personal view of things)

The only negative thing I have to criticize the Nutopia that they have not donated him a 4.4 mm Pentacon cable 👎..with the 6.3 mm jack operates these headphones anyway almost no one

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #615 of 647
Hey guys, I just want to discuss the problem of amplifiers, back to the topic. I found a few amplifiers within an acceptable price range, if anyone who uses DAVE has also used these amplifiers, I hope you can share your experience. (preferably solid state, but does not exclude electronic tubes)
1.Ferrum Audio OOR
2.Holo Bliss
3.DSHA-3FN (this is rarely seen from users)
All three pair quite well Utopia but the 3N has the best type synergy.
You would want L3 which is at the level of Stellaris and also designed by ECP.

Although I would encourage you to step outside of DAVE and try other things.
I'll never understand why or how so many enjoy DAVE but such is life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back