New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #496 of 647
Never said anything about "off topic"...there just isn't much about the Nutopia impressions going on with the exception of a couple of owners or people posting reviewers opinions. And yes, all threads discuss other headphones and gear.

Sorry for what?
As I mentioned above, my post wasn't about going off topic, nor was it aimed at anyone for discussing other headphones and gear.
OK thanks for clarifying, that’s how I read it. I have thus far decided to eschew “upgrading” my Utopia so my posts have been off topic, therefore my apology.

I am left to wonder, given their near identical FRCs, whether there’s much to offer in terms of new impressions about the Nutopia. It’s really the same headphone with a more failure-resistant voice coil and some minor, controversial aesthetic changes. The FRCs don’t support some claims folks have made about “improved” tuning; the Utopias I have have tuning that is just fine to my ears! :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #497 of 647
OK thanks for clarifying, that’s how I read it. I have thus far decided to eschew “upgrading” my Utopia so my posts have been off topic, therefore my apology.

I am left to wonder, given their near identical FRCs, whether there’s much to offer in terms of new impressions about the Nutopia. It’s really the same headphone with a more failure-resistant voice coil and some minor, controversial aesthetic changes. The FRCs don’t support some claims folks have made about “improved” tuning; the Utopias I have have tuning that is just fine to my ears! :)

did u not like how the Utopia 22 sounds?

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #498 of 647
"...there just isn't much about the Nutopia impressions going on…”
That probably has to more to do with a reduction in consumer spending amid recession fears and record inflation. I’m surprised to see companies investing in the development of flagship products like the Utopia given the current global economy. Further, the original Utopia is an excellent headphone and there is little reason for owners to purchase the new version given it isn't appreciably different. At the current secondhand prices of the original Utopia it is a smart purchase and I suspect it will be a while longer before we see more impressions.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #499 of 647

I've been reading all of your post here, as well as on the HE1000se thread, so I'm aware, as well as interested in your posts and what your final outcome will be. Again, no apologies necessary.

That probably has to more to do with a reduction in consumer spending amid recession fears and record inflation. I’m surprised to see companies investing in the development of flagship products like the Utopia given the currently global economy. Further, the original Utopia is an excellent headphone and there is little reason for owners to purchase the new version given it isn't appreciably different. At the current secondhand prices of the original Utopia it is a smart purchase and I suspect it will be a while longer before we see more impressions.
Excellent point about the economy.
As well as this: "Further, the original Utopia is an excellent headphone and there is little reason for owners to purchase the new version given it isn't appreciably different".

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #500 of 647
... Further, the original Utopia is an excellent headphone and there is little reason for owners to purchase the new version given it isn't appreciably different...

... As well as this: "Further, the original Utopia is an excellent headphone and there is little reason for owners to purchase the new version given it isn't appreciably different".

did u not like how the Utopia 22 sounds?
that is the question

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #501 of 647
The New Utopias is a leap to the side rather than a really better version. In fact, there is more bass and the treble is toned down compared to the first version. In my opinion, the use of a silver cable is a must. All the rest, that is, great dynamics, speed and resolution remained in the new Utopias. The scene remained the same but headband stopped creaking (finally...) . After all, I like them very much, thanks to their warming they are now more musical and you can listen to them all the time, the music is flowing. It is a pity that Focal has overdone the price so much. The appearance of the new Focals has also been clearly subdued and now they look ordinary and the yokes are ugly, all headphones looks too dark for me. The new Utopias are more musical headphones than the previous version, although not so good technically. Now, it would be hard for me to choose which version of Utopia I prefer, the more technical or the more colorful one.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #502 of 647
@vonBaron
Utopia owner since mid '18 and use them 95% of the time with my WA33 so your description of the Nutopia mirrors what I hear from the combo mentioned above. I also use either the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse or the DanaCable Lazuli Referrence Plus and both sound spectacular.
Curios to know what type of amp/DAC you use/used (?) with the Utopia?

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #503 of 647
I use WW NPE too, don't even touch this crap Focal cable.
Now i listen them with my Sonnet Morpheus + Niimbus US5 Pro, in Friday i change Niimbus to loaned WA23.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #504 of 647
I use WW NPE too, don't even touch this crap Focal cable.
Now i listen them with my Sonnet Morpheus + Niimbus US5 Pro, in Friday i change Niimbus to loaned WA23.
I thought you also used the WWNPE, but I wasn't certain.
Interesting that you'll be receiving the WA23...I was thinking to myself I haven't heard anything about that amp (unless I'm missing its thread?) and was wondering why. I'm very interested in hearing your impression after sufficient time and burn in spent with the WA23 and Utopia. My guess is that you're going to find the Utopia mimics your description of the Nutopia with the tube amp. Keep us posted.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #506 of 647
Interesting that you'll be receiving the WA23...I was thinking to myself I haven't heard anything about that amp (unless I'm missing its thread?) and was wondering why. I'm very interested in hearing your impression after sufficient time and burn in spent with the WA23 and Utopia. My guess is that you're going to find the Utopia mimics your description of the Nutopia with the tube amp. Keep us posted.
I already have WA23 but i don't have time to use it.
Will do!

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #507 of 647
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-audio-wa23.962292/

There you go mate :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #509 of 647
I think the new Utopia will be my go-to recommendation for best all-rounder TOTL headphone. It's a pretty noticeable improvement over the OG, IMO. I owned the OG for a while a few years ago and had a chance to try it again right before getting the new one. I have really been enjoying the 2022 a lot more. The OG used to be too much for me after 15 minutes.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #510 of 647
I think the new Utopia will be my go-to recommendation for best all-rounder TOTL headphone. It's a pretty noticeable improvement over the OG, IMO. I owned the OG for a while a few years ago and had a chance to try it again right before getting the new one. I have really been enjoying the 2022 a lot more. The OG used to be too much for me after 15 minutes.
I suppose it’s a YMMV thing.

I had a listen to the 2022 version and my personal preference leant towards the OG. I had pretty much found my synergy with the OG and a Danacable lazuli reference to flesh it out. And coming from the LCD-5 (where my brain is used to the mid-forward) I thought the 2022 low-mids were a tad recessed, warmer and darker. Which may lean towards popular opinion but not so much my taste. Had I owned the 2022 I probably would have come around.

Both headphones are very much TOTL in their technical aspects. Agree this may be more of a side step. Speaking to the dealer, they’ve had a mixed response so far. Some have bought the 2022 on top of the OG ; some are quite happy to roll with the OG and skip the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back