New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #467 of 647
damn the cable is damn expensive!!! kind of sucks you had the 2021 version of utopia and had to trade so early.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #468 of 647
Hey it was personal choice as I was offered an exceptional price to swop over so a no brained for me.. feedback from friends who have done the same has been great.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #469 of 647
how were you so comfortable with the luzuli reference cable on the 2022 utopia blind though? it was a great cable for prior editions of the utopia, arent you worried it may not be a good fit with the 2022?

^serious question, not being sarcastic in anyway in case it comes across as that, as it is forum words

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #470 of 647
The honest truth is I have a Utopia owner that will take it off my hands if it’s not for me, as I’ve taken the hit on shipping etc, but I’m pretty confident it will work for me. I’ve back tk backed the 2 Utopias already and just feel with the little extra bass and soundstage the new one gave me (for my ears) I’ll find it hard to not like it over the standard cable which I think looks horrid, and would be surprised if it sounds better also.
I think sound is very subjective, I had the Diana V2 and Phi and struggled with the superconductor cable I had with them, I just didn’t get it at all, but the Lazuli I’ve heard with the OG Utopia was night and day comparison to stock.

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #471 of 647
that is interesting, the sc cable for my 1266 has been pretty different vs stock.

Nov 6, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #472 of 647
So I came back to demo the utopia 2022 and really wanted to like it but the bass presentation isnjust not my cup of tea. Since it is so easily driven I wanted to like this headphone so much as I could run it off the dap.

I am now eyeing the elites as a secondary headphone but my head says utopia for its technical ability vs elite for more enjoyment of music.

I am an odd ball in that I am a pessimist so when I listen to utopia I think damn this is great detail but not much engagement, and when listening to elite, it is sorta like damn where are all those details. Haha.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #473 of 647
I'm in the same boat and am leaning toward selling off my Utopia 2022 and LCD5 and keeping the Diana TC. Each of them does certain things better than the others but the Diana has the most 'palpable' sound particularly the bass. I will do a few more rounds of A/B/C testing with each headphone using the Cayin C9 transportable amp with the SP3000 and LP6ti7AE as DAP sources.
For sound quality only do you prefer the SP3000 or the LP6ti7AE, direct from the DAP's without the C9?

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #475 of 647
For sound quality only do you prefer the SP3000 or the LP6ti7AE, direct from the DAP's without the C9?
LP6ti7AE. Its one of those unfortunate situations where the highest-priced item actually is the best in class. Its a great R2R dac implementation where its not just smoother and more analog-sounding, its equally resolving, detailed, and extended.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #476 of 647
So I came back to demo the utopia 2022 and really wanted to like it but the bass presentation isnjust not my cup of tea. Since it is so easily driven I wanted to like this headphone so much as I could run it off the dap.

I am now eyeing the elites as a secondary headphone but my head says utopia for its technical ability vs elite for more enjoyment of music.

I am an odd ball in that I am a pessimist so when I listen to utopia I think damn this is great detail but not much engagement, and when listening to elite, it is sorta like damn where are all those details. Haha.
I have a similar feeling though the Elite is just a bit too dark for me to take home. I have not heard the Solitaire P but the reviews indicate its worth a try...
Have you tried the Diana TC?

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #477 of 647
LP6ti7AE. Its one of those unfortunate situations where the highest-priced item actually is the best in class. Its a great R2R dac implementation where its not just smoother and more analog-sounding, its equally resolving, detailed, and extended.
Agreed. I am really impressed with the SP3000 and had high hopes the SQ would equal the LP6ti7AE, but it doesn't. If L&P could produce a DAP with the sounds quality of the LP6ti7AE and a modern user interface, plus streaming, well,,,,,,, I think I would be all set :wink:

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #478 of 647
I have a similar feeling though the Elite is just a bit too dark for me to take home. I have not heard the Solitaire P but the reviews indicate its worth a try...
I did not try the diana tc but do own the tc1266. Diana isnt rly transportable in my case as I only want to carry a dap at most. But yes elite is a bit warm for sure. Its a tough decision between them both. They are direct competition to each other due to price AND both easy to drive.

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #479 of 647
Agreed. I am really impressed with the SP3000 and had high hopes the SQ would equal the LP6ti7AE, but it doesn't. If L&P could produce a DAP with the sounds quality of the LP6ti7AE and a modern user interface, plus streaming, well,,,,,,, I think I would be all set :wink:
I have heard n LP7 is underway. Let’s see what that will bring to the table.

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #480 of 647
Could you tell me more about your assessment of the Elites? I have the Utopia 2020s and I’m currently auditioning a HiFiMan HE1000se and an HE1000V2, looking for a bit more fun and physicality and soundstage for rock genres compared to my Focals. In what way did you find them dark? How do they perform in the low end compared to your Utopias?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back