New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Nov 7, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #481 of 647
How do they perform in the low end compared to your Utopias?

u didn't ask me, but I'll chime in anyways. had the Elite and Utopia at the same time. for the low end, the Utopia reaches down lower and has better slam/punch. the Elite felt like it had a low freq cut off compared to the Utopia, and the lack of punch killed it for me.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #483 of 647
u didn't ask me, but I'll chime in anyways. had the Elite and Utopia at the same time. for the low end, the Utopia reaches down lower and has better slam/punch. the Elite felt like it had a low freq cut off compared to the Utopia, and the lack of punch killed it for me.
Thank you for your insights! Interesting to hear that you found the bass lacking in the Meze Elites compared to the Utopias—bass is what I feel like I’m lacking with my Focals. I bought a HiFiMan Edition XS for travel and despite its marginal cost, the soundstage blew me away, and the low end was physical in a way that I’ve never experienced with headphones, and I’ve run through a lot (although most have had the more neutral tuning that I’ve found common among the flagships of the past, almost like rock is considered anathema for critical listeners).

I rolled my Utopias with Stellia pads, and that made an objective improvement in the sub bass (enough so that I could turn off that band in my PEQ). And I have an analog bass boost on my amp that I pretty much keep on full all the time.

I’ll always keep my Utopias. But right now I’m auditioning the Susvaras and HE1000se (I love the latter, they’re terrific fun). And on another thread someone suggested that the Elites had similar tuning and bass oomph minus the brightness of the HFM that I worry might lead to fatigue. Everyone’s ears are different it surely seems! :)

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #484 of 647
I recently auditioned the Nutopia and re-auditioned the Elite, and had my Susvara in tow for comparison. The OG Utopia was also present. Briefly, I found the most notable difference between the OG and Nutopia was a somewhat larger, airier soundstage with the latter. I found I preferred this with most, but not all, test tracks. Tonally, they were pretty similar from what I could discern under the circumstances.

As to the Elite, at first blush I find it quite reminiscent of the Susvara, BUT there's a midbass hump that sticks out like a sore thumb and kills it for me. EQ could probably cure it, but I don't need portability and the Susvara has even better technicals, so why bother?

To be honest, I left the audition with the realization that the N/Utopia is still probably my second favorite headphone overall. It gets FR and timbre very right... and it can boogie!

FWIW.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #485 of 647
I recently auditioned the Nutopia and re-auditioned the Elite, and had my Susvara in tow for comparison. The OG Utopia was also present. Briefly, I found the most notable difference between the OG and Nutopia was a somewhat larger, airier soundstage with the latter. I found I preferred this with most, but not all, test tracks. Tonally, they were pretty similar from what I could discern under the circumstances.

As to the Elite, at first blush I find it quite reminiscent of the Susvara, BUT there's a midbass hump that sticks out like a sore thumb and kills it for me. EQ could probably cure it, but I don't need portability and the Susvara has even better technicals, so why bother?

To be honest, I left the audition with the realization that the N/Utopia is still probably my second favorite headphone overall. It gets FR and timbre very right... and it can boogie!

FWIW.
Great insights. Since a different tonality is exactly what I’m seeking as a companion to my 2020 Utopias (something a bit more on the “fun” side, if I may), I’ve decided to forgo the Nutopia and try a different brand/driver/shape. I’ve got the Susvaras here, along with the HEKV2, and the HEKse.

The Susvaras are unquestionably phenomenal (although pushing the limits of my 14 watt headphone amp), but they’re just too close to the Utopia’s neutrality and precision to meet my target, particularly at that price. I find both the HEKs to be enormous fun, with the V2s being more vast in soundstage and physical in the sub bass, while the se’s offer more detail, mid-bass warmth and a brightness in the 5,000-8,000 range that I’m worried might get fatiguing. Hence my curiosity about the Elites, which with each passing comment seems to be fading.

I suspect I’ll likely stick with the HEKse’s, unless someone offers a compelling case for another option altogether. After all this swapping between cans trying to make a decision, I’m beginning to go nuts!

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #486 of 647
And on another thread someone suggested that the Elites had similar tuning and bass oomph minus the brightness of the HFM that I worry might lead to fatigue. Everyone’s ears are different it surely seems! :)

I actually found the Elites occasionally slightly rough and harsh up top. seemed like a wonky FR to me. I did think, however, that if taking into account individual technical abilities, the Elite does best the Utopia. but oddly, when putting them all together, the sum of its parts just doesn't gel with me. the hybrid/leather pads made a difference but I kept wanting a pad that was in-between the two.

as much as I wanted to keep the Elite, and as much as I (thought I) enjoyed the Elite in the early days, I'd still take OG/U22 over empy/elite. its not the absolute "best" hp out there, but the U22 is a jack of all trades, and master of some.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #487 of 647
I actually found the Elites occasionally slightly rough and harsh up top. seemed like a wonky FR to me. I did think, however, that if taking into account individual technical abilities, the Elite does best the Utopia. but oddly, when putting them all together, the sum of its parts just doesn't gel with me. the hybrid/leather pads made a difference but I kept wanting a pad that was in-between the two.

as much as I wanted to keep the Elite, and as much as I (thought I) enjoyed the Elite in the early days, I'd still take OG/U22 over empy/elite. its not the absolute "best" hp out there, but the U22 is a jack of all trades, and master of some.
Well said. I’m still waiting for someone else to try my Stellia pad roll with the Utopia and confirm my experience with this mod. I tried the Dekoni pads, which were a joke, then a set of Elear pads, which were the original ones that got some press about boosting the low end in the OG Utopias.

But when I tried the Stellia pads there was no equivocation about the difference—I occasionally think I hear a bit of smoothing in the upper mids, but I unquestionably hear about a 5-6 db rise in the sub bass and more fullness in the mid bass, in a way that doesn’t alter the surrounding frequencies in any way I can notice.

Something about the solid leather Stellia pads vs the fenestrated, compliant Utopia pads seems to contain the low end from dispersing, plus the chocolate color looks dazzling against that all-black Utopia vibe!

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #488 of 647
Well said. I’m still waiting for someone else to try my Stellia pad roll with the Utopia and confirm my experience with this mod. I tried the Dekoni pads, which were a joke, then a set of Elear pads, which were the original ones that got some press about boosting the low end in the OG Utopias.

But when I tried the Stellia pads there was no equivocation about the difference—I occasionally think I hear a bit of smoothing in the upper mids, but I unquestionably hear about a 5-6 db rise in the sub bass and more fullness in the mid bass, in a way that doesn’t alter the surrounding frequencies in any way I can notice.

Something about the solid leather Stellia pads vs the fenestrated, compliant Utopia pads seems to contain the low end from dispersing, plus the chocolate color looks dazzling against that all-black Utopia vibe!

I have the Stellia. Will give it a go later today.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #489 of 647

i had an opportunity to use the elite when i was comparing the chord hugo 2 and qutest some time ago. not being a fan of the empyrean's sound signature, i was pleasantly surprised by the elite. its clarity had markedly improved over that of the empyrean and it was still such an easy headphone to listen to. it remains one of the most comfortable headphones i've worn.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #490 of 647
Great insights. Since a different tonality is exactly what I’m seeking as a companion to my 2020 Utopias (something a bit more on the “fun” side, if I may), I’ve decided to forgo the Nutopia and try a different brand/driver/shape. I’ve got the Susvaras here, along with the HEKV2, and the HEKse.

The Susvaras are unquestionably phenomenal (although pushing the limits of my 14 watt headphone amp), but they’re just too close to the Utopia’s neutrality and precision to meet my target, particularly at that price. I find both the HEKs to be enormous fun, with the V2s being more vast in soundstage and physical in the sub bass, while the se’s offer more detail, mid-bass warmth and a brightness in the 5,000-8,000 range that I’m worried might get fatiguing. Hence my curiosity about the Elites, which with each passing comment seems to be fading.

I suspect I’ll likely stick with the HEKse’s, unless someone offers a compelling case for another option altogether. After all this swapping between cans trying to make a decision, I’m beginning to go nuts!
I really enjoyed my hekse straight out of my iphone, ipad and kann cube that i owned when i had the hekse.

i highly rate them.
Great precision.
Punchy tight bottom end.

i also understand why some might find them too bright or might prefer the v2 at almost half the price.

i only sold them when i bought the susvaras and something had to go. I kept the utopias over the hekse as it was a better complement (for me) with the susvaras, v keeping the hekse, and i preferred the fuller sound of the utopias v hekse.

but if i needed to thin down my collection having the hekse as my only headphone and being used straight out of my iphone, ipad or any device could be something i feel i could happily live with.
A very transportable set up indeed that one could easily bring to the couch, or bed, bathroom, etc. Until i felt the need to buy a dac, and amp, and streamer, and interconnects, and headphone cables, etc…… and then it all starts all over again.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #492 of 647
So much for "New Focal Utopia for 2022: Impressions"
posts comparing the nutopia with other headphones are not off-topic imo and can be found on this page. moreover, i can't think of a single forum thread that hasn't gone off-topic, including the fabled 'focal utopia general discussion' thread.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #493 of 647
Nov 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #494 of 647
posts comparing the nutopia with other headphones are not off-topic imo and can be found on this page. moreover, i can't think of a single forum thread that hasn't gone off-topic, including the fabled 'focal utopia general discussion' thread.
Never said anything about "off topic"...there just isn't much about the Nutopia impressions going on with the exception of a couple of owners or people posting reviewers opinions. And yes, all threads discuss other headphones and gear.
I’m sorry.
Sorry for what?
As I mentioned above, my post wasn't about going off topic, nor was it aimed at anyone for discussing other headphones and gear.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #495 of 647
Never said anything about "off topic"...there just isn't much about the Nutopia impressions going on with the exception of a couple of owners or people posting reviewers opinions. And yes, all threads discuss other headphones and gear.

Sorry for what?
As I mentioned above, my post wasn't about going off topic, nor was it aimed at anyone for discussing other headphones and gear.
no you didn't but seeing as your seemingly disgruntled post followed a number of posts that weren't about the topic of this thread, i thought i'd mention it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back