New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Sep 16, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #287 of 647
Why Clear Mg cost same as Clear OG and Utopia 2022 cost significantly more than Utopia OG?

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #289 of 647
It could be that the best thing of the Focal Utopia 2022 is that the the old model will be cheaper. The same with the Clears, got my Clear OG this year for 850 Eur new :)So the Utopia 2022 is definitley good for something: Either it is better than expected or the price of the old model is falling.
I make my jokes.
However, I am convinced that the new Utopia will be an upgrade to the old one.
The tonality out of the box doesn't matter to me, because I always personalize the frequency response with the help of Oratory.

For me, however, the new Utopia is uninteresting at the moment for several reasons.

1. the price.
3000€ are my limit.

2. i depend on Oratory's measurements.

3. I bought a new HEK V2 a few weeks ago for 1999$, and I am very happy with this headphone.
I've had a lot of headphones (see signature), but none so far have given me such a perfect listening experience as this Hifiman.
And that for "only" 2000$.
I do find the new headphones like Expanse and Utopia on the other hand interesting, but the only thing I want, is to go for a ride with the HEK right away.
These headphones make me forget about the competition.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #290 of 647
For those more familiar with the GRAS FRs, courtesy Resolve:

1663338739093.png

that one’s insightful! If these are dome resonances, it would point to a stiffer better damped mobile unit (formerless coil and/or updated suspension). Otherwise, some undisclosed increase in the aircup system absorption (pad,grill,back chamber of the dome)? In all, it’s fascinating too see how far from perfect we are even with the best of the best (e.g. basically playing with resonances location and damping because there’s no way to do without these even in open headphones construction).

I’ll find a way to listen to these but the price reinforces my belief that high quality desktop / nearfield speaker setup is a cheaper (and possibly more accurate) route these days.

arnaud

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #291 of 647
glad to see that this thread has been unlocked and that forum members again have the opportunity to post their thoughts and impressions of the new utopia here :relaxed:

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #294 of 647
Sep 16, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #296 of 647
Oh well. It seems I'm out of luck. I owned the old Utopia. I thought it had a lot going for it - glorious mids, excellent bass. But polite top end and claustrophobic. Doesn't cut the mustard with classical music. I had high hopes, but it seems the new one might be worse! Chasing the Harman demographic perhaps ...

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #297 of 647
Oh well. It seems I'm out of luck. I owned the old Utopia. I thought it had a lot going for it - glorious mids, excellent bass. But polite top end and claustrophobic. Doesn't cut the mustard with classical music. I had high hopes, but it seems the new one might be worse! Chasing the Harman demographic perhaps ...
I disagree. Utopia is honest. It presents the music wide where it's recorded wide, narrow where it is recorded narrow. If you want artificially wide sound, get a HD800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back