(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Jan 30, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #361 of 1,334
You need to solder wire legs where those legs broke of and run those wires through the traces, now this may be very hard if not impossible to do.
Your cheapest way out is to order another musses02.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400418607953&alt=web
Good luck.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #362 of 1,334
There's a reason Fiio sells the E12 DIY, bro
wink_face.gif

Good luck fixing your E12A!

Yeah...just thought I could do it with this one as well. damn...

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #363 of 1,334
You need to solder wire legs where those legs broke of and run those wires through the traces, now this may be very hard if not impossible to do.
Your cheapest way out is to order another musses02.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400418607953&alt=web
Good luck.

This is not fixable is it? The leg on the other side is also in the same condition...

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #364 of 1,334
Try to not stress out about it, I have broken stuff in my learning quests (as long as you don't do it again) , just remember to always grab the data sheet and check compatibility, the musses02 has very soft copper legs, be very careful and don't touch them when their in place.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #365 of 1,334
Ok, this can be fixed, with a good quality soldering iron and solder (preferably an smd iron) , you need to hold the unit on its side so the solder beads on the edge.
First try and tin the chip where you see the but of metal. This is putting a little bit of solder in the break then.
Use the iron heat to push the leg back and heat the top of the break while feading the solder, only use a bit. The solder should stick the leg back

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #366 of 1,334
I bought this amp after much research. I was deciding between the Cayin C5 and E12A, but the E12A pretty much won me over after reading this post + the sweet price I got for the E12A easily settled the debate (I practiacally paid half what I would have paid for the C5!)

Now, this is my very first amp and I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing things right.
I'm using my Sony Xperia Z3 compact for music...and using the headphone jack for now. I've noticed slight hissing at very few occasions, especially when changing tracks on the player. From what I've read, this is not the recommended way of using the amp because of the double amping going on. Probably explains the unusual fatigue I feel after a listening session with this setup.

I'm not a fan of DAPs to be honest, and I'd rather stick to my smartphone for convenience.
So do I really need a DAC to complete my setup?
From what I've read, the Xperia Z3 seems to be one of the few smartphones that has an audio driver that natively supports HD decoding (source). Is there a way to make use of this?

Basically, how do I make the most out of my new amp, with minimal additional costs?

Cheers!

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #367 of 1,334
  I bought this amp after much research. I was deciding between the Cayin C5 and E12A, but the E12A pretty much won me over after reading this post + the sweet price I got for the E12A easily settled the debate (I practiacally paid half what I would have paid for the C5!)

Now, this is my very first amp and I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing things right.
I'm using my Sony Xperia Z3 compact for music...and using the headphone jack for now. I've noticed slight hissing at very few occasions, especially when changing tracks on the player. From what I've read, this is not the recommended way of using the amp because of the double amping going on. Probably explains the unusual fatigue I feel after a listening session with this setup.

I'm not a fan of DAPs to be honest, and I'd rather stick to my smartphone for convenience.
From what I've read, the Xperia Z3 seems to be one of the few smartphones that has an audio driver that natively supports HD decoding (source). Is there a way to make use of this?

Basically, how do I make the most out of my new amp, with minimal additional costs?

Cheers!

I couldn't find a line-out from USB solution for the Z3, but that might solve your problems. I've seen someone managed to plug an E7K to their Xperia Z Ultra, so you might wanna go check that thread out, or maybe try the HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC for Android as an alternative solution. I also doubt the Xperia's native HD decoding makes an audiable difference, but I'm on the 192/24-is-bull**** camp, so that's my personal opinion.

I advise trying some different player apps too, such as Poweramp (tinker with its playback settings) to try and mitigate the hiss.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #368 of 1,334

Cheers!

You could try Walkman>> Settings>> Sound Effects (Audio Settings>> enable Hi-Res Audio via USB

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #370 of 1,334
I got a chance after an extremely busy week to sit back and relax last night in a comfortable chair and listen to a few CD's I bought this week. I was using the FiiO X3, E12A and the B&W P7's and the sound was wonderful, I definitely think my Westone W40's and B&W P7's sound better with the E12A than with the E12. I have nothing but love for the E12, as it does a great job driving my planar headphones but to my ears the E12A sounds more neutral/clean and there's no question that it has a blacker background with no noise at all with any of my IEM's. FiiO did a wonderful job with the E12A.   

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #371 of 1,334
I wasn't impressed with X5 from the beginning of my purchase. X5 sound is weird. Slow, not detailed bass, smooth mids (sometimes even dull), sometimes a little sibilant vocal.
X5+UE900 = Boring, leaking bass details, sometimes a little sibilant vocal, sometimes too much mids.
X5+Fidelio X1 = Too much smooth mids, clumsy boomy mid bass, sometimes distorted highs.
X5+ATH-IM70 = Boring, leaking bass details.
X5+XBA-H3 = Well, it's ok..
Then I switched to X5+E12A and it looks like E12A fixed all X5 problem.
X5+E12A(Bass=OFF)+UE900 = a little more details, much better coherent sound, sweet vocal, good mids, and very detailed bass, no more sibilant on vocal, wow.
X5+E12A(Bass=OFF)+Fidelio X1 = good bass details, good mids, good highs, good sound.
X5+E12A(Bass=OFF)+ATH-IM70 = not to much changed..
X5+E12A(Bass=OFF)+H3 = better than ok, better bass. better vocal.
FiiO grew up to next level, I'm now very excited to see new FiiO's products, I hope that X7 will be a even better than X5+E12A :), also I really want to try X3k with Cirrus Logic...

My favorite rig at the moment:

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #373 of 1,334
I myself am also interested in knowing this. I'm getting that DAC soon and not really sure what to pair it up with (driving IEMs); currently thinking of the Fiio E6...

I've been there. FiiO E6 it's a No No with the Android Sabre DAC. I have both, and I can notice sound clipping (noise) on higher frequencies. For it to work ok, I need to put E6 in EQ3, the "low gain" setting.

So, I've bought Topping NX1. It's on a different level than E6, much better. But it has no EQs that E6 has. Well, NX1 pairs very well with the Android Sabre DAC! Very neutral amp. Using it with Havi B3 pro I. Very good overall pairing group!

Wondering if the E12A could be the next amp to go to next level. But...it probably won't be with Android Sabre DAC...HifimeDIY has a new top of the line DAC, the Sabre ES9018K2M. But its 3 times the price of the Android DAC...

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #374 of 1,334
Would like to note I had the PC version of the Sabre DAC along with the E06 and only experienced clipping at 100% volume output. It's a known DAC issue, not the amplifier's problem. Been using that combo with IEMs, normally at 25% volume, and was pretty happy with the sound.
I gave the E06 to a friend since I bought the E12A, so unfortunately I don't have anything to compare the DAC+E12A combo to. :x

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #375 of 1,334
Thank you both for your answers. I'll wait and see how the DAC and the E6 pair myself before buying anything new (either E12a or NX1) to go along with it. If the DAC doesn't get rid of the high noise at low volume playback with low impedance IEMs I'd be disappointed anyway. I'm not the only one that buys a DAC to get rid of noise during playback, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back