New: EarStudio HUD100 Hi-Fi USB DAC
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 53
Also, no indication of onboard EQ for this unit, right? Personally that's a much bigger selling point than the balanced output. The ES100's EQ implementation and app support are what set it apart from competitors.

Agreed. Would be cool to see this with the same kind of EQ as the ES100.

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 53
Exciting! I love my ES100. But one of the things that I like the best is Radsone's proprietary EQ that is some of the best EQ I have heard anywhere.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #23 of 53
Isn't the EQ an App based feature? so I would expect that to be included on the package.

2.5mm output, per the pictures, it does come with 3.5 and 2.5.

Edit: sorry, my bad, no 2.5mm. interesting choice in exchange of a high power output. I think it will please a broader range of users with that output.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 53
I got to spend some time with the HUD100 at CamJam, it sound excellent but at a MSRP of $180 they asking to much money
Maybe Amazon will sell it cheaper when it come out next month. It has two output one is low and the other is a high output.
Not sure why they didn't have one output and have a low/high toggle switch.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 53
I got to spend some time with the HUD100 at CamJam, it sound excellent but at a MSRP of $180 they asking to much money
Maybe Amazon will sell it cheaper when it come out next month. It has two output one is low and the other is a high output.
Not sure why they didn't have one output and have a low/high toggle switch.

This was my impression too. It sounds great for how small it is. Considering how powerful it is (especially relative to the size), it’s also very quiet with zero noise if I remember correctly. Sounds quite nice. And so tiny; like could nearly or probably put this in your wallet haha. It could literally go on some people’s keychains if there was a hole for it.

Agreed that they have priced it too high, though maybe for someone without a DAC or amp at all, this might be a good starter piece of equipment if priced under $150 or $120?

They did offer me open box unit on the last day for 50% off, which was tempting...so tempting.

edit: I also tested and confirmed this will work with an apple lightning to USB adapter too via an iPhone, which was neatttt!
Also, it works without an external power supply; as in, it works whist connected straight to the apple connector - no power issues etc. from iOS, and no camera kit adapter + power supply needed, if anyone was worried about not being able to use it via iPhone. I imagine when the new iPhones come out with usb-c, this will be even more convenient...and probably cheaper?

Anyways, neat little DAC/Amp. Would love to see some test measurements of this thing.

Also, shout out to the two people running the booth for earstudio - thanks for letting me listen and for being so patient. Kinda regret not buying the open box unit, now that I think about it, but there’s always another time : ).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #26 of 53
This was my impression too. It sounds great for how small it is. Considering how powerful it is (especially relative to the size), it’s also very quiet with zero noise if I remember correctly. Sounds quite nice. And so tiny; like could nearly or probably put this in your wallet haha. It could literally go on some people’s keychains if there was a hole for it.

Agreed that they have priced it too high, though maybe for someone without a DAC or amp at all, this might be a good starter piece of equipment if priced under $150 or $120?

They did offer me open box unit on the last day for 50% off, which was tempting...so tempting.

edit: I also tested and confirmed this will work with an apple lightning to USB adapter too via an iPhone, which was neatttt!
Also, it works without an external power supply; as in, it works whist connected straight to the apple connector - no power issues etc. from iOS, and no camera kit adapter + power supply needed, if anyone was worried about not being able to use it via iPhone. I imagine when the new iPhones come out with usb-c, this will be even more convenient...and probably cheaper?

Anyways, neat little DAC/Amp. Would love to see some test measurements of this thing.

Also, shout out to the two people running the booth for earstudio - thanks for letting me listen and for being so patient. Kinda regret not buying the open box unit, now that I think about it, but there’s always another time : ).
Does it drain your device's battery?

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #27 of 53
Really enjoying this little guy so far! The sound is very clean and it has gobs of output power. Another thing I really like compared to other USB dongle DACs is that it doesn't get hot - only slightly warm.

DSC_4845_result.JPG

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #28 of 53
Does it drain your device's battery?
Anything connected to your phone or computer as an external device without an external power supply (as is our case here with the DAC/amp) will technically ‘drain’ the battery, even if a little. How much it will drain depends on the device, of course.

My time with it was too short to give you a reliable answer. I’ll defer to current users or Radsone (they have a support email on their site), who may be able to provide more details.

Maybe @crabdog can let us know when they get a chance to test it with their phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back