NEW EARSONICS "PURPLE"
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #46 of 86
Any comparisons with the BGVP/Moondrop/Fearless Audio IEMS that are flavor of the month, and frequency response graphs would also be insightful?
I heard these purple and I just sold my S8F.
While fearless are very good I feel that Purple are more aligned with my taste. More natural.
I started to like Earsonics product since S-em9, not before and I believe these purple and above all EM64 are great (fantastic) IEMs

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #47 of 86
I heard these purple and I just sold my S8F.
While fearless are very good I feel that Purple are more aligned with my taste. More natural.
I started to like Earsonics product since S-em9, not before and I believe these purple and above all EM64 are great (fantastic) IEMs
Would you rate EM64 above Purple?
Why do you think these are great? If you can give some more details, I've not see too many impressions until now.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #48 of 86
@cfc7 I am eager to get an audition of the Purple even if I am not really in the market for a universal...

About the EM64 I highly recommend @Deezel177 EM64 review on THL, it actually is the reason why I purchased the EM64 and the review is spot on on every count. I rate the EM64 as high as the VE8 and the Phantom, it has a unique tuning featuring top tier detail retrieval with stunning transients (almost up there with electrostat goodness of the KSE1500), while being so very musical and full bodied... Those are very special IEMs.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #49 of 86
@cfc7 I am eager to get an audition of the Purple even if I am not really in the market for a universal...

About the EM64 I highly recommend @Deezel177 EM64 review on THL, it actually is the reason why I purchased the EM64 and the review is spot on on every count. I rate the EM64 as high as the VE8 and the Phantom, it has a unique tuning featuring top tier detail retrieval with stunning transients (almost up there with electrostat goodness of the KSE1500), while being so very musical and full bodied... Those are very special IEMs.
Thanks, I've read it, I saw the post in the shootout thread where I've also read your impressions about the EM64 but a direct comparison with the Velvet v2, which I have, will help a lot.
My main concern about a very technical IEM with great transients is that could lack some body, fullness and musicality.
I understand this is not the case whith EM64 though, which sounds good.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #50 of 86

Thanks David! I was fortunate enough to listen to the Purple as well at CanJam Singapore 2019. Here are my impressions:

EarSonics Purple: The Purple’s Tight setting posits outstanding definition, detail retrieval and spatial performance. The soundscape is remarkably transparent. But at the same time, it’s all delivered effortlessly and coherently. There aren’t any egregious treble peaks or unnatural dips – everything sounds seamlessly joined. Listening to tracks like Royce da 5’9”’s Caterpillar or God Speed, the high-pitched whines and whooshes at the very back of the mix come through with stunning clarity. But, this is accompanied by depth and holography too. No detail is ever forced; simply highlighted.

The midrange and treble sit evenly with each other, with a couple key peaks for clarity and articulation. The bass sits further back, but high extension yields great impact regardless. Hits feel tight and compact, with sufficient physicality for all genres of music. The bias towards the treble does leave its tone squarely neutral-bright, though. Stereo separation, imaging precision and holography are all stunning. The entire image feels cohesively put together; tirelessly rehearsed. As I touched upon in my EM64 review, every instrument sounds like they start and stop at the very same time. It’s a stunning achievement, and I can see the Purple becoming a favourite for analysts and pros, in this setting especially.

With Standard, there seems to be a touch less treble bite. It’s a more linear signature that sits more towards neutral in tone. I’d probably call it a more forgiving variant of Tight, whilst retaining most of its technical faculties. Stage expansion isn’t perhaps as holographic as the layers (depth-wise, especially) are spaced closer together. Regardless, I think it’s a great alternative for professionals who want the precision and definition of the Tight setting with less fatigue and bite.

Warm seems to bring the upper-mids forward, along with the bass. There’s far more liveliness and intimacy with this setting, but I wouldn’t say it’s warmer or fuller in any way. Overall tone remains neutral, because the low-end is more sub-bass-driven than mid-bass. The previously vast stage is now more filled with larger, closer instruments. This is a setting that’s more musical, more fun to listen to and more akin to the EM64. Again, I wouldn’t call this signature warm by any means, but it does make for an excellent all-rounder – shades of Tight’s technical prowess with a dose of fun.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #51 of 86
The Purple is an impressive IEM. I have found myself settling on the warm setting. This is certainly one of the most neutral"ish" IEMs I have, eventhough I am using the warm setting. The Purple takes the Velvet and ups the ante in all facets, especially in it's clarity. I enjoy the sense of added sub bass in warm mode. The magic of the Purple is showcased in it's mids, upper mids and treble. The signature is crisp, and snappy. There is air surrounding the bass notes without any added color, so while there is not a ton of bass quantity, you can hear the notes. Not stale or lacking in the ability to make you bob your head in time with the music.
A full review is forthcoming in the next couple of weeks.
20190418_071916.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #52 of 86
Thanks David! I was fortunate enough to listen to the Purple as well at CanJam Singapore 2019. Here are my impressions:

EarSonics Purple: The Purple’s Tight setting posits outstanding definition, detail retrieval and spatial performance. The soundscape is remarkably transparent. But at the same time, it’s all delivered effortlessly and coherently. There aren’t any egregious treble peaks or unnatural dips – everything sounds seamlessly joined. Listening to tracks like Royce da 5’9”’s Caterpillar or God Speed, the high-pitched whines and whooshes at the very back of the mix come through with stunning clarity. But, this is accompanied by depth and holography too. No detail is ever forced; simply highlighted.

The midrange and treble sit evenly with each other, with a couple key peaks for clarity and articulation. The bass sits further back, but high extension yields great impact regardless. Hits feel tight and compact, with sufficient physicality for all genres of music. The bias towards the treble does leave its tone squarely neutral-bright, though. Stereo separation, imaging precision and holography are all stunning. The entire image feels cohesively put together; tirelessly rehearsed. As I touched upon in my EM64 review, every instrument sounds like they start and stop at the very same time. It’s a stunning achievement, and I can see the Purple becoming a favourite for analysts and pros, in this setting especially.

With Standard, there seems to be a touch less treble bite. It’s a more linear signature that sits more towards neutral in tone. I’d probably call it a more forgiving variant of Tight, whilst retaining most of its technical faculties. Stage expansion isn’t perhaps as holographic as the layers (depth-wise, especially) are spaced closer together. Regardless, I think it’s a great alternative for professionals who want the precision and definition of the Tight setting with less fatigue and bite.

Warm seems to bring the upper-mids forward, along with the bass. There’s far more liveliness and intimacy with this setting, but I wouldn’t say it’s warmer or fuller in any way. Overall tone remains neutral, because the low-end is more sub-bass-driven than mid-bass. The previously vast stage is now more filled with larger, closer instruments. This is a setting that’s more musical, more fun to listen to and more akin to the EM64. Again, I wouldn’t call this signature warm by any means, but it does make for an excellent all-rounder – shades of Tight’s technical prowess with a dose of fun.
Daniel I do not have the EM64. You feel the warm mode on the Purple would bring me somewhat close to the overall signature and tone of the EM64?

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #55 of 86
I will post pretty soon.
Too much work this week .

May 5, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #57 of 86
Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #58 of 86

Oh yeah!
Off to reading a coffee break is due :)

Edit : Great read, congrats on the review :clap:

"crystal clear, transparent, dynamic signature, in Tight Mode" => I have not heard the Purple but it sounds like a brother to the EM64 except from what you describe in tight mode, you'll get sub bass on top that looks more like the warm mode you experienced (probably a bit less on the fun side than the Purple though, from what I have gathered from people who heard both).

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #59 of 86
Oh yeah!
Off to reading a coffee break is due :)

Edit : Great read, congrats on the review :clap:

"crystal clear, transparent, dynamic signature, in Tight Mode" => I have not heard the Purple but it sounds like a brother to the EM64 except from what you describe in tight mode, you'll get sub bass on top that looks more like the warm mode you experienced (probably a bit less on the fun side than the Purple though, from what I have gathered from people who heard both).
Thank you David...I enjoy the Purple

Users who are viewing this thread

Back