NEW EARSONICS "PURPLE"
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 86
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 86
I can share very initial impressions:

• The level they've reached after the original Velvet is simply impressive.
  • This one has nothing to do with the original Velvet, no midbass absence, no digital presentation, great resolution and transparency.
  • To me it's simply better than the ES-5 which I compared side by side on last Saturday, especially in terms of resolution and crispness.
  • It's still not reference, has that ES flavor in it, especially when it's on the warm mode.
So overall I'm impressed. It has slight weaknesses too. But I will get into details in the review which will be published until the end of this month.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #18 of 86
Thank you for this first impression. I agree with you... Rich, crisp, transparent are the words that come in mind.

I also find the warm mode to work better for a more balanced tonality...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 86
Virtu Fortuna wrote : "To me it's simply better than the ES-5..." and "It has slight weaknesses too."
What is better than the ES-5?
What kind of weaknesses? :disappointed:

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #22 of 86
I've them since yesterday and compared to the EM64 and EM10 I can undoubtedly say EarSonics tuned that Purple with genius: laid back presentation, transparency (oh those mids!), excellent bass attack and highs extension. Well, for those who look for a more frontal sound stage and a higher level of involvement, the EM64 are a beast.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 86
Always happy to see a new velvet/ES series type of shell- one of the most comfortable IEM designs for my ears (annoying non-flanged nozzle notwithstanding) .

Looking forward to Purple vs ES sound comparisons as well.

I've noticed a few things in common between the two ES I've had (have not tried ES3), and am curious if anyone has noted as well or my brain is just making up nonsense :

• 1) more open/"atmospheric" sounding presentation compared to more pinpoint precise but "contained" S-EM9.
  • 2) ES2 and ES5 seem to have more enjoyable timbral quality ( would describe as midrange 'liquidity' or something) noticable w/ some acoustic instruments compared to S-EM9 (which I would say more tonally balanced if not accurate).
Interesting...few months ago I was asking if there will be a new release from the signature serie.
I've been using the Velvet v2 for almost 2 years and I'm really curious if this Purple will be a real improvement over the Velvet, especially for the timbre and tonality because I think I've started to miss the DD sound for this.

I've noticed I'm using the Sony N3 with a balanced cable more often than the Velvet lately...the coherency is really good and the BA is not aggressive at all. The Velvet is brighter/strident.

So the Purple has 2 more drivers but also the price almost doubled...waiting for some impressions.

Never tried velvet, but personally would possibly consider N3 "better" overall IEM than ES2 or ES5 (ES5 signature is kind of similar in concept to N3 I think), especially if value/pricing is taken into account. The ESs each have a certain quality that takes them to another level if the stars are aligned, but were I forced to chose only one IEM to use for a few years...

...it would be an ER4, but N3 would be in the conversation :speak_no_evil:

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #24 of 86
Sony N3 has the best bass I've ever heard in an IEM. I dont't think any BA driver can compete with it.

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #26 of 86
I'm listening to music with the Purple for a week and I'm really amazed by those very exciting IEM! I'm comparing them to my EM10, VE8 or EM64 and each time I'm telling myself the Purple have something with emotion and dynamic. Hard to stay still with them!

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #27 of 86
Hello,

Here’s my feedback about the purple after two weeks of use. I mainly used them plugged to my Earsonics Birdy and the Hidizs ap 80 for on the go listening sessions.

Design and fit

For those already knowing the Velvet design, but later the ES2 and ES3, those share exactly the same kind of shape wich is, to my ears, almost perfect in terms of fit and comfort. As usual, they are really well built and beautifull with the back transparent shell showing the red driver for the right side. In the front faceplate, you’ll find the adgustment knob letting you choose between bright, standard and warm mode.

Signature

I mainly tried one mode, the warm one, which was almost to my, ears, the most balanced. For me, the standard mode that I tried first, lacked a little bit of bass quantity and reminded me a little bit the first EM6. In warm mode, I found the sound to be extremely well balanced, lively, transparent, fast, very detailled but still musical…

Bass

Quantity bass ist o my ears a little bit less than a lot of ES IEM’s that I owned. They aren’t overpointed like in the EM32 (sub bass), they have less meat than the EM10 low medium, upper bass transition but they are incredibly controlled, tight, natural, detailled, layered with subtile texture, nice slam, lot of air, way more air than the EM10 and also quite nice rumble when music asks for it.

Medium

To my ears, it’s were they really shine, medium are beautifull from bottom to top… natural, very detailled, rich. Top medium/low treble transition is energic but never harsh, giving female voice, a very realistic sense of informations. Timbre are really beautifull, saxophones, guitars and piano are transcripted in a very cohesive, organic and natural way. This part of the spectrum reminds me a lot the Grace presentation.

Treble

Very sparckly, detailled, rich, well extended, never harsh, cymballs are so realistic, giving a sense of space due to the capacity of transcripting a lot of micro details. Cymballs in „straight no chaser“ from DR. Lonnie Smith „Evolution“ album is a pure pleasure…

Soundstage/imaging/separation/technicity

Soundstage is quite large and high but mostly very deep. There’s a real « out of the head » feeling, way more spacious than the EM10 that are more 2D. Here’ we have a really hollographic type of sound but in the same way, they remains coherent. Separation between instruments is just incredibly precise, giving a real « Z » axis feeling… a little bit like in the Isine20 IEM that I own… like an open back can, they manage to give so much micro space details. It’s one oft he strenght of this IEM.

Another strenght of this iem is the contrast capacity, there’s a lot of energy and dynamism giving a sense of life in every music playing through them… The IEM is really polyvalent and is capable to adapt itself with every kind of music.

In conclusion, the Purple reminds me a lot of the Grace, their technical capacity is evident and to my ears, they are superiors to the EM10 that I own that are more thick, giving a more « congested » sense of space… here with the Purple, we have the opposite, a very big space feeling but without sacrifying the richness of the timbre from bottom to top. The weel knob also let you choose a more bright or midcentric signature, keeping the overall tecnical capacity wich is a real « Plus » for those searching for this tipe of sound tonality. BRAVO EARSONICS !

IMG_4754.jpg
IMG_4755.jpg
IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_4757.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #28 of 86
@sly_in_the_sky Thanks for the mini review and nice pics! From what I have read the Purple is a departure from the Velvet signature with some kinship to the Grace. Looks like a very interresting IEM :)

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #29 of 86
Hi @sly_in_the_sky I'm currently writing my French/English review and I share your thoughts, except regarding the comparison with the EM10 which are to more refined but yet less spatial in depth. EarSonics reaches another performance's level with the Purple which are with the EM64 their best bang for the buck for now.

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #30 of 86
After reading all of the comments I am really getting excited to hear the Purple. I will compare it to the EM10 and the Grace. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back