Earsonics ES5 impressions thread!
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 110
Hmm it's the pairing I guess. They're definitely not bright or boomy to my ears.
Bass is similar to SM9, upper mids are slightly tamed and mids are slightly recessed.
Attack/Decay is very impressive, lows are snappy and impactful at the same time.

Review coming soon ^^

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 110
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share my first impressions about them... I received it yesterday so, as I said, it’s only a first impression.

First their design and fit: They look very professional, quality is top notch. I like the fact that as the velvet, you can see the internal components, everything is at his place, clean... I like the red driver...

The fit and isolation is also very good and suited to my ears.

To me, having had EM4, EM6, EM 32, Sem9, EM10, the SE5 are a kind of mix between them... First thing that blew me is the transparency and the feeling of space you hae with them... The soundstage is wide and really deep... I have the Senn HD 800s and in this regards, it reminds me a little bit the same kind of presentation. Really 3D and realistic at the same time. Instrument Separation and details are top notch. All is layered in a very cohesive way, very airy, detailled and opened sound.

Another surprising quality that is the dynamics... the contrasts are very high, precise, stricts, fast... Very realistic!

I also find that all these technical quality don’t affect at all the musicality... They also manage to give an organic and liquid sound.

I’ll say that their technicity are in the service of musicality.

I’ll post more informations later. (Tonality)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #18 of 110
So why do they tune them for bassheads...I don't understand the tendency to make almost all TOTL IEMs with an excessive amount of bass . I do not expect etymotic type of bass but not that amount..looks like the s-em6 v2 is the only way to go in case of Earsonics

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 110
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share my first impressions about them... I received it yesterday so, as I said, it’s only a first impression.

First their design and fit: They look very professional, quality is top notch. I like the fact that as the velvet, you can see the internal components, everything is at his place, clean... I like the red driver...

The fit and isolation is also very good and suited to my ears.

To me, having had EM4, EM6, EM 32, Sem9, EM10, the SE5 are a kind of mix between them... First thing that blew me is the transparency and the feeling of space you hae with them... The soundstage is wide and really deep... I have the Senn HD 800s and in this regards, it reminds me a little bit the same kind of presentation. Really 3D and realistic at the same time. Instrument Separation and details are top notch. All is layered in a very cohesive way, very airy, detailled and opened sound.

Another surprising quality that is the dynamics... the contrasts are very high, precise, stricts, fast... Very realistic!

I also find that all these technical quality don’t affect at all the musicality... They also manage to give an organic and liquid sound.

I’ll say that their technicity are in the service of musicality.

I’ll post more informations later. (Tonality)

Thank you for your impression. Can you compare with S-EM9? In terms of bass,treble and resolution.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 110
You are welcome...

I only can make a comparison by memory. I don’t have the Sem9 anymore.

I can surely say that they share the same type of sound... by memory, they share the same amount of details, resolution... Bass are on both well controlled, textured and airy... Treble is incedibly detailled, precise, sparkly... But never bright... Transitions between high medium and low treble is sweet as on every ES. No signs of sibillance... To my ears, they share both a very balanced type of sound signature. By memory, they have a lot in common.

Hope it can help.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 110
Here are some pics...

ES5-20102017-1-GV.jpg
ES5-20102017-2-GV.jpg
ES5-20102017-3-GV.jpg
ES5-20102017-4-GV.jpg
ES5-20102017-5-GV.jpg

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #26 of 110
There’s plenty of details, from low to high frequencies.... more detailled than Em32, perhaps on par with Sem9 but even if it’s detailled, I find them not to sound thin...

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 110
There’s plenty of details, from low to high frequencies.... more detailled than Em32, perhaps on par with Sem9 but even if it’s detailled, I find them not to sound thin...
are the S-Em9 thicker sounding then???

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #28 of 110
Not having the Sem9 anymore, it’s difficult to answer precisely but I’ll say that they are on par, perhaps a little bit more « meat » in the medium on the Se5.

I also find the Se5 to be a little bit more airy... not had this sensation of openess with the Sem9.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #29 of 110
Not having the Sem9 anymore, it’s difficult to answer precisely but I’ll say that they are on par, perhaps a little bit more « meat » in the medium on the Se5.

I also find the Se5 to be a little bit more airy... not had this sensation of openess with the Sem9.

Maybe it's a slight more V shaped???

I'll see what I can do and request my local store to get a copy and do 1vs1 comparison but that might take a bit of time.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #30 of 110
Perhaps yes but I deffinitly not call both Iems V shaped at all... To my ears, they are ballanced with some « nuances » here and there...

Also I said:

« I also find the Se5 to be a little bit more airy... not had this sensation of openess with the Sem9. »

I want to precise that the Sem9 have a real 3d sound, really opened but seems to me that the ES5 presentation are even a little bit more 3d...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back