Earsonics ES5 impressions thread!
Oct 26, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #31 of 110
Perhaps yes but I deffinitly not call both Iems V shaped at all... To my ears, they are ballanced with some « nuances » here and there...

Also I said:

« I also find the Se5 to be a little bit more airy... not had this sensation of openess with the Sem9. »

I want to precise that the Sem9 have a real 3d sound, really opened but seems to me that the ES5 presentation are even a little bit more 3d...

I misquoted. The s-em9 sounded pretty even and has a couple areas of particular details. I'm totally smitten over the bass and detailed lower mids. But what you're saying sounds really promising! Would love to see how vocals perform on this one...

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #32 of 110
Vocals sound quite natural and full with perhaps a touch of clarity in the high medium but without any trace of sibilance at all. The result is a lot of details, timbres and texture are to my ears beautifull...

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #33 of 110
Here is myquick review about the new Earsonic's release, the SE5.

I don't want to speak too much about the package, the design and quality of these Iem's, I think that my picture speaks by themself. All I can say is that they feel solid, the shell is like the Velvet or the Se2 and 3. They are quite tinny and really confortable.

I made my impressions using them with my Hidizs ap60 and my Mojo Chord. The Se5 are really easy to drive, they take just a little margin of benefit when plugged in the Mojo. The Ap 60 drive them really easily....

General impressions:

The first impression that comes in mind when you first listen to them is the fact that they are really balanced, transparents, lively, dynamic, airy, detailled and 3d Iems. They remind me a lot of the Sem9 that I don't have anymore.

Bass:

Incredible layered, controlled and fast bass... They present a very textured bass, very detailled and airy with many rumble in the sub bass when music call for it. Extentions are beautifull and natural. Slams hard also when music call for it... There´s a good quantity of bass and sub-bass but not enough to call them bass-head Iems. For example, the Em32 has much more sub-bass and bass, perhaps to much sometimes. I'll say that the quantity of bass is on par with the Sem9 and the Em10.

Medium:

Mediums are very organics, natural, beautiful and lively. They have more "meat" than the Em32, a little bit more than the Sem9 but less than the Em10. Voices seems mor clear on the SE5 than the Em10, the Em10 have more weight in the lower medium, giving the impression to have more substance. Timbres are realistics, detailled. Low medium hits hard when needed... transition between medium and high is sweet but energic, more energic than the Em10, perhaps at the level of the Em32.... but never sound harsh or sibilant...

High:

Incredibly energic, sparkly but sweets, precise, detailed... more sweet than the Em32. Extensions are realistic, organics, with endless cymbals... They sometimes remind me of the HD 800s treble.

Soundstage/imaging:

Very 3d like. Soundstage is quite large with lot of depth, layering is quite impressive. Everything seems coherent but I must admit that in this regard, even if I like this kind of imaging for some types of music, the Em10 are perhaps less 3d but presents things in an even more coherent way. The SE5 have an "out of the head" presentation, like if you were listening to an opened headphone. It sometimes remind me of my HD 800s. Soundstage is bigger than the Em32, specially the depth.

Instrument separation is incredible... but still coherent. The air between instruments give a sense of coherence, musicality and unity. When difficult tracks are played, the SE5 is capable of managing everything with quite authority, without difficulty.

Conclusion:

I think that the SE5 are a kind of mixture between technicity and musicality...I would say that it shares some technical strength of the Sem9 and some musical strength of the Em10. It stands between the two... It's a kind of cameleon, capable to play all kind of music, from Jazz, to electro, classic, rock... without any problem... To me, one of the best ES Iem... When comparing to the Sem9 price wise, I will probably go with the Se5. It shares the 95% of Sem9 capacity in a little bit more musical way. Almost to my ears... BRAVO Earsonics!

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #34 of 110
Is the shell the same size as ES2? Looks pretty much the same. Really like the ES2 shell w/ some Shure foams.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #35 of 110
I didn’t had the Es2 but if it’s the same than Es3 that I had, yes it’s the same shape... also the same than the Velvet.

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #37 of 110
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #38 of 110
I owned the Velvets for years, and adored them, with their boomy bass, but clean/clear upper presentation when set to the right mode....

I should be receiving my ES5's on Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll write up a review as well. Earsonics have always been the best customer service, and supportive IEM company I've dealt with. Love this company. Cant wait to hear the evolution of this design.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #39 of 110
Almost tempted to sell S-EM9 for ES5, I've had them for a while and never quite adjusted to the fit, while for my ears the ES2 with olive foams is nearly as good as it gets for a universal.

Don't like to lose any bass though. Also wonder RE: Aero's review's congestion comment, if this is similar to how, relative to EM9 the ES2 also has an expansive soundstage that tends to get blurred with busy passages- on the other hand S-EM9 is remarkable in how pinpoint it is in placement, so a small decrease in that ability might not be such a bad compromise.

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #40 of 110
Here is my initial take on the ES5s.

Firstly, their customer service at EarSonics is just awesome. After talking with them, and then purchasing my set directly from them, it only took 2 days to get from France to my home in the Eastern USA.

Never have I been more pleased with dealing with customer service. They were very inquisitive about why I was needing another pair of headphones, and it almost sounded like they were trying to talk me out of it, but ultimately, all of their questioning was so they could recommend an offering that suited my needs and my assumptions, rather than just trying to sell me an expensive piece of equipment. They learn their customer in order to sell their product. I respect that.

After explaining to them that I loved the Velvets, they asked why. The Velvet's were really 2 separate headphones for me, because I listened to them in 2 modes. The knob all the way to the open/airy side, or dialed a little over halfway to the warmer/bass heavy side - usually if there was a lot of outside noise..... but either way, I enjoyed the 2 modes of the Velvet, where there was an open and airy room, where the higher frequency transients could float about the powerful house-y basslines. But the only problem I found with that setting, was that there was too much air at times, it would feel too loose, and too empty. When you adjusted the knob on the Velvets, it would decrease the size of the room, which in turn made everything feel more full and full of bass. This could produce a muddy atmosphere sometimes depending on sound and genre. I had no problems adjusting the knob though, and enjoyed having the power to adjust the drivers on the fly, and that I could use one headphone for multiple genres, with only changing the dial.

The customer service rep half way laughed and said he was excited that I was such a happy customer, but when I asked him for another pair of Velvets (my previous pair had been stolen) , he responded with a "no" ! He denied me my favorite headphone of all time! He lamented and said he ultimately would send me another pair if he could not convince me that there is a better option out there for what I had described.

What he heard me like about the velvets was

"an open and immersive soundstage with fullness and richness of sound at all frequencies. with depth and texture at all volumes, and a bass experience that was capable of imploding my skull at any moment, but didnt bleed into the other frequency ranges. A mature bass that allowed for other frequencies to be heard and present, but maintained its presence and signature house feel." He said all of this in a french accent I could barely understand, and even his accent sounded sexy and rich, even through my iphone loud speaker.

I was sold.

Upon receiving the ES5s. I was nervous that they wouldn't be as pleasing and as awe inspiring as the Velvet was when I first received it. You see, the Velvet's were my first high dollar purchase in the Earphone market. I had purchased B&W Floor Speakers, and a nice amp/receiver for the room. And I had a good computer setup with a DAC and Headphone amp. When I received the iBasso P5 Falcon amp and the Velvet's, I was BLOWN away at how much better and different my music sounded while on a run or traveling on the train/plane. The change from iphone + $80 earbuds , to a VERY capable amp and $700 IEMs was exactly what I needed.

So was it instantly impactful? YES , but in a much more mature and connoisseur way.... meaning, its all the subtle changes and quality of all the small things that qualify this as being far superior. Moving from iphone earbuds to Earsonic Velvets was huge in that "holy crap the bass, omg, the soundstage, wow i can hear the singers spit in her mouth!" its just amazing at how much more sound there was from before. -- Moving from the Velvets to the ES5s -- is more of "oh wow, the balance of sub ranges to mid range is so much better, I dont notice any large spikes in volume or frequency, the soundstage is so much larger without wasting space, everything feels full and present, without stealing from its neighbors"

I've honestly been searching for a complaint this whole time, and the only thing I can come up with........ I miss having a knob to make me feel like I know what's better and can change it. But yet, I wouldnt change a thing, ever. It's been superior at every volume, and every genre. I just want my knob of ego/power trip/control.

So glad the customer support tech cared enough to sell me an item that I was hoping for, and not the item I thought I wanted.

TL;DR
Setup:
Source: Computer/Iphone
Amp: LYR2/Bifrost (Desktop) ; iBasso P5 Falcon (portable)

Everything about the headphone is awesome, VERY slight V shape to frequency shape. House/Bass Warm/Heavy Feel.... but subtle...... Very mature, very clean, very large soundstage with full presentation, no weird volume or frequency spikes. Very Fluid and consistent all the way through the presentation. Fast quick detail,, no specific flavor outside of the signature Earsonic's house presentation, but again, this is very mature, minimal and clean. Still neutral and clean, but with a fun dynamic presentation.

I'm in love @ day 2. Regretfully happy to replace my Earsonic Velvets. They're just as fun while being more mature, neutral and clean.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #41 of 110
Hello,

Thank you for your interestin feedback... I completely agree on how you describe them...

Glad you like them...

Enjoy!

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #42 of 110
Here is my initial take on the ES5s.

Firstly, their customer service at EarSonics is just awesome. After talking with them, and then purchasing my set directly from them, it only took 2 days to get from France to my home in the Eastern USA.

Did you manage to make a payment through their shop? I have never been able to get credit card checkout to work.

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #43 of 110
Did you manage to make a payment through their shop? I have never been able to get credit card checkout to work.

I've only ever ordered through customer service Emails or Phone calls, so that I can talk to them directly. You dont get any offers or have a chance to charm the customer service folks for recommendations or coupon codes..... other sales/promotions, etc.

Ordering straight from the website is too restrictive and error prone.

In my case, the first charge was denied by my bank in fear of fraudulent activity. So I had to call the bank and have them allow a charge from france. It took 2 attempts to charge my card, but since I had the dude on the phone, it was an immediate fix without weird HTML forms yelling bull at me.

Give em a call. if you have ~1000 Euros , ES5 is a great fun headphone Clean and clear and crisp enough to be analytical ......... punchy and fast enough to still be fun as hell. Best Universal IEM I've heard to date.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #44 of 110
Hello i just got my es5 yesterday, is a great sounding iem, is has very detailed but not cold highs, mature mids with great body but at the same time is neutral....is hard to explain:)and a bass that digs deep and is fast at the same time, the soundstage paired with the sp1000cu is 3D holographic

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #45 of 110
Is possible any comparsion EarSonics Velvet(v1) vs EarSonics ES5?
Please,more info...:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back