New earphone suggestions
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
I think not many people will even come close to owning all of those. Till this weekend, I will only have heard Miles Davis, IE8, FX-700 and SM3 only. Only people I know who come close to (almost) owning all of those include average Joe, Ericp10, Lucozade, Shigzeo and a few others.

how do u rank the ones u have heard so far?

Quote:

You really are better off explaining what you want to get out of your IEM's.  Everyone might have different priorities and that will make your ranking request pointless.

i just wanted to look how people rank these earphones according to their point of view....without any explanation of why they rank them the way they do....just to get an idea of which is one is mostly liked by people here...

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
like i said in the first post...i listen to different kinds of music...lots of classical rock and heavy metal....i listen to some electronic music too so bass is very important...i need overall balanced earphones that are not too uncomfortable for long use...durable too...

thats all i can say about what i need from my earphones....i cant explain it in technical terms or what kind of mids/lows i need....so if u want u can ask me any specific questions...for me my needs only go this far...

I think you should take the eq7's off the list for those genres, bass light perhaps.  Maybe replace ie7 w/ ie8?  The FX700 and DDM are slightly open if utmost isolation is important.  The MD's might bit a bit warm for metal and electronic if those are your main genres.  The others have more treble energy from my understanding.  The SM3 won't have the same fullbodied bass as the dynamics but it should be detailed, accurate and hit low.  Only your ears could determine if the SM3 bass is what you are looking for.  They probably would excel with electronic more than the others other than that though.  Tough choices....  

Side note, the Monsters don't sound their best at low volume w/o an amp.  They like power to bring out their best.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 26
I just ordered the Monster Pro Copper's from One Call for $250 calling and asking for the price I found on the forum..
The Monster Miles Davis is $320 and at $70 more I thought I would take the bargian...

That would say you $150 for next upgrade :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
I think you should take the eq7's off the list for those genres, bass light perhaps.  Maybe replace ie7 w/ ie8?  The FX700 and DDM are slightly open if utmost isolation is important.  The MD's might bit a bit warm for metal and electronic if those are your main genres.  The others have more treble energy from my understanding.  The SM3 won't have the same fullbodied bass as the dynamics but it should be detailed, accurate and hit low.  Only your ears could determine if the SM3 bass is what you are looking for.  They probably would excel with electronic more than the others other than that though.  Tough choices....  

Side note, the Monsters don't sound their best at low volume w/o an amp.  They like power to bring out their best.

thats the kind of response i was looking from people who have idea of what these iems sound like....this makes it easier for me make the list shorter....iam not looking to buy amps and i will be using these iems at lower sound too....that brings me to decide between..

ie8
fx700
sm3
md (maybe?)

is it ok to take the monsters out of the equation then given the above information?

isolation is not a BIG worry...it is important but i can live with less than perfect isolation...

in that case how do sm3 and fx700 compare? ie8 will be my fallback cheaper option...

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 26
3 Drivers doesn't always mean the phone is better. Sure they're good (I haven't heard of a multi driver IEM sounding bad; but that doesn't mean they just straight beat other dynamic driver phones. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #23 of 26
I agree with SolidVictory that it might be nice to slowly move up, as both he and I did, which did allow me to better appreciate the SM3.  However, I did hear the universal version of the UE11 at Can Jam in 2009 and was blown away, knowing they were so much better than my IE8, with a much better space, clarity, and bass impact (yes, BA bass impact).  I had fun along the way, but if I got the SM3 back then (they weren't available) and was done, that would have been fine also.  The SM3's gave me the same sense of power that I have only had surpassed by the FX700, but not by much.

As far as BAs vs dynamics, insertion depth and especially seal play a huge role in the amount and quality of bass.  I do have to admit, the SM3 is the first universal BA that has had what I would term visceral bass.  It can be done!  And from what I understand, all the high end customs also are capable of the same.  I am looking forward to hearing the EM3 Pro, as it has dual low frequency drivers; I would imagine it really can pump out the bass!

So, assuming you do want to spend the money, here are my recommendations:

SM3 - best true to the recording, good or bad, that I have heard.  Some of my metal is poorly mastered, and I really know it with the SM3 (although every high end IEM is much more revealing than the v-moda!  These can pump out very strong bass and have the best space I have heard from an IEM, period.  Very liquid presentation and comfortable.  These have the best isolation of the IEMs I am listing here.
FX700 - The FX700 is an excellent IEM and has great detail and clarity.  The sound signature is V shaped, meaning the bass and treble are both enhanced.  Nice wide soundstage, but isolation isn't the best.  Best dynamic I have heard, but not neutral.
MTPC - Nice balance, but does enhance the bass.  With any source other than my Rx, the soundstage is pretty small in comparison with the rest of my top-tier IEMs.  Compared to the SM3, these sound a little muddy and not as transparent or clear as the FX700.  A little on the slow side in comparison with the others.
RE252 - Since I cut off the ear guides and can get these things deeper in my ears, I have been impressed.  Think the Copper with less bass and additional clarity and speed.  I like these better than the IE8 for the most part.

I was thinking of posting a 'why not' list, but I don't want to go down that road.  You can PM me if you want some reasoning behind my thoughts.  And please do read the top-tier thread.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back