New earphone suggestions
Jun 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

umermajeed

Head-Fier
hi everyone..

i am new to this forum but i have been reading the reviews and other threads for some time.....i thought now is the time to get some suggestions about which earphones to get....

my last pair was a v-moda and i am looking for a big upgrade...

i will list the ones i know about and have read good reviews about.....i would appreciate it if you guys could pick me one out of those or suggest others that i dont know about....

i listen to some heavy metal, classical rock and some electronic music too...

from what i know the monster turbine coppers and miles davis are pretty good...i have read something about the new jvc fx700s as well...i dont know how good they are....

my price range is max 400....i was wondering if anyone could suggest good earphones with solid bass and according to my music preferences and price range...

thanks in advance.

edit:

i'd like to add the re0 and ie8 to the list as well....

my price range is 400 but if i can find something cheaper without taking a big hit to the quality i'd take that too..

but again i wanna find the best phones for the given price range so that i dont have to upgrade anytime soon

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 26
I would actually like to add the re0 and ie8 to the list of phones that i have read good things about...

in addition to all that....my price range is 400 but if i can find something cheaper without taking a big hit to the quality i'd take that too...

but again i want to get the best earphones possible for that price range so that i dont have to upgrade for atleast sometime in the future...

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 26
JH5 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 26
JH5s are custom iems right?

i dont think customs are a good idea for me as they are too much hassle to get and they take more than month to get to u...am i right?

what about sm3s how do they compare to the list above?

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 26
So far SM3 your best option for max $400 and reviews shows it's overall amazing soundquality IEMs with really wide soundstage(great for electronic n all other genres). I think you won't need to upgrade after any time soon and they are quite durable for long listening sessions.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 26
I highly suggest starting small and working your way up to appreciate the sonic differences. I would suggest the Sennheiser IE7 (can be found under $150); good clarity and excellent bass response. It will be different from your V-Moda's, and is very likely to make you grin from the first time you listen to them.

However, be careful of Sennheiser fakes. Only buy from an authorized dealer, preferably from a physical brick-and-mortar store.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 26
i like the suggestion of buying something cheaper and move up so that i actually appreciate the quality....

but just out of curiosity how do u rate the sm3s solidvictory?

i see u have them in ur sig....how do u compare them to the monsters or other iems

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 26
Check out the Radius DDM thread.  $150 @ accessoryjack for the best sounding dynamic driver phone for the price.  As for the SM3, shigzeo and others have said as good as it is, the bass of its balanced armatures will not match the bass of good dynamics like the JVC, Monsters and Radius.  If that even matters to you.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
i like the suggestion of buying something cheaper and move up so that i actually appreciate the quality....

but just out of curiosity how do u rate the sm3s solidvictory?

i see u have them in ur sig....how do u compare them to the monsters or other iems

They are excellent in all parts of the audio spectrum. However, would I be able to truly understand how well they perform, had I not listened to many lower-quality IEMs in the past? I highly doubt it. I would have probably thought they were great and all, but would not understand many attributes of its sound signature.

I think experience plays a huge part in what we perceive as "good audio quality". This is why I recommend that you start with a lower-priced IEM.

@Anaxilus: I'm sorry but, the SM3's bass not only matches but surpasses many dynamic IEM's that I have heard. The impact is not artificially enhanced like my IE8, but it can go deeper and reacts much faster with better detail than my IE8. This whole fight over balanced armatures vs. dynamic drivers will never end, will it?

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
They are excellent in all parts of the audio spectrum. However, would I be able to truly understand how well they perform, had I not listened to many lower-quality IEMs in the past? I highly doubt it. I would have probably thought they were great and all, but would not understand many attributes of its sound signature.

I think experience plays a huge part in what we perceive as "good audio quality". This is why I recommend that you start with a lower-priced IEM.

@Anaxilus: I'm sorry but, the SM3's bass not only matches but surpasses many dynamic IEM's that I have heard. The impact is not artificially enhanced like my IE8, but it can go deeper and reacts much faster with better detail than my IE8. This whole fight over balanced armatures vs. dynamic drivers will never end, will it?

Well, shigzeo who has heard them seems to disagree w/ you on that.  I have no doubt that a single B/A bass armature can resolve detail, and be quicker.  I do doubt that it can move the air to provide the 3D texture, weight, impact, decay, reverb of a dynamic.  When it can, maybe they will put B/A's in headphones.  This may upset some people but I find B/A's tend to represent notes more 2 dimensionally whereas dynamics have the potential to add that third axis of resolution.  Yes B/A's are very quick and accurate and w/ a good x-over can sound great.  I just hear music in a way that dynamics tend to match my tastes is all.

And yes the debate will never end, why should it?  
wink_face.gif

Edit-If I ever get to meet up w/ Joe and hear his SM3's, if the SM3 bass matches my MD's in texture I'll eat my word's and sell my MD's.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 26
How about Ortofon e-Q7 or suggested by some one here Radius DDMs?  e-Q7 are best sounding BA in the market. Cost at $329 through Authorized USA or UK dealers. (ALO, iheadphones).with warranty and all that.
DDMs are cheaper ($170) and are dynamic with dual diaphragm matrix system. Sounds as good as any other $300 price range IEMs.

DDM are also available in USA, also I read somewhere this are sold in UK or Australia shops. If you are located in any of those places, you should go and check it out in person. Nothing better then auditioning earphones in person. All best.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 26
I think not many people will even come close to owning all of those. Till this weekend, I will only have heard Miles Davis, IE8, FX-700 and SM3 only. Only people I know who come close to (almost) owning all of those include average Joe, Ericp10, Lucozade, Shigzeo and a few others.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Ok heres the questions then...rank the following iems according to how u percieve them...

mtmd
mtpc
ie7
fx700
sm3
eq7
radius ddm...

this will make my decision much easier...

You really are better off explaining what you want to get out of your IEM's.  Everyone might have different priorities and that will make your ranking request pointless.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 26
like i said in the first post...i listen to different kinds of music...lots of classical rock and heavy metal....i listen to some electronic music too so bass is very important...i need overall balanced earphones that are not too uncomfortable for long use...durable too...

thats all i can say about what i need from my earphones....i cant explain it in technical terms or what kind of mids/lows i need....so if u want u can ask me any specific questions...for me my needs only go this far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back