New Ducatis
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still thinking S4RS, red (or possibly Tricolore if I can find one these days).

Tricolore isn't that limited, Wayne
wink.gif
Far more Tricolore Monster was produced compared to 1098 and multistrada, if I remember correctly. My dealership had 3 that's been lying around for good 5 months.

Quote:

No kidding! Anyone who doubts this statement, just watch a couple Ducati YouTube videos. Is the 696 the only monster with a wet clutch?

I came to love this sound, but I also quickly alienated my neighbors. In matter of days. Only people who are impressed are: 15year old boy two houses down who rides his bicycle to school, that 17 (or 16?) year old girl across my house who's desperately looking for an older boyfriend, and that soccer mom at the end of our road.

It's usually case of "Click!Click!Click!Click!GRRRR "BARK! BARK!" Click!Click!Click! "BARK! BARK!" Click!Click!GRRR"" in my case

Multistrada, GT1000, sport 1000S, 848 have wet clutches as well
wink.gif

Quote:

I honestly think his 99.99% is fairly close. About 1 in 1,000 riders is a pro, or so I would guess. Probably 10% of all Ducati monster riders can get "most" of what this bike would have to offer out of it. Maybe 1% could get "nearly all" but it's a rare dude who can push that kind of bike before he's pushed himself too far. To make matters worse, I'm most likely in the 10% least qualified to rude such a bike, if not in the 1% or 0.1%.

The same it true, BTW, with respect to ultra fast cars. I can't even pretend to think that I can push my Atom anywhere near to it's limits (mine is the maxed out 300hp supercharged version), and realistically would never even be able to push a 205hp normally aspirated Atom. The feather touch type of responsiveness in terms of acceleration, braking and steering is simply mind boggling to a hack like me.

I can't push my monster to its limits. I'm probably pushing it to 70%. Max. I know there's more grip in there, but I'm not about to sacrifice my limbs to find out
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tricolore isn't that limited, Wayne
wink.gif
Far more Tricolore Monster was produced compared to 1098 and multistrada, if I remember correctly. My dealership had 3 that's been lying around for goof 5 months.

Supposedly, only 400 S4RS Tricolore were made. Don't know about the others. At least that's good if they're not terribly hard to find.

Quote:

Multistrada, GT1000, sport 1000S, 848 have wet clutches as well
wink.gif

I might consider a Multistrada 1100S (although I hate the looks of it) since it's supposed to be a much better "tame" ride for around town. My gut says no, however.

Quote:

I can't push my monster to its limits. I'm probably pushing it to 70%. Max. I know there's more grip in there, but I'm not about to sacrifice my limbs to find out
wink.gif

I'd be lucky to get 50% out of it because: I really don't have much riding experience; I'm terribly out of shape; I'm much older than the kinds of guys who can still push such a machine without a lot of riding experience; I can get the same thrill with much less risk with the Atom; and I value my life and limbs. Which kind of suggests that I probably shouldn't get one at all, but as much as I've been fussing over them, my guess is that I will get one, at least eventually.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 55
Too busy looking for me personally. I have never been a fan of the truss frames on the Ducks. Ducati does have some great looking sport bikes though.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #22 of 55
Not my cup of tea either.
The regular 1098 (going to be 1198) are stunner, but this one just look strange.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 55
I say yuck. I never understood the whole allure for the streetfighter/naked look.

Anyways, with regards to the ability to utilize all the potential of a bike, You have to really take things in context. If you're expecting to push a sportsbike to any significant percentage of its available horsepower on the street, you're just asking for it. The idea of trying to drag a knee on public roads is just plain reckless. I do my fair share of "spirited" riding but no where near what I see other riders do which they seem to have a death wish to fullfill.

I ride an 04 ZX-10R...hence my screen name. I can say unequivocably I do not and have not explored the full potential of this bike. So some would ask, why would you buy a bike you know you won't push? Well, there's more to street riding than many people think. First, when you're riding on the street, the ability to have torque on tap is a good thing. But you have to have some experience on how to modulate that torque properly. The other thing is at the time I bought my bike, it was one of the few bikes which I felt comfortable sitting on. I'm 6'5" and finding a bike which doesn't make me sick of it after a few minutes ride is pretty tough.

Now I've been to a track school called the California Superbike School run by Keith Code. I went last year and this year for their 2 day camp down at VIR. I successfully completed level IV this past go around. I can say after being on the track, I have zero urge to play around on the street. At the school, I used their ZX-6 bikes which were 07s and 08s. I can say I probably tapped in to about 80% of the potential of those bikes on the track. Maybe slightly higher. Even though I finished all their levels, you can bet I'll be back next year to do another round of the 2 day camp. I managed to shave off 10-15 seconds off my laptop from last year to this year. It'll be cool to be able to start clicking off times close to what the AMA Pro racers do on that track.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #24 of 55
I quite like the looks of the Streetfighter S in red:
Streetfighter_S_Front.jpg

$19k for the S version is getting a bit steep though. I think the S4RS in red or Tricolore would be a better value, while maintaining the classic "monster" look as well.

s4rs.jpg

thumb_2,163_0.jpg

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #25 of 55
You said you didn't like the streetfighter!!! quick mind-chager you!!
biggrin.gif

yeah monster S4R 1000 over 1100 anytime too.

it just has that classic scowl.

I don't need any more power, I have trouble keeping my two wheels on the road already
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 55
I hear you there. I'll probably end with with a red one too. Just like you! Too funny. I've circled around and around, and have right back to where I was to begin with.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #27 of 55
if you can grab a mint S4RS Testa, jump on one. It won't disappoint (or tricolre, which is basically S4RS testa with paint)
Aside from more grunt, you must opt for Ohlins shocks - I found it to be far more stable in corners than my old M600.

Mind you, this may result in false sense of confidence in corners though
wink.gif

Only caveat with dry-clutch (aside from that wonderfully annoying noise) is that they suffer from significant wear and tear and clutch replacements are recommended every 10000km.

I'm still at around 2200km, it's not a problem yet.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #28 of 55
I´m a honda guy to the extend to almost fanatic point,but this spring i did see the HyperMotard and it did talk right to my hart!
i did almost cal my bank,then i did read the tech-info a +1000 bike whit less then 120Bhp its a joke i did think now i pry that they will put that grate desmo-enigen in the hyper some time SOOON!
i do have MX history so i like to go sideways,and the hypermotard i think will be a blast fore just that!
IMO fast is not always the most thrilling ride!
BTW in sweden the monster is kind of a girls bike,lots of girls ride them to meetings!

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #30 of 55
ok i´m sorry if i did step on some ones love!
but hay i´m just saying hove it is over her in Sweden!(Sory!)
over her we have a long winter so tweking comes natural to os!
i now at least 4hayabusas whit over 420bhp only in my town!

and pleas dont name sportster i´m homofobic!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back