New DT880 Owner Needs Help
Oct 27, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know by now:
a) the current 600 ohm version is a better choice
b) you should be able to achieve happiness by burn-in of 150 hours (take a look at tips page on Jan Meier site)
c) a tubed amp is a better choice for them (an ASL MG Head OTL MkIII is one of those that work well and is of low cost - replace the stock tubes)
d) stick to the Velour earpads that come on them
e) dt990/600, and Darths are also nice
smily_headphones1.gif

I think in this case these would just be band-aids on a bullet wound. There's a serious synergy problem here and I don't think it's anything to do with the headphones themselves.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 19
True.

A Berliner in NYC - has our HomelandSecurity fallen asleep again?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #18 of 19
Oh, I have forgotten about modding... you all might be interested by this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark-Audio Labs
Damping of the treble. You need to remove the earpad and the ring of foam, then cut a new ring of fabric (of the same diameter) and put it directly on the transducer's grid. Next put the original foam ring again and mount the earpad.
ABOUT THE MATERIAL. We experimented with a lot of fabrics/materials, and the right one that has suitable parameters is a synthetic, 1-2 mm thick, material, something like "artificial wool" or thin felt/plush. The idea is that it has to dampen frequencies above ca. 8kHz. You can experiment with diffrents fabrics. Too dense materials will kill highs, while the stiff or too dense ones will attenuate the bass. For best, verified results you can order our
material (15 euros).

I have never gotten around to trying this or even answering the guy. What a pity...

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 19
I have doubts about that mod.. Once upon a time I removed the orig. felt-like fabric and.......trust me - you wouldn't like it. .....now, do alot of testing on various pieces, or buy theirs @ 15 Euros without personally knowing someone who bought it and used it and personally recommended it? Nah. No way as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back