New Design - The MouseAmp! (Pics)
Feb 20, 2003 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mhamel

500+ Head-Fier
The MouseAmp!

Pictures at:

Mike's MouseAmp Page

Ok, so I did the CMoy in the Intel wireless base station enclosure ( http://www.richat.com/mhamel/photos/cmoy-v1/ )and it got me hooked on retrofitting fun enclosures. I figured the base station makes a good desktop amp, so why not use the matching wireless mouse to make a portable amp.

When I took the mouse out of the box, I realized it's got a great location for batteries already, but it was limited to using 3 AAAs. Not great for an op-amp based amplifier unless I used something like the AD823. I didn't have any of those around, and I wanted to experiment a bit, so I built a new design from the ground up based on the datasheet circuit for the National LM4881N. It's a 200mW headphone amp chip with decent specs and a nice low power requirement. It runs *great* off of a 4.5v single supply and when all was said and done sounds surprisingly good. Total current draw (including the LED) when playing at quite a loud volume is about 6-7mW according to my meter.

I thought about using a step-up regulator and using a stock CMoy design, a buffered CMoy using AD823s, or an A47 with dual AD823s, but I would need to make things a LOT smaller to fit all of that extra stuff. I still may give that a shot, but I'm pretty happy with it as-is for now.

The other thing I wanted to retain was the mouse wheel - but fit the volume pot into the case so that the wheel controls the volume. That was the most fun part of the project aside from the amp itself.

I briefly entertained the thought of building an on/off controller for the power and retaining the left mouse button function to handle that, but it would have used more power and probably too big to fit unless I tried to build it with surface mount parts. It also would have made it too easy to flip the amp on and off inadvertantly.

I broke a few of the "rules" for good sound, including electrolytic output coupling caps, but the goal here was to build something that first and foremost fit cleanly into this enclosure with its' size and power supply limitations, but still sounded reasonably good with decent runtime from the batteries.

The amp uses miniature 1uF film caps at the input, and I used Beyshlag metal fim resistors throughout. The electrolytics are a combination of things I had hanging around. The volume pot is also something I had a bag of hanging around that I picked up from a surplus shop - which is a good thing, since I went through 5 of them before I finally got the mounting design worked out to my liking.

It's still breaking-in, and I'm hoping the mids and highs mellow out a bit, but bass response is very good and full. Not as tight as the CMoy, but it seems to play deeper. The mids/highs on the CMoy are smoother and more laid back, but we'll see what happens after this has another 30-40 hours on it. So far it's got about 20 hours and still running strong on its' first set of batteries.

-Mike

Feb 20, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 15
That's rad! I love what you did with the potentiometer.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Another great amp by mhamel, congrats!

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 15
wow, first the basestation, now the mouse

like the others, im very impressed with your use of the wheel to control the volume. just awesome!

Feb 20, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 15
Just awesome!!! I wish that I had 1/10th of your talent!

Don't stop. Keep 'em coming
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 15
looks good and the wheel for volume is great.

why did you use output and input coupling caps though? for a cmoy type amp, output caps are not needed and input caps can be unneeded if you check your source for dc offset. removing these, if no dc offset is present, will make it smaller and sound better.

Feb 21, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks everyone! :)

Guzzler - That's a good idea for an upcoming project. I have another base station and wireless mouse that I may convert to amps, and I could do the base-station as a USB-powered amp.

Puck - It's not a CMoy - it's a new design based on the LM4881N headphone amp chip. I was experimenting to see what kind of sound I'd get out of it, since it runs well with very low power, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. It still needs some break-in before I compare to my CMoy, but I'll post more on that once it's got some more hours on it.

I have to go browsing around Ebay to see what else I can pick up that would make a fun enclosure for a project. My Meta parts are on order and I ordered a couple of the mini Gilmore boards, so they're going to need homes. :) I'm going to have to start selling them off if I keep building them like this... I love building them, but don't really have much use for more than a couple of amps.

-Mike

Feb 21, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

:) I'm going to have to start selling them off if I keep building them like this... I love building them, but don't really have much use for more than a couple of amps.

i know what you mean. i have something like 7 amps now sitting around my apartment. i need to get rid of a few of them but...they all kinda have sentimental value
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

I have to go browsing around Ebay to see what else I can pick up that would make a fun enclosure for a project.

I think a CMOY in a Zippo lighter case would be very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back