NEW! Denon Music Maniac AH-D340
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:
I'm just worried about comfort, since I've yet to have a pair of on-ears that didn't hurt after about a half-hour.

zero issue with comfort here.  For on-ear, these are super comfy.  There isn't much clamping force and the large ear pads are very soft.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:
will these have a similar tubular soundstage as the older denon cans i know? somehow, their soundstage seemd artiffical and aunreal to me.

I the only older Denon I now own is the D7000 so I can't comment on how the D340 compares to other similar priced older Denons.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 49
I am *very* anxious to hear more of your thoughts on these headphones.  I have a set of Harman/Kardon's CL headphones, and have very little to complain about sound-wise, but there's enough clamping force that for me they become quite uncomfortable after about 45 minutes.  I'm hoping the combination of larger, ear-encompassing pads and less force is a winner.  But Denon's products have been hit-or-miss for me.  I've loved just about all of their IEM models, and the AH-D1001 was a winner.  The D1100 sounded 95% brilliant to me, but the bass was too obtrusive in enough of my music that it just didn't work out.

I've been staring at Amazon's page for these the past week, tempted to pull the trigger but without any reviews out anywhere I just can't bring myself to dish out the money.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 49
I can tell you that the D340 is a few steps above HK CL in terms of refinement, clarity, bass impact & soundstage.  The D340 is a little loose on the bass, but it should be the deal breaker.  Comfort is very high for on-ear design.  The D340 review will most likely show up in TONE and not on my YT channel.  Keep an eye out over there.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:
I am *very* anxious to hear more of your thoughts on these headphones.  I have a set of Harman/Kardon's CL headphones, and have very little to complain about sound-wise, but there's enough clamping force that for me they become quite uncomfortable after about 45 minutes.  I'm hoping the combination of larger, ear-encompassing pads and less force is a winner.  But Denon's products have been hit-or-miss for me.  I've loved just about all of their IEM models, and the AH-D1001 was a winner.  The D1100 sounded 95% brilliant to me, but the bass was too obtrusive in enough of my music that it just didn't work out.

I've been staring at Amazon's page for these the past week, tempted to pull the trigger but without any reviews out anywhere I just can't bring myself to dish out the money.

Have you tried modding them like this suppose to reduce the bass down to more normal levels and balance out the sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580669/denon-ah-d1100-modding

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #25 of 49

Out of the box, pretty gorgeous build, nice pad, nice comfort. But the sounding is kinda not-so-like his big brother D600. Soundstage is not pretty wide (but not pretty narrow like HD25's), a bit boost on the upper mid to make the vocal rather forward. Bass is nice, the mid bass is boosted a bit, but not too much to disrupt the other frequency range. Treble is pretty much normal, not too much fancy treble boost (grado lover will kinda disappointed here :D). The tuning of this headphone is kinda tilted to the "safe" region. Not too much treble , not to much bass, clarity is good across frequency range.

Right now I'm burning-in this stuff. Let's see how it'll work out in a few days :D.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 49
I picked these up on a discount, got them for 140 dollars. I didn't expect much to be honest, got them just because they were at less than half their usual price. They sound pretty good out of the box. I expected a bass heavy sound V-shaped sound, especially with the music maniac written on the box, but it's exactly the opposite. Its quite neutral sounding, especially the bass. Not that there's no bass, there is, and its well extended and smooth, but its quite neutral, very tight and punchy, not at all loose. Overall balance is somewhat bright. There definitely is some high frequency emphasis which makes it sound particularly clear and fast. It sort of reminds me of the T1 in a way when it comes to overall balance. Smooth and neutral with a slightly spiky high end. Vocals and high pitched instruments are quite forward sounding. Soundstage is not very big, but it is expansive and deeper than expected for a closed portable headphone. The best thing is, it sounds great out of an iPhone, so I'm glad it will work as a portable headphone in that respect.

What I don't like is the fact that I got only one short cable, no longer cable for home use, so I'll have to spend more money on that. Also, they fit weird, there's barely any clamping force, and them being on-ear headphones, they feel really loose on the head, because they're basically sitting on ears without pressing the ears onto my head, so it only takes a force that usually bends the ears to move the headphones, add to that a very small contact area on the headband, and it all results in a very sloppy fit. I can't move my head without feeling like they will fall off. They're also quite big and bulky. They stick out to the sides of my head when wearing them.

Lastly...Denon, a tip for you. If you're gonna make a downloadable app on the Appstore, and make it free to download, then make the freaking features of the app free. This is the first music playing app that requires me to pay $1.99 to use a freaking equalizer. I payed for the headphones, I want the app for free as it says on the box. Its not about the 2 dollars, its about the principle.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #27 of 49
Hey hifiguy, how big is the difference between the D340 and D600? I'm finding the D340 very good with exception of having less bass than I'd want and a pretty small soundstage, it can also sound too forward sometimes, like its too loud even when its not.. If thats what D600 improves, I'd pull the trigger on them. D340 sound VERY clear and clean to me, there's absolutely no hint of muddiness. Everything is very crisp, and its quite a detailed headphones, I'd even maybe put on the level with DT880's and K701's in terms of detail and nuances that become very clear when listening to music with them. Definitely a higher sound quality than on the DT770 pro's. 299$ is a fair price for these definitely, and at 140 that I payed, its an incredible value.

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 49
I just got these in the mail. I originally owned the D600 but they did not fit my needs because they were so huge. They sounded great but I thought, it might be a better idea to downgrade in this case. Anyways, right out the box I loved the shape and size of the D340s. My only complaint is the cable. It's really thin and the mic is not that great. The reviewer on ToneAudio said he used a different cable by ALO Audio. I'm hoping to find out which cable he is talking about. The sound is still amazing, even with this inferior cable. I can definitely hear my E17's worth with these headphones compared to my results with the M50s. The M50s made my E7 and E17 sound pretty identical connected to my desktop. The Denons make the E17 shine, the music sounds full and balanced. Not too bright but not too dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back