new Denon IEM c560R
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

supracrazy_tommy

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just saw these new Denon IEMs at my local best buy.  I love Denon; I used the denon c710 for so long my only gripe is the wire is so thin.  Does anyone kno how the sound quality of the denon c560R compare to the c710 ?

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 9
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I'll take a shot at this, there's a first time for everything. I can only speak to my own experience with equipment I have or have used.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Design:[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]These are offset angled so they work well in the wire down position. Wearing them over the ear is difficult, but not impossible. Of course if you don't mind switching channels left to right then it makes over ear downright comfy. There is a nice zippered case and I can put my Nano in there with the IEM's for a nice little package on the go. The inline control works very nicely to change tracks forward/back, pause, and adjust volume. I don't have an iPhone, but the microphone function works very nicely with my En-V Touch .[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]The wires were a little bothersome at first. The outer covering is softer than my Sennhieser's and on a par with my Sony EX-71's only thicker, much thicker than my Senn CX-300 II's. They will take a little bit of a set if kept coiled for extended periods, but straighten out quickly and don't get tangled easily.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Speaking of tangles, these are "Y" wired with the control and microphone located and the junction of the "Y". This control rests on my sternum when I have them in the over ear position, and just below it in the down position. There is also a bead slider that takes up the slack in the wire to keep it cinched and reduces wire noise. Unlike the "J" wires of my Sony's and Senn's these don't take 5 minutes to untangle when I want to use them![/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Workmanship is robust and well executed.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]The housings are hefty and I think I could step on one and not break it, and I am 230 Lbs. There are three silicone tips in S,M, & L with a set of foam tips for good measure. The silicone tips are very hard! The Sony Hybrid Green (medium) Meanies fit me great, and while the medium size from Denon fit they do not conform to the ear shape and have pressure points. Plan on replacing these tips.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]The remote control is a little cheesy, and is not on par with the housings themselves. I guess that it will last but this I wouldn't step on and expect it to work again. The wires terminate in a 90deg plug, and the length is plenty long for me to put my Nano in my pants pocket and wear these in the over ear configuration without a problem and I'm 6'3".[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]These were kinda an impulse purchase. I had bought the CX-300 II's and liked the Senn sound compared to my old Sony's and a cheap pair of Ink'd I use for the gym. I was looking for either the S4i or the MM 70i when I went to Best Buy and saw these. I am getting a new Touch and thought it would be great to have the remote.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]All righty then, enough BS....[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]What do they sound like:[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I'm not really an audiophile nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, so I will have to put this in terms I hope will make sense. There is an 11.5 mm single dynamic driver that offers up a lot of bass. It's not muddy and it doesn't over power the rest of the sound, but it will vibrate the medulla oblongata and massage the vertebra in your neck. It is precise and controlled with a full range where the Sony’s don’t have any and the Ink’d have a lumpy curve. The bass is very close to the CX-300 II and if I were to do a blind test I would have a tough time distinguishing between them. The Bass on these is much stronger than my HD-448 cans.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]The midrange is smoother than the Senn CX-300 II’s but with the clarity to hear the breath of the woodwind or the scratch of the bow on a Cello. The Senn’s have more attack but it almost seems un-natural and edgy, or tinny compared to the Denons. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]The high end of the spectrum is not over powered or veiled by the lower or mid ranges. There is no sibilance in vocal reproduction which for me is a huge pet peeve. There is a blind spot at around 15 KHz that might just be my ears (52 years old) but kicks back in and is strong up to where I can’t hear it anymore. Triangles, cymbals, xylophones and other upper range instruments stand right out and float above the resonate bass. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I’m still working on the entire “Soundstage” thing. Don’t get me wrong, I love good music and I try to picture the placement of the instruments, but interpreting the audio distance from a single point based on volume and echo are far too dependent on the recording and not the ability of the reproduction equipment… sorry for the rant. With this caveat, these do a good job of reproducing the recording and have good separation while isolating exterior sound. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Summary:[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Value for the buck is not really high based solely on the sound compared to the CX-300 II’s. These have a very similar signature with the Denon’s sounding more refined. Factoring in the build quality and the remote brings up their value point. If they had he MM 70i at the store I would have bought those, but after comparing these to the CX-300 II’s I’m not sure that would have been the best choice. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]"Edited for Spelling & Grammer"[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Since my last post I have purchased a set of Klipsch S4i IEMs. Comparing these to the Denons shows some differences that if you own the S4i should make some sense.

The Denons are a little easier to drive. Plugging the S4i and the Denons into my Fiio amp I am able to discern a difference in volume. Can't say how much in db's, but the Denons are easier to drive. To get equal volume I would have to add about 5 points on the volume control. So when I am listening to the Denons on 10 the S4i needs to be on 15 to get the same loudness... am I making any sense?

Th next thing is the low end. I have read that the S4i has a lot of bass, but from my perspective the Denons have a lot more! But, the S4i has a much more controlled bass.

The sound stage on the S4i is broader than the denons but the Denons have a much warmer tonallity.

I'm still buring in the S4i set. I have had them running for about 30 hours so in a couple more days 72 hours total I'll do another comparison.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 9
I can't caompare the Denon 560 to the Denon 710, but in the last week got both the Denon 560 and the Klipsch S4. I personally prefer the Denon's. They just have an over all better sound to my ears. Of course these are both new nad have not been burned in, so thinkgs could change. Over the past few days I still prefer the Denond. Not to mention the Denons are built tough.

I agree with the above post, the Denons do seem to have more bass.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 9
I would also add that the 560 would logically be a lower level product than the 710. I can't compare but I would assume them to be a downgrade, but also less expensive.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Just got a pair of these yesterday, working on burning them in still but I love them so far. I'm only coming from ipod headphones so it's a huge upgrade for me. The bass seems pretty good, not overpowering but you can hear it on songs that have a lot of it. I'm not so good at describing mids or treble, but that seems decent to my ears too...

As far as the bass goes, one of my most surprising moments came today with a song called "burn one down" by ben harper, it's got bongo drums and I had never been able to hear a really low drum beat that's basically pure bass. I guess that's how horrible my ibud phones were.  

I mostly bought these over other phones just for the mic/remote.  But I've been pleasantly surprised so far.  

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Alright, the S4i has the Denon 560 beat hands down. The S4i is clean with a tight controlled bass and way more head room with bright highs. The Denons are veiled, slow and have attenuated high end.

Updated: 12-Jan-2011

Earlier I noted that these are build tough and that I thought I could step on them and they would be OK. I was WRONG. I wore them while snow blowing the driveway and stopped to chat with my neigbor. After removing my gloves, hood, hat, noise reducing earmuffs, and the Denons I didn't want to put them all back on so I tucked the Denons in my jacket and the ear muffs in my pocket. I started back up the driveway and felt a tug on my pocket where my iPod was kept. Sure enough the Denons had fallen out of the jacket and I stepped on them...

Crunch...

I will be replacing these with a second pair of the Klipsch.

From now on I'll be using cheap skull candy crap for working around the yard and running power equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back